Studio monitors 2nd pair

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a fully treated room and a pair of yamaha HS80s. I want to get another par of speakers to use as a second reference. I am looking for a pair that might show something better that the hs80s. I was thinking the hs50s but the frequency response looks the same.. Should I go with an 5 inch rather than a 8? thanks for you input.. remember this is to pair with my hs80s so what makes up what they lack?

Avantone Mixcubes would be a useful second set of monitors to reference on, rather than to mix on.

Personally I'm not a fan of using a second set of monitors to make mix decisions on apart from a good set of headphones to check ultimate detail.

ADAM A3X. Why? Because they have a different tonal balance than the Yammies and very revealing midrange, top end. They're tiny - uber-nearfields, like a big set of headphones without that pesky headband. :D

If you want to spend 2X more, then the Neumann KH 120 are pretty amazing small monitors.

Skip the HS50s, too similar family tonal balance to give you an accurate 2nd opinion.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

You know what I wish I could afford , the Adam AX8s

mandolarian wrote: Skip the HS50s, too similar family tonal balance to give you an accurate 2nd opinion.
I agree with this. Makes sense. As you probably know, HS80s are quite 'bright' shall we say, so why not go with something like the KRK Rokit 5s. Lots of people use them and seem to do amazing mixes on them, often to release surprisingly enough, with those being their main set of monitors.

And tonally I think the KRKs and Yammys are like night and day. Yammys a bit bright, KRKs a bit boomy. But of course, they are both fine monitors and the old cliches apply - when you know your monitors...

I would also consider the KRK VXT4s. The bass they kick out is supposed to be great. I think they look like a great pair of monitors in their own right.

My second pair of monitors? A pair of Logitech computer speakers. Quite good ones, but crap nonetheless. The poor mans NS10, as in, if they sound good on that, they'll sound good on anything. Obviously I would like better, but without a treated room it is pointless.

Anyway, I can get my bearings between those and my KRK Rokit 8s and a set of cans such as my Sony MDR-7506s. Now the high-end on them is full-on, but there is supposed to be a reason for that. But that is for another thread.

I don't know the Adams, but if you do get to actually audition some speakers, I would at least listen to the KRKs. Again, because of the tonal difference giving you a middle ground reference point. But I'm no expert in this field, just my opinion.

Well, idk is that is late but, you need more?!?! Yamaha HS80 are amazing!! dude........

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”