Advice needed - about to start my first pc build

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone could help with a few questions..

I am about to order parts for my first daw build, was thinking of this spec:

Intel Core i7-4770
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP C10 1600Mhz
Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3
500Gb Samsung Evo SSD
BeQuiet Pro 10 550W PSU
Fractal Design R4
Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Archon

Was planning to use my delta 66 with this, unless people feel that will become the weak link in this build.

Im relatively happy with the above, however I know very little about motherboards, so it would be good to know this is a reasonable choice or not ? Im not intending to overclock. Im a little daunted by the thought of fitting the mobo, maybe I need to read/watch some guides, but there is very little on the particular mobo.. As its a first build I really want to keep things as simple as poss, so any pointers at all would be most apppreciated..

PCI-e SSDs are out now twice the speed of SSD. Cost too much though. They plug in like a graphics card. Just in case you didn't know.
You may want Thunderbolt II sockets but they are overkill at the moment.
That motherboard has a built in graphics chip which isn't needed you might be able to get a cheaper board without one.

That PSU only puts out 20 amps which is incredibly low by todays standards. So it would not be able to run a mid range graphics card from four years ago but might be ok for a DAW.

First thing to do is read the manuals that come with each component.

Before you fit the motherboard to the case. Install the CPU and cooler.

I was hoping that I wouldn't need an additional gpu card for DAW build, thought that this would run a dual monitor set up without too many problems ?

So your not sure about the psu ? Could this be problematic ?

I'm not sure if it would cause a problem I would rather use a graphics card than on board GPU more driver updates and more features and use a PSU with over 40 amps so I'm covered for future upgrades. You will have to find out how many amps that motherboard and CPU needs.
If you got a Corsair PSU you would have nothing to worry about.

Looked it up i7 CPU will need around 8 amps so your good to go. If you ever fancy putting in a big graphics card though you may need to replace the PSU.
It's a bit hard to get a straight answear it used to be over 27 amps for a GPU now it seems according to many forums that 20amps is enough with some PSUs.

Kaboom75 wrote: That PSU only puts out 20 amps which is incredibly low by todays standards. So it would not be able to run a mid range graphics card from four years ago but might be ok for a DAW.
That's a top of the line PSU and more than capable of driving a midrange gfx card.

20amps is the ATX spec per rail and you can use the "overclocking" switch to combine the rails if you want. Otherwise run the dual connectors for you gfx cards off two seperate rails and everything is fine.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... 5&reid=291

You'll definitely need a decent fanless VGA. More than a few have tried building them with the built in graphics and they get clicks and pops. I don't have the technical reason why.

You don't need one of those fancy noisy gamer cards likely, just a 60 buck fanless VGA will do.

hibidy wrote:You'll definitely need a decent fanless VGA. More than a few have tried building them with the built in graphics and they get clicks and pops. I don't have the technical reason why.

You don't need one of those fancy noisy gamer cards likely, just a 60 buck fanless VGA will do.
That's changed over the last few years and the Intel HD4000 onboard and above are superb.

The current 4600HD benches around a Nvidia 640 level and handles up to three screens natively. Most importantly it has to be said it has the lowest DPC of any video driver currently.

Ati's current drivers are also superb, but Nvidia at the moment has broken theirs completely, I can't get a 7 series card with the current WHQL release to return less than 500μs in LatMon testing.

The latest guy I saw tried everything. The only thing that ended up working was an external VGA. Just going by what I've read.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”