Should I go on with Win 8/8.1 or go back to Win 7

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Windows 8/8.1 hate comes mostly from a fear of the direction that Microsoft might be taking with Windows.

For example, I was reading an article about Windows 9 that seemed to suggest that Microsoft will attempt to run all devices (Mobile, Tablet, Laptop, Desktop, Server) on the same core kernel, with only changes in the front end amongst different devices.
There's a possibility that this might
reduce system-specific optimizations that would otherwise increase performance,
and introduce other hassles which might arise in the shared platform.

In the meantime, however, Windows 8 is great.

I used Start8 from Stardock to get used to the difference in Start Menu
until I realized that I was actually fairly comfortable with Windows 8 (and, by extension, the new Start Menu).

My fear with Windows 8 before upgrading was my perception that Microsoft would be deprecating traditional Windows apps (and as musicians with DAWs and low-latency drivers, we can't have that).
I found that performance INCREASED in upgrading to Windows 8,
and that the performance benchmarks that seem to support Windows 7
only do so because they're less accurate in Windows 7.

Upgrading from 8 to 8.1 is a pain in the a$$, though. DON'T set up any programs or drivers until AFTER you've updated. Some important settings are likely to be lost.
There are also DAW optimizations that are SPECIFIC to Windows 8/8.1, so you want to make sure you're looking those up, just as you would with any other particular version of the Windows OS. For example, disabling dynamic ticks makes a big difference in DPC stability for low-latency audio.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I just used Windows 8 to get used to it, and after a while don't miss Windows 7 (or earlier). Can't see what all the fuss is about really. Change is going to happen. Deal with it.

I wound up with Win 8.1 on my new system because that's what it came with. At first I was looking at Win7 systems as some were still available, but now that I've gotten used to it I don't have any issues. It does seem to me to be more streamlined and faster. Startup and shutdown is super fast in comparison. I would venture to say that in the time it takes my Win7 machine to start up, the Win 8.1 machine can start up, shut down and then start again. I also picked up Start8 because I was missing the familiar Start button. However, now that I have it, I really don't use it all that much. I'm running FLStudio and SonarX3 and it does seem to be more efficient when I use Win 8.

I agree that change is going to happen and that we should deal with it, though change is not always good. :)
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I started using Windows 8 only because the hard-drive that came with my Acer PC died and took my Windows 7 installers with it. I asked Acer for replacement discs and they wanted me to pay more than I did for Windows 8 in a special offer, so I said to hell with them and installed Windows 8. The first thing I did was set it up to work as close to 7 as possible, I don't use the new start menu at all, I never even see it and it will never be a viable way to work for me, that 'Tiles UI' is a f**king mess and far from efficient. I've said it before I think Microsoft forgets that Windows is not the main event, people actually use it for stuff, we don't sit around just using Windows for the sake of it. People don't go to the circus to look at the tent.

Oh yeah and my Komplete Audio 6 fails to initiate quite regularly, I have to either pull out and put back in the the USB cable at the back or restart my system. Never had any problems with Windows 7. It doesn't seem more stable to me quite the opposite, flaky in fact. Its entirely possible that Microsoft may turn Windows into a completely dumbed down turd in the name of profit margins. Looking through folders and tweaking registry files and shit is for geeks. Soon you'll be able to just clap twice to write a novel.
Last edited by lotus2035 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double post

lotus2035 wrote:I started using Windows 8 only because the hard-drive that came with my Acer PC died and took my Windows 7 installers with it. I asked Acer for replacement discs and they wanted me to pay more than I did for Windows 8 in a special offer, so I said to hell with them and installed Windows 8. The first thing I did was set it up to work as close to 7 as possible, I don't use the new start menu at all, I never even see it and it will never be a viable way to work for me, that 'Tiles UI' is a f**king mess and far from efficient. I've said it before I think Microsoft forgets that Windows is not the main event, people actually use it for stuff, we don't sit around just using Windows for the sake of it. People don't go to the circus to look at the tent.

Oh yeah and my Komplete Audio 6 fails to initiate quite regularly, I have to either pull out and put back in the the USB cable at the back or restart my system. Never had any problems with Windows 7. It doesn't seem more stable to me quite the opposite, flaky in fact. Its entirely possible that Microsoft may turn Windows into a completely dumbed down turd in the name of profit margins. Looking through folders and tweaking registry files and shit is for geeks. Soon you'll be able to just clap twice to write a novel.
I like windows 8 but not v8.1.
With my Focusrite scarlett i get garbled sound and slow downs of everything when it happens which is often and i have to reconnect the usb to get everything back to normal state.

My propellerhead Balance soundcard which is my favorite loose connection and i have to do the same there to get things back to normal.

Both works excellent on win 8 but 8.1 is a nightmare here.

So now i am back on windows 7 in hope that v8.1 will be stable at some point.
Windows 8.1 for me is like the windows 98 SE version (Crap).

I recommend using Windows 7 or wait for Windows 9. Windows 8 is just confusing and isn't elaborate. There is no start menu, so for example you have to use the search for finding the calculator.

Melodyshine wrote:I recommend using Windows 7 or wait for Windows 9.
I doubt that Windows 9 is going to be nearer to Windows 7 than Windows 8.

Could be another year before anyone sees it though:

http://www.businessinsider.com/windows- ... res-2014-7

Melodyshine wrote:I recommend using Windows 7 or wait for Windows 9. Windows 8 is just confusing and isn't elaborate. There is no start menu, so for example you have to use the search for finding the calculator.
You don't. There's a button on Metro (which I just call the Start Menu) to show all applications on the computer. This is exactly what would have been in the old Start Menu when set to arrange by category. Either click it there, or pin it to the main Metro interface (or the taskbar) if you use it often enough to warrant it.

D-Fusion wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:I started using Windows 8 only because the hard-drive that came with my Acer PC died and took my Windows 7 installers with it. I asked Acer for replacement discs and they wanted me to pay more than I did for Windows 8 in a special offer, so I said to hell with them and installed Windows 8. The first thing I did was set it up to work as close to 7 as possible, I don't use the new start menu at all, I never even see it and it will never be a viable way to work for me, that 'Tiles UI' is a f**king mess and far from efficient. I've said it before I think Microsoft forgets that Windows is not the main event, people actually use it for stuff, we don't sit around just using Windows for the sake of it. People don't go to the circus to look at the tent.

I like windows 8 but not v8.1.
With my Focusrite scarlett i get garbled sound and slow downs of everything when it happens which is often and i have to reconnect the usb to get everything back to normal state.

My propellerhead Balance soundcard which is my favorite loose connection and i have to do the same there to get things back to normal.

Both works excellent on win 8 but 8.1 is a nightmare here.

So now i am back on windows 7 in hope that v8.1 will be stable at some point.
Windows 8.1 for me is like the windows 98 SE version (Crap).
The update from 8 to 8.1 uninstalls some drivers, unfortunately -- that's what I was mentioning earlier about the upgrade being a PitA. Even if your drivers still appear to be set up properly, there's a possibility that they're set up incorrectly.
My 8.1 upgrade kept my soundcard drivers installed, but reverted their settings.

In addition to this, 8.1 apparently made some changes in how audio is handled, so it's likely up to Focusrite to provide 8.1-specific drivers.
Never upgrade to a new version of an OS at least until you're entirely certain that all of your hardware supports the new version.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”