CPU's for a windows 7 x64 update (plus other build talk)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"why yes, I do like talking to myself"

:hihi:

So now newegg has the 500gb samsung 840 for 244usd till tomorrow.

|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

:lol:

I just ordered a Samsung 1TB SSD. It will be exclusively for my sample drive. I'm hoping it will seriously speed up opening projects that use Kontakt and/or Alchemy.

My boot drive is already SSD, as is my project/recording drive. I may be in the big leagues when I get this baby installed...and I'll still have my samples already backed up on the original SATA drive. I'm gonna clone it and then unplug the original. That should allow me to make the drive letter the same and avoid any confusion with paths.

Woot! :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Did you get the newegg shell shocker for that? I saw it for like 430 or something like that.

I don't think it was a shell shocker, but it was the best deal going by far. Good guess on Newegg. They pretty much get all my computer business, not that I buy that much. It was $459.00. Got a new keyboard and mouse while I was there. I wore my mouse scroll wheel out somehow. The stuff shipped today, as in the following morning. They rock like that.

I hope you enjoy it when you get it :) I'd like to have a second one but it's just too luxury for me right now.

So, I fired up the "old" computer tonight just to check and see that it still works :hihi:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, that thing is slow and noisy compared to this :lol:

I'm about 75% through to process of cloning my sample drive to the new SSD. I was watching the door like a hawk today waiting for the Fedex guy. :hihi:

I can't wait to see how it performs on sample-based instruments! I've gotten to the point where I avoid Alchemy (which I love, btw...) because those projects take forever to load. I bet I'll be auditioning Trilian presets on the fly tonight with no gaps. I'm now watching the progress indicator like the hawk I mentioned previously. :pray:

Sweet! All of my sample-based instruments load 10 times faster. Takes about 5 seconds to open Alchemy now. Preset changes in Alchemy, Omnisphere, Trilian, and Kontakt are fractions of a second. BFD3 and Superior Drummer 2 kits load in just a couple of seconds.

An expensive luxury, but oh so cool. :tu: :tu: :tu:

glad you like it!

hibidy wrote:So, I fired up the "old" computer tonight just to check and see that it still works :hihi:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, that thing is slow and noisy compared to this :lol:
Much enjoyed raeding your thread :-)

Going through the same process currently: moving from first gen I860 DAW-->I4770K/SSD DAW.

'Fired' up the old DAW yesterday. I think the boot HD made noise/loaded whatever for nearly 20 minutes or so. SSDs really have the biggest impact re performance. And USB3 for copying stuff.
One thing I want to be strict about with the new DAW is creating regular system images. If I had done this for my old DAW I am not sure I would have had to upgrade. And for sure I would have had much less probs in the last 12 months. My system was bloated/currupted to an extent it wasn't funny anymore.

Anyway, I am keen on making music again on a system that doesn't get in the way!

I hope all continues to be good with your new DAW :-)

The main complaint I have with mine is the power supply. It's one of those that kicks in when it needs too :nutter: when it needs to it's noisy :x

Other than that it's been terrif!

Oh, yes, PSUs! I initially was reluctant to shell out a price premium for what I thought is a commodity. But it's worth it to go for both, efficient & silent. And noise isn't the biggest problem a PSU can cause!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”