What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DuX wrote:Ha! Caught you there... so is it about functionality or pretty icons and windows? ;) There lies the problem with the new generation of people - too dependent on looks and not thinking deeper.
You're jumping to conclusions again. I try to make Windows 7 look as much like Windows XP as possible. I'm not interested in software looking new or pretty. I do my coding in Textpad which I have been using since around 1999. I also started using my email client TheBat! around that time.

Someone needs to make a powerhouse DAW for Linux. What are the options right now? Come on Bitwig! :party:

Windows 7 is awesome, plain and simple. Time for you to upgrade.
[Insert Signature Here]

Frantz wrote:I'm not interested in software looking new or pretty. I do my coding in Textpad which I have been using since around 1999.
Notepad just works. I use it for simple things a lot. It's the complete opposite of bloatware.

bailees7irish wrote:Windows 7 is awesome, plain and simple. Time for you to upgrade.
Other than the NSA backdoors (which may be bogging performance?) I really do like Win7. Notepad looks great in Win7... I'll shut up now.

Sorry again, Frantz! The Bat e-mail client! :lol: Cool. Is it still being developed? That's nice to hear. I'm still using Eudora with PGP...

Naah, Notepad is too bloated, you should try Metapad. http://liquidninja.com/metapad/download.html :D

LOL arkmabat! about notepad looking really cool in W7.
Last edited by DuX on Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Sorry again, Frantz! The Bat e-mail client! :lol: Cool. Is it still being developed? That's nice to hear.
Yes, it's being developed but my version of The Bat! is from 2011. I rarely upgrade it because it's so stable.

Frantz wrote:I rarely upgrade it because it's so stable.
I know the feeling very well. 8) :lol: You know, the newer the software, the lesser the stability. That is just derived from a simple principle - the bigger the code, the more bugs pass through unnoticed. I kinda often find older versions of some plugins working better and more stable no matter what they write in the changelog. Like Sonalksis FreeG, for example. It drove me crazy, the newest version. It kept crashing EnergyXT and Reaper for me, but I found an older version [1.11] on one of my backups and voila! No crashes! Things are not as simple as they seem. Everybody just say "upgrade your ...... [whatever] and everything will be fine". Not so. I still use an older Nvidia graphics driver for the same reason... the newer one is krap. But it is good for gamers.. undoubtedly, not for running DAWs stably, though. The version I use is 196.46 if someone wants to know. Best XP Nvidia driver for DAWs in the Universe. I tested a million of them. I'm not joking. OK, I tested about a dozen... :D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Frantz wrote:my version of The Bat! is from 2011. I rarely upgrade it because it's so stable.
Well, my Bat is from 2007... Great prog. I stopped updating when they broke something with regional characters, it's surely fixed now, but I don't feel like I need anything else from e-mail client. :D

codec_spurt wrote:Oh. Ok, about the holy wars.

Yes, maybe my tone is aggressive at times. Combative even. But I have never layed a finger on another.
neither did i.
codec_spurt wrote:As for your use of win7. Well, I can not help but watch you gloat. What a gloater you are.

You come across as all superior. I am curious to know what your field is. Is it programming? Design? Exactly what?
i already mentioned - programming. as for "being superior" - no, i never said or meant anything like that. i just realize that my perspective isn't reflective of general population and what may be dead easy for me can be a daunting task for someone else. hence i voice my opinion, but immediately discard it because i'm not a representative sample of anything.

however, having said that, it is still reasonable to ask, what were these people thinking. is it not? WinXP was due to EOL in April 2014 since forever. so instead of preparing, all these people just wait for the last moment and then scream about bad microsoft. why? that strikes me as irrational.
codec_spurt wrote:And if windows 7 works for you, then I know that you are someone that does not mind using four mouse strokes, when only one will do. You identify yourself very easily sir, and with pride. Need I say more?
i mainly use keyboard to navigate the computer. i agree Windows 7 has a bit more mouse clicking in general (case in point - network devices configuration, and there's STILL no means of setting up different IP addresses for different networks on the same adapter), but it's a small price to pay for such a stable and great working system. my PC boots in less than 10 seconds. i'm not gloating - i'm honestly confused as to what is so wrong with Windows 7 that people find it that hard to use it. it's been a breeze for me ever since it was released. i honestly, really don't understand what's all the hatred is about. no aggressiveness meant.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Once XP has finished. Devs will longer make their audio software work on it. No one puts work into an unsupported OS. No more updates, no new versions. No trying a demo of the latest must have. Bitch, complain and ignore all you want. Better act now.

What UltraJv said. You won't have a choice in the near future unless you are happy to stay put with the tools you have and don't connect the machine to the 'net.

At the very least upgrade to Windows 7 ASAP - it's a great version of Windows. Win 8 is pretty bad, let's hope Win 9 is better.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Windows XP? eeehh, let it die. I won't miss it!

I prefer Windows 8 actually more than windows 7. It is faster and nicer than Windows 7 although looks very similar! I like it more than OS X, especially the fonts.

I gave my Win7 laptop to my mother, and took the Windows XP one from her and put it in the store! She liked it more after I showed her how to use it and she said it is nicer and faster (she is 74 years old).

New hardware and new software are better with a new OS, so why we should keep with old systems?!

Move on people, life is too short (and No, we won't live again! :hihi:)

What does the OS you use on your audio computer have to do with moving on and life being too short? :?

Oh, you mean people worry too much about updates, reinstalling all the stuff you use every 6 months while I'm making music and don't give a krap about all that? This computer is now 3 years old and I only installed the OS once. It's going to stay that way until it breaks. That's the right time for a new computer and the new OS that will be installed only once again. :tu: Same with my laptop for location recording. :tu:

So we can agree that people are losing precious time on meaningless things like upgrading everything every 6 months, right? :hyper: Yeah, life is too short to spend it on ridiculous things like that. :hihi:

what's great about windows 7/8 is they don't NEED to be stripped down, with the nagging exception of using start8 or something with windows8. These OS'es work great out of the box FOR AUDIO and I have updated each of my systems over the years (shortest amount of time on vista, I waited on that one a bit).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”