Using Pc Software on MAC laptop as DAW - does it work?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dsan@mail.com wrote:Lots of places to buy a laptop....newegg, amazon, dell, etc., etc.

Before buying one though I recommend viewing the requirements from the DAW maker and considering a few other factors.

For example, Avid has very specific recommendations:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... popup=true

So it will all come down to what you want to do; which DAW you will run, how much RAM you want in it, which CPU, how much you want to spend, etc., etc.

Now, if you have thought it all through and know WHAT you want, finding a place to buy it is a fairly simple process. Google is filled with computrer retailers.

Personally, I think I might consider a custom PC like an ADK, but there are a lot of folks here at KVR that are happily and successfully running Dells. I see the Dell brand mentioned here more than any other.

Don't let the anxiety of buying a Mac and running Windows on it dissuade you. It does work. Lots of people been doing it for years.

I see Macs today though as an overpriced Windows PC. At one time I feel they were worth what they charged for them but now they are just another PC. They have the same innards today. IMHO. YMMV.

The only advantage to owning a Mac, again IMHO, is Logic. It only runs on a Mac. Too bad you can't bootcamp OSX on a PC :hihi:

Good luck in your seach! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Awesome, thats great thanks very much. The thing about ADK (and mac for that matter) is all those components have been tried and tested to work together in an optimized way, I basically need top of the line gear, but I do not have the know how on how to assemble all those components so they all work together as a DAW. I know it comes down to research, but a warranty and tech support for a complete system (as opposed to assembles parts from different manufacturers) is another consideration. Unless Dell users are just using a specific model without changing components? New to me so I haven't looked into this yet.

I smaller aside is of course the whole look and feel of using a mac in live performance, using MAX msp with live performers for example, that streamlined professional stamp that goes along with it, or maybe that is just a bias I need to break out of.

Just looking at this, didn't see that before: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... popup=true

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”