What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just in case you get a WIndows 8 PC, try this:

http://www.classicshell.net/

:)

DuX wrote:What does the OS you use on your audio computer have to do with moving on and life being too short? :?
No relation! Keep using your 11 years old OS and keep making music. There will be no update anyway for your abandoned OS, so you won't be wasting your time updating it.
So we can agree that people are losing precious time on meaningless things like upgrading everything every 6 months, right? :hyper: Yeah, life is too short to spend it on ridiculous things like that. :hihi:
That is just silly! who is upgrading every 6 months? You think making old OS to work with new software/hardware is not going to take your time then?! You want the developers to stay supporting 11 years old OS besides two other versions (Windows) at least and you said what's this have to do with time?!

It is more than four years since I had my Windows 7 laptop! how long do you think the lifespan of a computer/hardware? Maximum is three years. Yes it is 3 years if not less. Yes you can use Windows 3.1 if you want, and you can use a monochrome 14" monitor, but don't call it a smart decision!

Why do you even need winoze XP?
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

yeah, upgrade-hate is annoying. Do what you want, just don't spread FUD

A sad day today, the main computer I have been using with Win XP, I upgrade to Win 7 :(

I clung onto XP all the way through Vista but when I ran the Windows 7 RC it was game over. I dual-booted it, expecting to spend most of my time in XP but it didn't turn out that way.

Compatibility and speed was great, but the biggest advantage coming from XP was proper 64-bit support. XP had a 64-bit edition but driver support was weak. With Windows 7 I could finally use 4+ GB of RAM and get the most out of my 64-bit CPU.

I've been using 7 ever since and plan to stick with it as long as I can. Not feeling where they went with 8, even with Classic Shell.

But if XP still works for you then stay put. It's just the thing that runs your programs that you use to make music.

Build a new computer, and then choose.

Frankly, upgrading to Windows 7 on the studio build was painless as it was done at instal straight away and now I have 'Classic shell', on my Win 8 lappy, and don't notice the difference, I really don't see the problem.

I will be waiting a few years before upgrading the studio build, to Win 8 if at all. i.e if Win 9 come out in the next 2 years or so, I will be waiting until the next Studio build.

I find building a machine and strarting from scratch is the best idea, as upgrading is messy even if it's clean, if you catch my drift.

New specs, new OS is the way I go, It's a good excuse to tell the wife I need to do it also. Shhhh. :hihi:

Well, I've had Win7 for 2 years now but only got into using everyday in the last couple of months, to the point where I am now using it more than XP.

However XP is still very much my favoured platform for various reasons. Over the course of the next week I will do a clean reinstall, get the NET framework and other updates and then work offline with it, just like I did for the first 6 or 7 years. This will be my audio workstation unless I find one with better specs.

There is an abundance of XP desktops for sale locally (all internet ready !) and for only £30 or so. Most of the sellers are silver surfers and have no idea what they have under the bonnet so a quick visit to check out the specs and offer a fair price.
I'll be buying at least 2; one for office things/work related stuff and one for photography and imaging stuff.

I reckon I can then see things through until WIn7 PCs start turning up for peanuts.

Currently I have two desktops into the one monitor. So I'll need another monitor. But I reckon £200 all told will get me through to the next thread;
"What to do after Windows7 dies" I'll pass on the Vista thread, if you don't mind.

It's a similar philosophy I adhere to, Bob. :D

And you never get to be a "beta tester", ever. Most of the problems with the software and plugins have already been solved by then. However, the time between W7 and W8 release was very short and W7 could still use a few service packs. XP after SP3 still contains hundreds of well known bugs. W7? Thousands. W8? even a bit more than that. People talk gibberish about security and performance and really XP is the most secure MS OS out there and the one that performs the best if you only use 3rd party software for protection, not Microsoft's. I'm talking especially about the firewall, networking in general and the anti-malware and anti-virus software.

People these days would believe if the advertisement said their shit was blue, I guess. :lol: I'm not talking through my backside, nor I'm into "who's reproduction organ is longer", I just state the facts. Microsoft doesn't care about how their OSes will perform with audio and video. All they care about is to sell as many pretty icons as they can without actually changing too much and adding lots of unnecessary stuff to the OS because for some reason people think bigger is better?! Believe me, you want your OS to be as small [especially MS's!] and as efficiently programmed as possible. My XP still loads within 15 seconds from the hard disk without using any precious pre-caching space on the hard disk. It's easy to load an image of the OS fast and that's what W7 does. If there was no precaching it would take a minute or more to load... like OS-X. :)

Microsoft likes to play with people's minds and give them an *impression* of fast while that actually isn't true. All they do is patch upon patch upon patch of their OSes. They adore to cache things so they can be loaded faster, but that's not any real enhancement of the OS. Especially for audio and video that we are concerned with here. They never change anything really substantial. So why would someone just go with what MS tells you to and update? Beats me... It's either "update for the sake of update", or "I've got new Windows, how about you? Maan, you gotta update..." but nothing of substance. I believe the benchmarks and benchmarks say that Windows 7 or 8 is not better or faster than XP. So why bother?

