Buying a new laptop - the firewire issue

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there, here's my situation. I've been making music for 5-6 years using a laptop with firewire and a Presonus Firebox soundcard. I need to buy a new laptop because this one is on its last legs.

Now, i'm really happy with my current setup and would just like the RAM and CPU boost that buying a new laptop would bring. The only problem is that i'm finding it very difficult to find a laptop with firewire.

What are people typically doing in my situation?

Thanks for any help!

a) Macbook Pro has firewire (they DO run Windows btw...)

b) Adkproaudio sells music-ready laptops with firewire

c) you need to find a laptop with and Expresscard slot, then you can add a firewire card.

option c doesnt work 1/2 the time.. (DPC issues)

Thanks for the replies. In regards to option B im in the UK unfortunately. A i'd try to avoid if i could help it just due to the fact i'd be paying a fair bit more money for the same cpu power/RAM etc which is what i care about but i was unaware of that as an option, so thanks.

As far as option C is concerned, is it basically a lottery as to whether this would work or is there anything that can be done to avoid problems?

I got my express card from Maplins make sure it's a Texas Instruments compatible with the interface you will be using,just research compatibility issues to be sure, I use Presonus Firepod with HP laptop

jcschild wrote:option c doesnt work 1/2 the time.. (DPC issues)
Can you please explain the DPC Issues and how one can test for them?

Thanks

vaisnava wrote:
jcschild wrote:option c doesnt work 1/2 the time.. (DPC issues)
Can you please explain the DPC Issues and how one can test for them?

Thanks
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

There are plenty of PC notebooks with firewire, just look around at the different manufacturers.

When checking laptop specifications different manufacturers can call the port different things:

Apple: Firewire
non-Sony PCs: ieee1394
Sony PCs: i.Link

You want a laptop with a Texas Instrument chipset -- they play best with audio gear. The only sure-fire way I know of to check this is in Windows to use the device manager to check the chipset information. On Mac they should be TI chips. If you have access to a mac machine you can run System Profiler and examine the Firewire section.

camsr wrote:There are plenty of PC notebooks with firewire, just look around at the different manufacturers.
Most of them don't handle audio, e.g. the Rain laptops.

Marv Dave wrote:Hi there, here's my situation. I've been making music for 5-6 years using a laptop with firewire and a Presonus Firebox soundcard.
From what I can establish via a quick Google is that Presonus are still using the DICE II controller on that interface and if that is still so I'd be stunned if you can find anything current that works with it.

The only chance really is that if you can find a unit with Express card on it and fit a TI controller but even that may end up being hit and miss depending on the buss design inside the laptop. If you can find a laptop then make sure you can test it with a expresscard & interface before buying otherwise the chances are it'll cause you all sorts of problems.

Marv Dave wrote:Thanks for the replies. In regards to option B im in the UK unfortunately.
You can get ADK Pro laptops from Scan Computers. :)
http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?Syst ... tegoryID=2

Here's one: http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1289
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I was in the same situation. I'd suggest to part with the firebox.
I got a NI komplete audio 6 fur usb and it's in every regard better than the firebox, including low latency.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Very helpful.

@plastic i was beginning to think along these lines, myself.

Would anyone else agree that USB external soundcards are good enough? For some reason i had this vague impression in the back of my mind somewhere that firewire was supposed to better for some reason?

its all about which interface and the manufacturers ability to write drivers.

RME on USB2 is actually better than RME on Firewire (albeit slight)

RME, Motu, Stienberg, have killer drivers
NI Kontrol, Lynx, M-Audio Ultra 8R, and Presonus VSL series to some degree have very good drivers

most the rest is crap for low latency. if low latency isnt a concern then it would be more about features sound quality..

Scott
ADK

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”