Windows 7: Hate it.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MeldaProduction wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:So had my work PC rebuilt and it now has Windows 7 :x

First problem: the icons in the taskbar wider than a pregnant hippo.
How can I narrow them? I'm already using "small icons"

I hate this POS. Give me XP back any day!!!!!
It's matter of what you are used to. When I switched from Win XP, I was like you. Now I consider Win 7 the best OS ever - fast, stable and f*** beautiful :). I cannot say that about anything else from Win XP, Mac OS, Linux, and unfortunately not even Win 8...
even after i take my angry hat off for a sec I fail to see how this is beautiful.
Each to their own though.

Glad it works for you mate :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

So i've managed to remove that horrendous new menu/icon bar and replace with the old Quick Launch bar. At least the buttons stay still now.

Next thing to do:
- Work out how to access my favourites from Windows Explorer instead of only under Internet Explorer as it appears now :x

It's not growing on me in the slightest.

C:/Users/<username>/Favorites
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:C:/Users/<username>/Favorites
Yeah but how to pin it to the Menu Bar like before?
I'm not going to click through to that each time. Favourites are designed to be shortcuts. 3x clicks isnt a shortcut.

Mushy Mushy wrote:So you're telling me I can hide the analog clock that appears when I click in the digital one?
No.
But can you hide the ones in OSX or Linux?
Or Windows XP?
Windows has always had the analog clock, but -I'll give you that- you had to double-click.
I seriously don't get what might offend you there.
How bored are you at work that you worry about being displayed the time in another format.
Who gives a toss.
Mushy Mushy wrote:And it opens the program right where the taskbar icon is :x
So I have Program, Program, Icon, Program :roll:
Just like it does in OSX or Linux.
And guess what... if you open multiple instances of one program by SHIFT-clicking the icon... it even groups them. Both the SHIFT-Clicking and the grouping are features that help keep your taskbar tidy and speeding up work, I wish the mighty OSX had them.
I, again, serioulsy don't get what might offend you with that.

If you want your computer to look like 1996, then just disable the Designs service (WIN+R -> "services.msc" -> ENTER) and Bob's your uncle.

Did you google how to have the explorer.exe open the Explorer on the "Computer" level rather than the libraries when you drag its link into the task bar? Or is that the next thing that will tick you off? Followed by the Indexing service, the Windows Search thing, the f**king annoying way you can now NOT drag a window to the edge of the screen and NOT have it adjust its size...

I don't mean to pick a fight, but people with your attitude piss me off.
"Ey, it's different! What a load of crap! It's always been good the way it was, I don't want it the new way!"
Like you and your habits are the measure for the rest of the world.
Like you not being able to cope with it would be that ONE opinion that negates the opinions of all the other Windows users who are happy with it.

I, as someone who has been using Windows since the 3.1 days, can and will vouch for Windows 7 as the best, fastest and most performant Windows operating System for modern Computer hardware.

They say "there's no use teaching an old dog new tricks".
If you want to be an old dog - don't try new tricks and bark if you can't manage.
If you don't want to be one - stop barking and learn the new tricks.

XP is an outdated P.O.S., it was stable and lean back then... but that's it.
It's not designed to run on any modern hardware with SSDs, USB3, Multi-Core CPUs, x64 architecture, multi gfx-card setups etc. It can't make efficient use of all the new technologies, CPU extensions, modern bus speeds, RAM > 3.6GB, etc.

So as "lean" and "fast" as it might have been back in its days, on a modern machine it would just be like dragging an anchor behind your boat. If you want to live in the past ... don't use Windows 7. If you don't, then quit ranting and learn.

If you have questions or feel bestranged and bewildered or don't know something... ask.
Don't belt out profanities, and please, don't ignore Google.
Last edited by chokehold on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Mushy Mushy wrote:how to pin it to the Menu Bar like before?
I sense that you haven't found out yet what the ALT key does in an Explorer window?

My only advice is to right click everything and 'Run As Administrator'. EVERYTHING.
Well, everything that has that on it. It will save you a lot of time and heartache...

chokehold wrote: I don't mean to pick a fight.
Really? Could have fooled me with that patronising attitude. Shifting to new systems is a pain all of us know and maybe you should try to read "a glimpse in the eyes" into the OP. You might catch some self-irony then instead of reasons to turn hostile.

osiris wrote:My only advice is to right click everything and 'Run As Administrator'. EVERYTHING.
Well, everything that has that on it. It will save you a lot of time and heartache...
If the user has administrator rights, this won't be necessary.

Also, turning off the User Account Control will make things a lot faster and easier.
That is if you're already bored by the stupid dialogs that always show up when you execute something. I reach that point at about 2-3 minutes after the Win7 installation has completed.

Just a side-note:

I know people are afraid that Satan might find a way into their machine and kill the small kittens inside that make it work if they turn off all the security shit.

Just don't click on every f*cking link that might be in an eMail from someone you don't know, offering tits or a bigger penis or "photos from last night" or absurdely high invoices and sh*t like that. Don't download and install "downloaders" or "access programs" for something you shouldn't anyway, and please - stay clear of cracked programs and websites offering them. Don't connect USB drives without virus-scanning them first, even if they're your own; just like coital hygiene - if it you stuck it into something else the last time, make sure it's clean before you stick it into yours.

