Windows 7: Hate it.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

codec_spurt wrote:
Any questions?
Sure. Why would you care about running xp on an older computer?

Anyhoo, I'm so happy with win7. Puts a smile on my face every day (with my i7 x64) :D

hibidy wrote:codec likes to get it ON! :hihi:

What I was upset about way way way WAY back in the olden days with my horse and buggy, was win7(vista) took extra ram compared to xp. Anyways, x64 rules and it's just not a bother anymore (sips coffee and reads paper)

Codec: Feet up: Says to wife: Call my good man hibidy over the water.
Get the horse and buggy ready. Finishes coffee, reading paper...

And get the Commodore 64 ready. I think he'll be amused...

eh eh... :D

BBC Model B anybody?

yl wrote: Linux.. .currently reserved for Jedis...
Er, no, Audio does not work on Linux. Not even geeks use it. It doesn't work.

hibidy wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
Any questions?
Sure. Why would you care about running xp on an older computer?

Anyhoo, I'm so happy with win7. Puts a smile on my face every day (with my i7 x64) :D
No, win7 is ok. It just is not as efficient as winxp. It needs more ram to load.
winxp can run in a coupla hundred, win7 takes a coupla gigabyte. It's not up for debate.

That is my argument...

I use win7 and it is great - really fantastic. It's just that if winxp run on the same system it would be more efficient. But then again winxp can't run with more than 4GB.

I don't care anyway, sorry if I gave the impression I did...

:lol:

I think you chaps have faster computers than me - my win7 machine is borderline useless. I suppose if you have a pretty up to date machine you would think it was better. But did you ever try it on a really old machine?

I'm a fanboi. No question.

codec_spurt wrote: WinXp can run on a 266MHz Pentium with 64MB of RAM. Win7 can't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6KRqm9sM9c

It can, useless to use though :S

My first PC (that wasn't the family 286) was a Pentium @ 400mhz, that couldn't run WinXP by default properly, in fact, it was terrible in comparison to Win98se.

Vehement and fundamentalist resistance to progress... What is the point? Saving the earth? Cheaper power bill? Feeling cool when you go to WinXP old boys reunions?
I play guitar

codec_spurt wrote: I think I made it quite clear. Win7 is shit compared to WinXp.
I never used OSX so can't say.
Linux. Anything would be better than Linux..

Any computer with an equivalent amount of RAM when running WinXp will outperform another computer which is running Win7.

Win7 is a resource hog. It's not even up for debate. If you understand my point, you will just say OK!. If you don't you can carry on arguing and make yourself look foolish.

WinXp can run on a 266MHz Pentium with 64MB of RAM. Win7 can't.

Any questions?
sure, why would I ?
(in the end of year 2012).. want to use a Pentium1 with 64 Mb or RAM? are you seriously serious ?
I'd rather use an old MPC really.

if that was my setup... you'd be sure I'll be running WinXP (am running it on my 7 year old laptop btw)..
or even Win2k

sure...
if you've got 64 Mb of RAM... using Win7 is an act in stupidity... there's no argument about that.

I'm talking about MODERN computers... you know...
the ones with OVER 4Gb of RAM... and multi-core processors.
also...in 2012...XP is not supported anymore by almost all major DAW software makers.

and I don't believe your statement to hold true in real life...
Win7 x64 (SP1) on my current system will outperform XP (running Ableton Live/Cubase any day of the week.
that's all I really care about....aside from the huge workflow improvements over xp that is...
and XP is also DISCONTINUED... (since 2010) and therefore, not developed for anymore..
by any major software maker...

it's 2012... wake up...Win7 is better than XP for modern systems.
it being a "resource hog" is what makes it run better/smoother than XP ever was on a 400Mhz processor...
(ffs.. my phone outperformes that!)

so... no question really..

I think codec was having a play ya'awl.

hibidy wrote:I think codec was having a play ya'awl.

Eh eh. Guess I'm just Mr. Obvious to some people. hibidy has seen my 'high-jinks' one too many times.

I love win7. It's great. Ok, it DOES use more RAM than winxp. But, lordy, what was I supposed to do with that extra 6 GigaByte? I'm glad it does use more RAM.

Also, it looks better. winxp is over 10 years old now, and showing it's age.
Apart from that, chip manufacturers have been taking advantage of extensions built into recent CPUs to run on the latest OS, which is win7.

I think we should start arguing about win8 now and what a dog that is. Though I am sure someone will say how great it is.

And now we have parallel processing. Not to mention concurrent programming.

I listened to a 2 hour lecture by the guy that built the extra cores onto the intel chips. He explained about how it would all break down around octo-core.

This is the guy that built the chip.

I know nothing. But I don't think too many others that comment on KVR know much more.

Win7 is the best. It takes advantage of multi-core processing in a way that winxp never bargained for. It's a small advantage, but a real one, in the real world. It's the future...

Can't wait to see how people are getting along with win8 though. Audio was never a Microsoft priority...

Nuts and bolts are basically the same from win98se - win8 for me, still using the same software although it has bloated up over the years as well.

The bit everyone is whinging about is when they are f**king around really, the experience inside DAW etc is just the same old click this, drag that and use these hotkeys it was with N-Track/studio (my first audio software) way back.
I play guitar

Mushy outta change this to "ok, it's fine now" :hihi:

Just as I was starting to come around to it it deletes my profile settings :x
All me shortcuts, taskbar icons etc. All gone.
What a f**king POS this is.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

hibidy wrote:Mushy outta change this to "ok, it's fine now" :hihi:
Not yet.
I HATE it still. Grrrrr!!!

There's not one thing it does better than XP. Not one thing.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: There's not one thing it does better than XP. Not one thing.
The Windows + cursor key shortcuts spring to mind - I love them. I miss them in XP when I use it at work.

The Start menu is different (I'd say slightly improved), but I don't really use it to start apps - does anyone? If you do, the new "type the name of the app" function is definitely better than searching in a colossal mess of folders that are all named by vendor rather than application name or type. So it's much easier to find stuff the few times you actually use the Start menu to start something. Personally I tend to just use the Start menu to end Windows.

Otherwise I've set up Win 7 so it looks pretty much the same as my XP install did - which looked pretty much the same as 2000 did, which wasn't that different from 98 either.

Only two things really irk me, and I've solved the issues:
No "parent folder" button in Explorer (I've added one).
The "search function" is a misnomer; you need a third party app if you actually want to find any files.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”