E-MU PCI WDM recording stutter / virtual device workaround

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I put together a new computer and started having serious issues with my good ol' E-MU PCI hardware (I have tried 0404 and 1616). Everything basicly works great as long I'm not trying to record WDM audio. When I forward stuff (anything) to WAVE L/R output in the patchmix the result is a stuttering choppy mess. Sounds (and records) pretty much like an ultra crappy tremolo effect. Also it seems to be pretty much random to be able to use this signal at all. I need to fiddle few minutes with different sample-rates to get my Windows default recording device to get any signal - and when I change anything the signal dissappears. Reverting back to old settings doesn't work. It basicly works when it wants to.

I have been googling the crap out of this issue for few days now and I have gathered that this propably has something to do with RAM memory. I have not been able to try this yet, but it seems that the only fix is to have less than 3,5gb's of memory. I have 8gb (2x4).

I have tried 2.1 and 2.3 drivers and 2.1 and 2.2 patchmix. Windows 8. Mobo is ASRock 970 Extreme3.

Any suggestions? It is such a shame that E-MU/Creative has abandoned these otherwise absolutely wonderfull products.

As I have pretty much abandoned all hope to get this working as it is, I have been poundering if there could be any workarounds. Being able to use the WAVE L/R (WDM) signal is very important to me as I do live broadcasts and other stuff that requires using programs that do not have support for ASIO-inputs.

Something like Virtual Audio Cable with ASIO-input support would be perfect. I'm ready to pay some money for working software solution. Any suggestions?

I have exactly the same problem, although it's stable, recorded ASIO sound always stutters, whatever I change. Did you find a solution in the meanwhile?

I need to add that it worked on Windows XP previously, but now I'm running Windows 7, I never got it working properly.

Correction: you're right, it's not stable, while fiddling around, I suddenly got a good recording. Now, if I could reproduce that...

I couldn't rest before solving this. Or at least reproduce the single time that I had a proper recording. And I'm happy that I did! It's a bit weird, but it works at least. This is what I did/used:

- Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
- For my E-MU 1212M: the lastest drivers (2.30.00) and PatchMix (2.2)
- ASIO application playing the sound: Cubase 7.0.4
- WDM application recording the sound: Audition 5

I set everything possible to 48 kHz and 32-bit (float). Other settings and combination mights also work, but I didn't test many of them, except that recording at 48 kHz with 16-bit works, even having the other stuff at 32-bit.

PatchMix set-up: ASIO OUT 1/2 has AUX 1 set to 0 dB so that the sound is put on AUX 1. AUX 1 "SEND" is set to 0 dB and has a "SEND" to WAVE L / R - HOST. This is probably the same set-up as you were having.

Then:
1. Start Cubase and open a project.
2. Start Audition and go to "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Audio Hardware".
3. Check if you have the settings below:
- Device Class: MME
- Default Input: Wave (E-MU E-DSP)
- Default Output: Wave (E-MU E-DSP)
- Master Clock: doesn't matter what you select, will came back to this later
- Latency: 80 (doesn't seem much to matter)
- Sample Rate: 48000
- "Use machine-specific device defaults" is checked
4. Now the special trick that makes it work: "Master Clock" has to be set to "In: Wave (E-MU E-DSP)". BUT it doesn't work yet. Switch the setting to "Out: Wave (E-MU E-DSP)" and back to "In: Wave (E-MU E-DSP)". Press "OK" to leave the "Preferences" window.
5. Create a new 48 kHz 32-bit file and press the record button.
6. Play the project in Cubase.

Works! Yeah! I rebooted my machine and did the same thing, still works :-)

I'm really curious if this works for you too. Don't know if you use the same applications as I do, but I guess it should work as long as you have control over the "Master Clock" thing.

Forgot the comment on your memory comment: I have 8 GiB and without doing weird things I have exactly the same problem as you have, so I guess it's not memory-related - which would be odd anyway.

Update in case someone stumbles to this thread from google.

It didn't work (and the program I needed didn't have those options).

BUT I accidentally found a solution that worked for me.

Everything works 100% when I use the digital s/pdif output instead of analog outputs. The WDM record stutter / disappearing signal-problems are gone. I don't know why and I don't care. I can use my EMU gear again!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”