Sad, i know snow leopard is finished. so ML.do you think a PLUGIN would ever specifically need it?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

Is snow leopard dead for future AU plugins?

Snow leopard forever!
43%
Are you mad, get the latest and greatest, ROAR
36%
Smeg
21%

Total votes: 14

RELATED
PRODUCTS

mikebeck wrote:For what it's worth...
I was dead set on staying at Snow Leopard until I *had* to upgrade. Then I decided that I wouldn't want to have to upgrade by force (yeah, I know that sounds overly dramatic) and possibly be in the middle of something important in case things went wrong.
So - this weekend I made a fresh clone of my Snow Leopard system drive, bought the $20 Mountain Lion upgrade and installed it over the top of my existing Snow Leopard system. This is something I would almost never do - I usually do a clean install - but I wanted to see what would happen, and if it didn't work, I'd only be out about an hour or two.
So far, I've only had to upgrade a few drivers (Apogee Duet, Novation Automap and a few others), and everything seems to be working fine. In fact everything seems to be working better as well as faster. I'm almost to the point of being amazed.
Without going into too much detail, I've bought most of the major DAWs and a lot of plugins. I haven't run into anything yet that isn't working, aside from the drivers I already mentioned.
I suppose I should mention that this iMac is used only for audio and internet, and I keep it running fairly clean. I ran utilities to make sure things were looking good before upgrading (Disk Warrior, permissions repair, etc.).
Of course, there's no way to guarantee that anybody else would have the same upgrade experience, but I thought it was worth writing it all out to let somebody know that a smooth upgrade was possible.
It's also pretty cool that the whole thing has only cost $20 (so far, anyway), since I have some spare hard drives for cloning. I know I'll have to buy a Disk Warrior upgrade, but that may be all the extra I have to spend.
Glad it worked, but I'm not surprised. In your place, I wopuld be really pissed if it didn't - things SHOULD work always that way, and I always did that.

Upgrade an OS is usually the most reasonable and common thing to do. People should not have to start all over again every time a new OS comes out (which, regarding Apple, is meaning every year now). Glad you just had to upgrade some drivers (and had them ready to upgrade). When I received my new iMac with Lion, I had more than an headache - but after a few weeks waiting, eventually I had updates for everything. Point is - what I got wasn't worthing all those headaches. System was working good - but so was Snow Leopard, and Leopard before it, and Panther before Leopard, etc.

An operating system is something that we users don't want to be messed frequently - because it doesn't do anything except allowing programs to run. If it's doing that OK, then there's no need to fix it - unles you are offering something REALLY new - which hasn't been the case, in the vast majority of times.

So, what is Mountain Lion doing that Lion wasn't, again?
Fernando (FMR)

kgdrum wrote:An interesting development occurred in relation to SL10.68 and UAD,UA updated the software to version 6.51 and reintroduced Snow Leopard & 32bit kernel support!
I guess they saw enough users wanted to stay with SL or didn't have 64bit kernel capable rigs so the reversed course a bit.
So it looks like UA decided there's still enough users entrenched in Snow Leopard to continue support and development with 10.6 for the time being.

wonderful.

:)

I had the same type of experience as MikeBeck updating to 10.82 from 10.68.
I just installed over SLeo and everything runs well and actually I think better than my Mac ran in 10.68.
Mountain Lion to me is to Lion as Snow Leopard was to Leopard.
Apple seems to update to a new OS and then updates to a improved tweaked version of the new OS.
Many users had issues in Leopard & Lion,the Snow and Mountain updates seemed to fix most issues.
So far I think ML is better than SL.

:D
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

kgdrum wrote:I had the same type of experience as MikeBeck updating to 10.82 from 10.68.
I just installed over SLeo and everything runs well and actually I think better than my Mac ran in 10.68.
Apple seems to update to a new OS and then updates to a improved tweaked version of the new OS.
Many users had issues in Leopard & Lion,the Snow and Mountain updates seemed to fix most issues.

Hmmm... Maybe it's time for me to bite the bullet then. I could use some extra power, and a more stable OS is always welcome. No compatibility problems from Lion to Mountain Lion?
Fernando (FMR)

Well I've stuck with 10.6.8 because it would run on my Macbook which is the last of the black ones. But the end is in sight. I'm now thinking Mac mini i7 with 16 gig of ram. Which is cheap enough that I could keep chucking them and buying new ones. I may load Windows 8 on my old Macbook just for Mobile stuff and web work... This is starting to seem pointless though as this is the first Mac in 20 years that I couldn't load the latest system. :roll:

I'm 100% happy w/ Logic 9 on SL and I have no plan of upgrading OS until I buy a new Mac and/or Logic X is released (and stable).

Although I think Apple moves a little too quickly when it comes to compatibility, I have to say I really enjoy Mountain Lion, and I'm running literally the oldest Mac Pro that can run ML.

fmr wrote:
kgdrum wrote:I had the same type of experience as MikeBeck updating to 10.82 from 10.68.

Hmmm... Maybe it's time for me to bite the bullet then. I could use some extra power, and a more stable OS is always welcome. No compatibility problems from Lion to Mountain Lion?
I'm not someone that updates to a new OS until I think it's neccasary & the OS works with most apps.
I never used Leopard,I waited for a mature stable version OS Snow Leopard,like wise I never used Lion,I waited for MountainLion 10.82 after similar reports that ML 10.82 works well for most apps & users.
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

:hihi: HA-HA! I'm still on Leopard Mac and enjoy it.
As long as it runs stable - which really does! - i won't upgrade. It would be too much headache to change all my set-ups, including Plug-Ins! Time that i better use to compose, making music. :wink:

I find it really exaggerated and aggressive how Apple is trying to push people to change their OS every year. An Apple MAC is a luxury object, very expensive. But i wouldn't like Windows at all, even if my first computer was a Win or Linux... i don't remember well. For sure i'll remember Mac for very long years!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”