EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mister Natural wrote:WIN10 naturally defaults to 48khz (for whatever reason)

Curious if ASIO also needs to run @ 48 . . .
Well I'm using ASIO at 44.1 right now on an older project with no problems.

Quick question ,.. I have not read all pages :-)

I have both a 1820M and a 1212M in old PCI versoins still on storage

The drivers have never been good enough for my taste at all, but earlier I used them just for the fine A/D & D/A lightpibed from the better HDSP 9652 RME-card, so not using any ASIO or WDM drivers or any sound driers at all, just pure patching, questions:

1. Is this still possible @44.1 at both windows 8 and 10 64 bit ????

2. And in case yes, exactly what drivers should be used ????

3. And where to download ????

4. Anything special to be aware of ????

(I don't see all drivers mentioned here at creative site)

My new motherboard is Asus Z97-A, and I still got a free PCI-slot, so it could be fun using the old stuff :-)
Last edited by HM on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM

double post sorry
HM

anyone running WIN10 yet ???
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

HM wrote:Quick question ,.. I have not read all pages :-)

The drivers have never been good enough for my taste at all, but earlier I used them just for the fine A/D & D/A lightpibed from the better HDSP 9652 RME-card, so not using any ASIO or WDM drivers or any sound driers at all, just pure patching, questions:

My new motherboard is Asus Z97-A, and I still got a free PCI-slot, so it could be fun using the old stuff :-)

What does lightpibed mean? Found only 2 hits on google, and this is one of them..

Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote:
HM wrote:Quick question ,.. I have not read all pages :-)

What does lightpibed mean? Found only 2 hits on google, and this is one of them..

Best Regards

Roman Empire
Light-pibed means that the the emu card is only used for its ad/da, and connected to the rme-hdsp with adat optical connectors, both in and out, with the rme being the actual asio sound-card, a good way to still use a 1212 or 1820 system, converters are good , but asio-performance, stability, and layency-performance is far far behind RME
HM

Ah I see! I have the same two cards myself, but the 9632 has a (way too cheap) mic amp connected to its digital in. I assume there´d be no advantage in using the 1212 instead for this, right?
Are 9632 D/A that much worse than 1212 ones?

Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote:Ah I see! I have the same two cards myself, but the 9632 has a (way too cheap) mic amp connected to its digital in. I assume there´d be no advantage in using the 1212 instead for this, right?

Best Regards

Roman Empire
RME9632 and E-mu 1820, (non "m"), are with avarage converters, 100-105 db to the noisefloor, while 1820m and 1212m is with better AKM converters with 115-118 db as far as I remember,

What would make sense is using RME for asio sound card, use 1212m or 1820m for converter via adat lightpibe, and then use a stand-alone quality pre-amp if its a fragile mic signal

Thats how I see it, and why I keep the Emu cards :-)
HM

Mister Natural wrote:anyone running WIN10 yet ???
Are you kidding? Everyone has been forced into it :hihi:

(yeah, I know, boo/hisss/etc........)

no, I'm not kidding - I've been holding out on 7

Do I hear you saying that the drivers on the soundcard play OK with WIN10 ?

thanks
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

HM wrote:
Roman Empire wrote:Ah I see! I have the same two cards myself, but the 9632 has a (way too cheap) mic amp connected to its digital in. I assume there´d be no advantage in using the 1212 instead for this, right?

Best Regards

Roman Empire
RME9632 and E-mu 1820, (non "m"), are with avarage converters, 100-105 db to the noisefloor, while 1820m and 1212m is with better AKM converters with 115-118 db as far as I remember,

What would make sense is using RME for asio sound card, use 1212m or 1820m for converter via adat lightpibe, and then use a stand-alone quality pre-amp if its a fragile mic signal

Thats how I see it, and why I keep the Emu cards :-)

Time for pulling out the old card and do some nerding then I guess!
Is no extra latency introduced with the digital connection between the two cards?

Best regards

Roman Empire

Double post
Last edited by Roman Empire on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

So I went to find my old 1212m PCI in the closet and got it installed to my DAW.
I was not aware that the PCIe beta driver is not ment for this card, so that´s the one I grabbed. There seemed to be no issues at first, as the card was recognized perfectly and syncing via the optical output to the HDSP 9632, and in patchmix there´s an indication of in the top left corner that the 0202m board is connected.
But then when I wanted to record something from the microphone through jack breakout card, I was unpleasantly surprised: No sound at all coming into the card, the way it looks in patchmix.
What I do see working though is playing audio. I did not listen to it, just checked if there was response on the strip in patchmix.
Is anyone aware of wether if the PCIe driver is the problem? People with a 1212m PCI working under Win10 64 bit (or win 7), are you succesful with recording, and which driver are you using?
I can start to try swapping cards and stuff, but first I´d like to know as much as possible regarding other peoples experiences.

Edit: I just tried with a beta driver from 2010 for win7 that should work with both PCI and PCIe - same problem.

Thanks!

Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman read page #5.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:Roman read page #5.
I did not see anything mentioned there about recording - only playback.

Edit: Just tried wiring my mobile phone to the other input and that worked! Not a driver issue then - must be my SM7B that is too quiet for this card. Really a shame, cause I thought that I could skip my awfully noisy Samson C-Valve mic amp.

Best Regards

Roman Empire

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”