Sound card advice

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

M-Audio Delta 2496 under Win7 32bit.

Since 2005 I have been running:

Guitars and mic into Behringer mixer then into M-Audio 2496 card under Win XP. Never a problem. Perfect set up for my needs.

Now, as this rig is on it's last legs I am planning a replacement which looks like being I5 on Win7 32. I don't need discussion on the rig as I have reasons for going this route.

I am loath to go for an external card which I know nothing about and would be another potential USB bottleneck and would dearly love just to get another Delta 2496 but have heard so many horror stories about Win7 drivers.

Can any of you shed some light on this?
Anyone running this card on that system with success?

:wink:
James
---------------------------------------------
New Updated music site at - http://www.fraserology.com/music/

Interestingly I can't recall seeing any new PCI sound cards for years...

Personally I'd try the Delta first and then investigate alternatives if need be.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I don't know what horror stories you have seen offthewall; I've read quite the contrary about Win7 drivers.

That aside, M-Audio has a W7 driver for this card published 2009.

If you can't get a driver to work you can always go the route of deleting the driver for the device and go with "Class Compliant".

I'm confident your tried and true Delta card will work fine on your new rig.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thanks.
That's what I like to hear.

The biggest horror stories came from the problems caused by non-optimal PCI to PCIe bridging in the first generation of Intel Core-I5/7 motherboards. Today if you are buying a new motherboard with PCI slots make sure that it has enough PCIe/PCI lanes. This is usually accomplished by adding an additional PCIe controller. Asrock Extreme 4 series and up has done this and these boards have been excellent in running PCI audio stuff. My own rig runs on Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 Z68 board with M-Audio Deltas. It has been working smoothly so far.

Unfortunately M-Audio seems not that much interested in Delta cards anymore so do not expect fast updates to drivers or anything like that. It's pretty sad actually.
No signature here!

i updated my system last year to win 7 64 (2 yr old i5 3570 proc). I changed my Delta 1010LT card out to a Focusrite Sapphire 24 (firewire) several years ago. No issues with the Focusrite products.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

Just an update for anyone interested.
Got my new Win7 rig set up now. Had the M-audio Delta installed along with win7 drivers and all is well. No problems.
Thanks for any input.

:wink:
James.

Sounds like you got it sorted easily enough James.

Champagne and caviar tonight? :D

Congrats! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”