I've been listening to this same MS excrement since DOS times... It's always the same whenever a new OS is coming out! Always same sentences! "Our last OS was shit but the new one is so much better!" Rubbish! They are just good at advertising and gullible people are even better at swallowing their "you know", they're not good at programming great OSes. It's insane. It's all very detailed marketing BS to get - what? More money. It's never enough dosh. Never!

Speaking of money, of course those people who fell for the marketing ploy will never admit to it. They don't spend their hard earned money for nothing, eh? They will never admit to it. They would find whatever arguments there are to justify their purchase of the newer OS. It's a human fault MS and similar companies like AVID and Adobe rely upon and survive due to it. "I don't waste my hard earned money, no sir!". Oh yes, you do, "wholeheartedly" and you even advertise for them! Great consumerist slave. :D

And I really can't get that "I have this, why don't you have it, too?" Hey, I'm me. You are you. It's just that the world would be so much better if there was more of me than of you. People who know about "stuff" in depth. Cheers! :party: :hihi:
Last edited by DuX on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I think I'll die too...

DuX wrote:It's a similar philosophy I adhere to, Bob. :D

And you never get to be a "beta tester", ever. Most of the problems with the software and plugins have already been solved by then. However, the time between W7 and W8 release was very short and W7 could still use a few service packs. XP after SP3 still contains hundreds of well known bugs. W7? Thousands. W8? even a bit more than that. People talk gibberish about security and performance and really XP is the most secure MS OS out there and the one that performs the best if you only use 3rd party software for protection, not Microsoft's. I'm talking especially about the firewall, networking in general and the anti-malware and anti-virus software.

People these days would believe if the advertisement said their shit was blue, I guess. :lol: I'm not talking through my backside, nor I'm into "who's reproduction organ is longer", I just state the facts. Microsoft doesn't care about how their OSes will perform with audio and video. All they care about is to sell as many pretty icons as they can without actually changing too much and adding lots of unnecessary stuff to the OS because for some reason people think bigger is better?! Believe me, you want your OS to be as small [especially MS's!] and as efficiently programmed as possible. My XP still loads within 15 seconds from the hard disk without using any precious pre-caching space on the hard disk. It's easy to load an image of the OS fast and that's what W7 does. If there was no precaching it would take a minute or more to load... like OS-X. :)

Microsoft likes to play with people's minds and give them an *impression* of fast while that actually isn't true. All they do is patch upon patch upon patch of their OSes. They adore to cache things so they can be loaded faster, but that's not any real enhancement of the OS. Especially for audio and video that we are concerned with here. They never change anything really substantial. So why would someone just go with what MS tells you to and update? Beats me... It's either "update for the sake of update", or "I've got new Windows, how about you? Maan, you gotta update..." but nothing of substance. I believe the benchmarks and benchmarks say that Windows 7 or 8 is not better or faster than XP. So why bother?

I've been listening to this same MS excrement since DOS times... It's always the same whenever a new OS is coming out! Always same sentences! "Our last OS was shit but the new one is so much better!" Rubbish! They are just good at advertising and gullible people are even better at swallowing their "you know", they're not good at programming great OSes. It's insane. It's all very detailed marketing BS to get - what? More money. It's never enough dosh. Never!

Speaking of money, of course those people who fell for the marketing ploy will never admit to it. They don't spend their hard earned money for nothing, eh? They will never admit to it. They would find whatever arguments there are to justify their purchase of the newer OS. It's a human fault MS and similar companies like AVID and Adobe rely upon and survive due to it. "I don't waste my hard earned money, no sir!". Oh yes, you do, "wholeheartedly" and you even advertise for them! Great consumerist slave. :D

And I really can't get that "I have this, why don't you have it, too?" Hey, I'm me. You are you. It's just that the world would be so much better if there was more of me than of you. People who know about "stuff" in depth. Cheers! :party: :hihi:
Apple updates frequently break applications from running. Apple killed off Cocoa casing havoc for devs. Linux has updates too. Why are you listening to MS if you have Mac? Haters gonna hate
Last edited by UltraJv on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

damn double post

It's fine if you never want to update. What is truly annoying are the people that:

1. insist you MUST update
2. insist you MUSTN'T update

and anyone who writes paragraphs about either.

show some informed f**king science if you want, ranting away gets you nowhere. And releasing unnecessarily stripped down versions of XP doesn't help your cause either. Yes, if I had a 1 Ghz Celeron processor from 2003 it might help, sure.

Go 7.

Leaving XP was a painful experience because I knew it very well and thinking of learning a new OS was scary, but I finally did it couple of months ago. All's good now...

Still happy enough on XP myself ... it came with my 8 year old laptop. I avoided Vista at the time, by buying an older machine. Seems like it was a good choice. Everyone I know who had Vista had nothing but problems with it (so they told me). I was too busy making music to care at the time ...

Will upgrade when I need a new computer and will use the XP laptop for DJing and browsing. (its never been online yet).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”