audio interface with loads of analog INs

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

have been looking for this for a while.
redid a search but it does not seem to exist. though it is obvious it should exist in my opinion.

asking for a audio interface that replaces my hardware mixing console with a computer based mixer.
levels, eqs, effects - all done via a small laptop and a midi controller.

thing is I have more than 16 analog ins (usual jack connectors).
32 would be optimal. I know USB, Fireware has its limits..
my RME multiface supports 16 ins via breakout box.

I would not need
- digital interfaces (ADAT, SPDIF, TDIF , WordClock), I dont want breakout boxes either
- loads of analog outs, 4 outs would be ok.

good latency is crucial of course.

maybe I could cascade 2 devices but could I use them in parallel too software-wise with good latency?

edit: not to forget budget: up to 1500$

thanks a lot for ideas, rambling, praise ;-)

I don't know of any off hand but you can cascade two MR816's giving you 16 inputs and then connect an ADA8000 to each via ADAT giving you 32 in total. The ADA8000 gives you 8 analogue inputs of course.

If you meant you don't want a breakout box as being the ADA, then I don't know of any other solution other than something like a Midas Venice F32 desk (also acts as an interface over FW)

One option...
http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/product ... -converter

You could also buy a Presonus Studiolive mixer and use it as your interface. Tons of DSP built in as well.

thanks for the inputs guys.
MR816: thanks for that. I do use cubase so this is interesting. I prefer to have no breakout boxes though.

antelope: over budget.
Presonus Studiolive mixer: I have a mixer I want to replace.
ADA8000: dont trust Behringer when it comes to audio.

motus 24 i/o is not too bad. but requires a PCI card. no option for me.

and there is ICE-16 by allen&heath. 2 units can be daisy chained. >2000$ for 32 analog ins, interesting.

kinda mind boggling it seems nobody has done this...
replace hardware mixer with computer mixer and have loads of analog INs.
save costs and space, and omit the analog outs.
every interface has the same amount of analog Ins and analog Outs. i dont know why.

A mixer is used to combine many inputs into a few outputs. Multiple inputs on PC/Mac is usually done with multiple cards, otherwise the cost is too much in one hit. SADIE do what you want but not at your budget. You have a niche requirement. Most KVR people don't need that many inputs. Your looking for a budget Rolls Royce.

amiga909 wrote:every interface has the same amount of analog Ins and analog Outs. i dont know why.
Because the AD/DA chips have a row of input pins on one side and a row of output pins on the other.

The integrated circuit manufacturers dont make them any other way....

amiga909 wrote:and there is ICE-16 by allen&heath. 2 units can be daisy chained. >2000$ for 32 analog ins, interesting.
That's pretty cool. The unbalanced outputs are kind of vexing, not because that's necessarily a bad thing but it makes me think they've cut corners. The Echo AudioFire 12 is a good, simple option but only 2 (24-channels) can be daisy-chained.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”