On my system, I recklessly renamed the Administrator account, I had the UAC turned off, Defender/Firewall/Security Center all disabled, no permanently background-active Virus scanner... nothing.

<insert "dealing with a badass" meme here>

I followed those rules. Never had a single problem with a virus or a trojan or a worm or malware or spyware or anything else on my system. But it was fast as hell. :)

chokehold wrote:But can you hide the ones in OSX or Linux?
Dont give a toss, I dont use them.
chokehold wrote:Or Windows XP?.
Nup, but we're meant to be progressing arent we? If it does the same thing as something 2mm below it, why include it?
chokehold wrote:How bored are you at work that you worry about being displayed the time in another format.
Ridiculously busy. Busiest day of the month for me, and i'm forced to fart around finding sh!t.
chokehold wrote:Just like it does in OSX or Linux.
Again, dont give a toss.
chokehold wrote:And guess what... if you open multiple instances of one program by SHIFT-clicking the icon... it even groups them. Both the SHIFT-Clicking and the grouping are features that help keep your taskbar tidy and speeding up work, I wish the mighty OSX had them.
So did XP. Alt-tab scrolled through all open windows and kept recent ones together to flick back and forward between. 7 has this too obviously so I dont see any benefit whatsover to grouping them.
chokehold wrote:If you want your computer to look like 1996, then just disable the Designs service (WIN+R -> "services.msc" -> ENTER) and Bob's your uncle.
It's a work PC so I want it business like and functional. I don't need all this fluffy graphics and this See More Info About Person A social media rubbish (granted that is from Outlook)
chokehold wrote:Did you google how to have the explorer.exe open the Explorer on the "Computer" level rather than the libraries when you drag its link into the task bar? Or is that the next thing that will tick you off? Followed by the Indexing service, the Windows Search thing, the f**king annoying way you can now NOT drag a window to the edge of the screen and NOT have it adjust its size...
No, havent done that. Will look now. Thx.
chokehold wrote:I, as someone who has been using Windows since the 3.1 days
Yep, as have I. If we're going down that path I started on DOS.
chokehold wrote:If you want to be an old dog - don't try new tricks and bark if you can't manage.
If you read the original post, this is my work PC which died and they rebuilt it with 7. I had no say in the matter.
chokehold wrote:XP is an outdated P.O.S., it was stable and lean back then... but that's it.
It's not designed to run on any modern hardware with SSDs, USB3, Multi-Core CPUs, x64 architecture, multi gfx-card setups etc. It can't make efficient use of all the new technologies, CPU extensions, modern bus speeds, RAM > 3.6GB, etc.
Outdated? Says who. Are 19th century railroads outdated? No, because they work for the task at hand. This PC uses Outlook and Excel exclusively. XP was perfectly adequate.
chokehold wrote:don't use Windows 7. If you don't, then quit ranting and learn.
Didnt have a say.
chokehold wrote:If you have questions or feel bestranged and bewildered or don't know something... ask.
Don't belt out profanities, and please, don't ignore Google.
Ok will give you that.

chokehold wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:how to pin it to the Menu Bar like before?
I sense that you haven't found out yet what the ALT key does in an Explorer window?
?

Allows me to select menu items in the menu bar.
How does this help me having my Favourites back there?

IncarnateX wrote:
chokehold wrote: I don't mean to pick a fight.
Really? Could have fooled me with that patronising attitude. Shifting to new systems is a pain all of us know and maybe you should try to read "a glimpse in the eyes" into the OP. You might catch some self-irony then instead of reasons to turn hostile.
I explicitly wrote "with your attitude" and not "people like you" or "you", in order to make clear that I'm on about the way he relates his problems here, not about him having problems to adapt.

It's okay to blow off some steam, it's okay to not-know things, it's okay to find something strange and be uncomfortable - especially if you're doing something new.

But I don't see how adding "FFS", "bullsh!t" and "POS" to every post will help solving anything.

chokehold wrote:Just don't click on every f*cking link that might be in an eMail from someone you don't know, offering tits or a bigger penis or "photos from last night" or absurdely high invoices and sh*t like that. Don't download and install "downloaders" or "access programs" for something you shouldn't anyway, and please - stay clear of cracked programs and websites offering them. Don't connect USB drives without virus-scanning them first, even if they're your own; just like coital hygiene - if it you stuck it into something else the last time, make sure it's clean before you stick it into yours.
And you had a go at me about language. Seriously?

chokehold wrote:But I don't see how adding "FFS", "bullsh!t" and "POS" to every post will help solving anything.
I agree 100%.
That was until you did the same with your reply :?

Mushy Mushy wrote:I sense that you haven't found out yet what the ALT key does in an Explorer window?
?
Allows me to select menu items in the menu bar.
How does this help me having my Favourites back there?[/quote]
Pressing ALT brings up the menu bar, by going to "Tools" -> "Folder Options" you can set the option "Always show menus".
That brings back the "normal" menu bar in the Explorer window.
By right-clicking that menu bar, you can then un-lock it and that should theoretically give you the possibility to somehow put a Favorites bar beside it.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”