Help with studio headphones

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Final decision - Audio Technica ATH-M50 X, so many great reviews and words for this headphone.

Yes, I guess you won't regret it :) Let us know what you think once you got them.
U-he also use them at their trade show stands according to photos I have seen on KVR.

You really DO NEED to demo whatever you are looking at...headphones are very individual and subversive to the users own audio needs.

Fluffy - Will do
MFXxx- I know, but I don't have option to try that model in my country and also I order them from thomann, so I can return them if I don't like something about it. (30-Day Money-Back Guarantee)

john_doe wrote:Fluffy - Will do
MFXxx- I know, but I don't have option to try that model in my country and also I order them from thomann, so I can return them if don't like something about it. (30-Day Money-Back Guarantee)
Yep do understand geographics can be a pain when it comes down to audio gear.

Hope you work it out for you :)

Hate to mention it late with a "final" decision but the krk 8400's should have gotten a look. Less hyped bass, more comfy, and imho more natural. I've had the 770's (good, but I sold mine off) and the athm 50's (again, sold) and now have had the 8400's for quite some time. I never feel like I have headphones on with them. Natural. They never get any love on any forum that I've mentioned :lol:

But almost everyone who have 8400 tells that it doesn't have enough bass, and they do that paper towel trick to boost bass.

Also many grammy award winning producers recommend ATH-M50X
They have a "golden ears" :D

The Chilipeppers FOH guy has a 5 part comparison test,
using rack gear, and oscilloscope to test a boatload of headphones,
in a quest to find the best replacement for his Sony MDR-CD3000.
While vintage 2010, the testing is interesting on a slow day,
the three winners are determined on part 5. Probably with
subsequent models worth checking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0

I thought the whole idea was not NOT have hyped bass :shrug:

john_doe wrote:But almost everyone who have 8400 tells that it doesn't have enough bass, and they do that paper towel trick to boost bass.
well, nobody asked me :cry: my 8400's have "ENOUGH" bass. what they don't have is over-hyped bass. I am not gonna recommend them as movie or gaming headphones (though i think they are great for that purpose) i would't recommend them for someone who only wanted to enjoy listening to music(though i think they are great for that purpose, also). i do, however, recommend them for studio use :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
john_doe wrote:But almost everyone who have 8400 tells that it doesn't have enough bass, and they do that paper towel trick to boost bass.
well, nobody asked me :cry: my 8400's have "ENOUGH" bass. what they don't have is over-hyped bass. I am not gonna recommend them as movie or gaming headphones (though i think they are great for that purpose) i would't recommend them for someone who only wanted to enjoy listening to music(though i think they are great for that purpose, also). i do, however, recommend them for studio use :shrug:
thankyou! That's supposed to be the criteria. Not that it's bad to go with the athm50's, clearly they are a proven can, but to hear the bass in a non-overhyped way I'd think would be a benefit :shrug:

hibidy wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
thankyou! That's supposed to be the criteria. Not that it's bad to go with the athm50's, clearly they are a proven can, but to hear the bass in a non-overhyped way I'd think would be a benefit :shrug:
indeed

the problem is that most people who are interested in cans, and therefore are reviewing them, are end users and not normally involved in the creative process. this is, of course, no criticism

i have been a member of head-fi for a few years now, and have a solid reputation for buying and selling on their marketplace (it's where i scored my 8400's). there are some members that chose, use, and review cans based on studio applications, but the vast majority are listeners, each with their own preferred signature (though many have multiple cans for multiple scenarios). i have to admit to lusting after a different freq curve for listening pleasure, as the 8400's are pretty flat. i always stop, as i don't want there to be a conflict - if all my normal, daily listening is hyped in some way, then my mixing experiences will always seem lacking

I don't think the bass is boosted at all on the M50's. No idea where that notion has come from. Actually, people used to say it was too weak, which I assume is why AT obviously changed the frequency response curve a bit as this diagram shows:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Aud ... ompare.jpg

They also flattened the curve on higher frequencies, where there used to be a peak some people found a bit unpleasant.

The video someone posted is interesting, the part where he holds some mass to the cup. I suppose such things do play a role. After all, the skull is also a huge body that will influence the sound, especially the lower frequencies I suppose because of the shape and size of the head.

Some also say that even using velour ear pads (also available for the M50's by the way) instead of the standard black fake leather ones reduces the bass.

What I like about AKG's is that head band construction, there is no need to replace anything, no pads etc. that make your head feel warm.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: the problem is that most people who are interested in cans, and therefore are reviewing them, are end users and not normally involved in the creative process. this is, of course, no criticism

i have been a member of head-fi for a few years now, and have a solid reputation for buying and selling on their marketplace (it's where i scored my 8400's). there are some members that chose, use, and review cans based on studio applications, but the vast majority are listeners, each with their own preferred signature (though many have multiple cans for multiple scenarios). i have to admit to lusting after a different freq curve for listening pleasure, as the 8400's are pretty flat. i always stop, as i don't want there to be a conflict - if all my normal, daily listening is hyped in some way, then my mixing experiences will always seem lacking
Not easy to convince people
of that. It makes sense to me, that flat response headphones or monitors,
will reveal the audio as the composer best intends, whether before or after recording.
The eq controls as used by audiophiles, are less widely used by the iPod generation,
which enjoys some level of acceptable quality out of the box. Someone can always
boost the various bandwidths, if desired, but using the headphones to do that,
seems logical more for people who mainly listen on portable devices.

In your head-fi forum experience, have you noted anyone who bothered with
a hearing test, as part of their market research prior to purchase?

(The headphone in the video test that responded greatly to contacting mass,
was extremely light in weight. Similarly, firing a heavy rifle will produce
less 'kick', than a lightweight model of the same caliber, due to the physics
of moving weight.
Now this makes me wonder the degree that tight fitting earbuds utilize
the skull, as an enhanced speaker enclosure...
hmmmn...would a numbskull hear better? :? ) Or a fathead?
If so, I'm in luck :hihi:
Cheers

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”