CPU's for a windows 7 x64 update (plus other build talk)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good advice about the strap.

1600 MHz memory should be easy to maintain at that speed, just make sure that exact memory model is listed on the Gigabyte web site as compatible. I can run 1800 MHz rock solid on my Gigabyte by selecting Extreme Memory Profile 1, but really the memory speed isn't that important to performance, compared to CPU and SSD speed differences for example.

You probably already know this, but one thing that is important is running your drives in AHCI mode instead of IDE mode. Make sure you set up your Winders with AHCI turned on for that drive in the UEFI (BIOS), because it's tough to switch an IDE OS install to AHCI once Winders is up and running. You can switch back and forth between IDE and AHCI with non-OS drives, but not with the OS drive.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

metamorphosis wrote:Yes.
If you're putting this together yourself,
Don't f**k It Up
Use a static strap connected to a grounded metal surface that is not electrically active.

Static discharge unnoticable to humans from regular skin can cause problems with ram that don't show up for 3-6 months, and even then may not show up under a memory test.
I have one of those!!!!! Have used it on every build :D

Gonga wrote:Good advice about the strap.

1600 MHz memory should be easy to maintain at that speed, just make sure that exact memory model is listed on the Gigabyte web site as compatible. I can run 1800 MHz rock solid on my Gigabyte by selecting Extreme Memory Profile 1, but really the memory speed isn't that important to performance, compared to CPU and SSD speed differences for example.

You probably already know this, but one thing that is important is running your drives in AHCI mode instead of IDE mode. Make sure you set up your Winders with AHCI turned on for that drive in the UEFI (BIOS), because it's tough to switch an IDE OS install to AHCI once Winders is up and running. You can switch back and forth between IDE and AHCI with non-OS drives, but not with the OS drive.
Oh, another thing to learn. Reading into it now.

hibidy wrote:Question about ram:

MOBO SPECS: DDR3 2933(O.C.)/1600/1333

Ram SPECS: DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I'm not doing ANY overclocking.....er, this is the right ram.......right?
I've lost track of where we are with this (CPU? Motherboard?), so I'm just going to punt some generic advice that covers all bases.

Either direction your looking (be it 4770 or 4930) the offically supported memory as spec'd by Intel cuts off at 1600Mhz. Anything over that is classed as overclocked as the board itself is doing something that the chipset isn't rated too offically.

In real world terms, we find memory over 1600Mhz more likely to throw a spanner in the works during setup and generally more of a P.I.T.A. which given the slight difference in performance and the extra cost makes it hard to justify and I'd lean in the direction of sticking with the 1600Mhz for you as well.

Advice specific to the 4930 and other chips on that platform would be to ensure your memory is 1.35v and no higher to ensure the best compability. On a 4770 based rig, 1.5v is where you should draw the line although 1.35v would be better if only from a reduction in heat generated within the controller point of view.

Kaine wrote:
hibidy wrote:Question about ram:

MOBO SPECS: DDR3 2933(O.C.)/1600/1333

Ram SPECS: DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I'm not doing ANY overclocking.....er, this is the right ram.......right?
I've lost track of where we are with this (CPU? Motherboard?), so I'm just going to punt some generic advice that covers all bases.

Either direction your looking (be it 4770 or 4930) the offically supported memory as spec'd by Intel cuts off at 1600Mhz. Anything over that is classed as overclocked as the board itself is doing something that the chipset isn't rated too offically.

In real world terms, we find memory over 1600Mhz more likely to throw a spanner in the works during setup and generally more of a P.I.T.A. which given the slight difference in performance and the extra cost makes it hard to justify and I'd lean in the direction of sticking with the 1600Mhz for you as well.

Advice specific to the 4930 and other chips on that platform would be to ensure your memory is 1.35v and no higher to ensure the best compability. On a 4770 based rig, 1.5v is where you should draw the line although 1.35v would be better if only from a reduction in heat generated within the controller point of view.
Thanks! Where the confusing comes in is that although the "1600" is the same, the (12800) is not listed by the mobos (none of them) So I just want to make sure the ram matches.

I wonder if this inexpensive ram is any good......(edit, the voltage may not be right)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231568

Ooooooooo, 4770 is on sale big time!

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abotu 1600 shipped/tax and it's all I wanted. Thanks to all (now I just hope that damn thing works when I put it together :roll: )

A month or so ago was looking inside a Korg Kronos X keyboard, which is a pretty nice device in many regards.

The innards from a CPU aspect, show remarkable resemblance to a low-end Intel Atom netbook with a small SSD drive, but of course there is more to the "package" than just the CPU, memory and drive.

The thing of note, was that merely equipped with a 30 or 60 GB small SSD drive, Korg went to the trouble of mounting a fan on the drive bracket, dedicated to blowing air over the drive.

So that got me thinking, maybe even if SSD drives don't draw much power, it mightn't be a bad idea to dedicate a fan-enclosure for any SSD's in a puter system? There are SSD drive mounting kits fer sail that do include fans.

Was just thinking, though the Kronos is a nice enough thang for what it is, if Korg was pinching pennies enough to only include parts "adequate to the task but not over-speced for the task", then they might have considered a fan on the SSD to be important, or they would most likely have pinched that penny and deleted the fan?

:?

They blocked this thing into 3 separate orders :bang:

The case
Some free thing I don't care about
The rest.

Case and thing I don't want have been shipped. :roll:

Newegg always ships my cases separately from CA. I usually end up waiting on them while the innards arrive first from a closer warehouse.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Yeah, looks that way.

Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll end up with everything. I'm in no real hurry, though this system is possibly on the verge of an HD dying (strange issues.......)

Well, the case is here :hihi:

The rest of it won't be here until Thurs.

I just gotta try and figure out what should go where and when :hihi: It's been a while since I've done one of these.

hibidy, step one: open everything and make sure it is what you ordered and need and that it is undamaged. Be sure to wear your strap when handling those expensive electronic items.

step two....go have a beer.

you are probably really tired now (I know I am) so go have a nap.

Come back when you are rested and we'll see about the next step.

:hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan

haha, shows up today. Step one will be the first step.

I think MOBO before power supply or it doesn't fit is the next step.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”