Opera Browser

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone use the Opera Browser ? I used it long ago when it was payware and I've just installed version 20.0 but I can't seem to change the look of it even using Themes. It's still has that horrid blue WinXp default look.Anyone know if there is a trick to get Opera fully customized ? I use FireFox but want an occasional alternative........thanks. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Only Opera 12.x is the "real" Opera and can be fully customized and includes the mail client. All later versions are basically Chrome with some small changes. They no longer develop the original although I think it can be still downloaded.
I use Opera for ages and still run the "old" one (it's not that old actually) as my main browser since that is what Opera was all about. That new thing is nice for what it is, but without real bookmarks, no mail and little customization, its pretty much something else.
Another alternative dead :-(
This one actually hurts.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Wow that's sad. I don't need the mail client etc......Guess I'll uninstall Opera and just use Chrome. Thanks for the help ! :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Huh, version 20? Did I miss something?

I'm using Opera version 12, and I'm pretty happy with it! It's one of the fastest browsers without all this customization & plugin stuff like the bloated Firefox...

Tricky-Loops wrote:Huh, version 20? Did I miss something?
Yes ;-)

Nothing good though... :-(

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

I had a play around with opera the other day but I didn't click with at all. Couldn't even import my bookmarks from firefox as I recall. It's sad because, although I'm loathe to admit it, the best option these days is chrome - firefox has become very sluggish in general and regularly 'hangs' while trying to load pages. Chrome has been generally a lot faster.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

And me fool uses Opera because I didn't like Google Chrome. Just to hear now that it's the same... :cry: :x

I'll stay with version 12.x until it really breaks apart. It's workflow fits me just perfectly.

I have the new one installed too for pages that don't work well in Opera 12 - it's very slick and fast but there hardly is any point to it as just another Chrome Clone.

I would have much preferred if they would have gone payware again. This move makes them pretty much obsolete as a Web Browser company IMO.

But it could have been worse: For a while there was a rumour that Facebook would buy them... :dog: :scared: :roll:

The next version of Firefox is supposed to have a new slick GUI, not sure if that helps with the other problems though...

Time will tell I guess.

Cheers,

Tom

Both Chrome and FF have lousy, info-hiding interfaces nowadays - though at least with chrome, you can revert to a useful interface if you want.
I don't find FF particularly bloated, but I do use an optimised version:
http://www1.plala.or.jp/tete009/en-US/software.html

I used to use Opera exclusively due to the way certain key-shortcuts work and the way I could set up my favourite websites on the front page - something no other browser got right yet.

However, on my Win8 laptop the Win8 gestures don't work, and in general, some website just do not work properly, where they do in Firefox, Chrome or IE. It's been very frustrating. So, I had to abandon it reluctantly.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Yeah, one always had to have at least one other browser installed since many web developers didn't test their stuff in Opera. It's market share was never large enough to make it a big player.
I do webdesign myself and have all major browsers installed anyway for testing, so this never bothered me much.
The overall concept of Opera 12.x continues to be frigging awesome IMO ;-)
You can really make it yours.

Too bad the original founder is no longer with the company.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:Yeah, one always had to have at least one other browser installed since many web developers didn't test their stuff in Opera. It's market share was never large enough to make it a big player.
That's why I liked it, too. I thought: "Finally a new, fast web browser without feature overloading by a small developer team from Norway!"

But to hear now that mega-player Google is behind them, makes me quite sad... :cry:

No, Google is not behind them AFAIK.
The new owners simply decided that they no longer want to spend money on developing their own Browser Core. So they split it into Browser and Mail Client and plugged a Webkit core into the Browser part. So now it's working just like any other Webkit based browser (Chrome, Iron, etc.).

Cheers,

Tom

downgrade it to opera 12

Didn't they also stop updating the mobile version of it too? I think it's one of those apps that's still downloadable but not updated anymore.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”