Flash video streaming doesn't work on some sites - Firefox

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, now I'm getting obsessive about this thing.
Some flash streaming movies don't work on some sites, in Mozilla Firefox.

Win7, x64. Latest Firefox (31.0), latest adobe flash plugin (14..something, upgraded from 13...something).

You tube, Vimeo - work ok
All Facebook videos and videos on ted.com for instance don't. They show a blank black window.

I installed Safari, and everything works ok there. I haven't tested it on IE, and won't :D
If I run firefox under sandboxie everything works ok (this is actually the thing that gets on my nerves :))

Uninstalled, reinstalled latest version of flash player.
Deleted all cookies, reseted the profile, created new profile - same problem.
Deleted stuff in app_data/roaming/macromedia - same problem
It has nothing to do with hardware acceleration / video adapter driver.
It has nothing to do with UAC and access rights (already read the forums about that)
Tried safe mode, doesn't help.
Turned off security (antivir, firewall), doesn't help.
Nothing to do with hosts file. Flushed DNS, didn't help.

I guess it's not that critical, but it's the very idea that I can't figure it out which bugs me to hell.
Any ideas? Please help.

It just dosnt work properly with flash version 10+ :

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/980976

well I can't believe that, as it worked flawlessly until a few days ago, and like I said it works ok under sandboxie.

You didn't have time to read the article I posted :-) I use I.E 11 I like an easy life :-)

jackoo wrote:well I can't believe that, as it worked flawlessly until a few days ago, and like I said it works ok under sandboxie.
I gave up on FF quite some time ago and went with opera. But IE does work.

Yes, ok... I know IE works. I actually use it at work and seems to be more RAM friendly (at its newer versions). But I'm used to FF.
And it's not so much about the irritation that I can't see some web content, but more as the desire to understand what's going on.

I'm sure that some files / registry settings are messed up in my system, and I'd like to find out which ones they are.

PS: I tend to make my life hard :)

I've been on OS X for 4-5 years, so I hadn't bothered with FireFox much, but have since gotten a Surface Pro 3 so I downloaded it as I remembered it being nice (and used it on my Galaxy Note 8 ). Crash, crash, crash, crash... When I searched Google about the Flash plugin crashing in FF I saw posts going back many years.

I deleted FireFox at that point. I'm not a big fan of Flash, but if they can't fix it, and other browsers don't have the issue, then I am not going to deal with it.
Meh.

Firefox is not inherently bad, nor is flash.
My computer setup has a problem (localized). And I need to find out what it is.

Any other ideas?

jackoo wrote:Yes, ok... I know IE works. I actually use it at work and seems to be more RAM friendly (at its newer versions). But I'm used to FF.
And it's not so much about the irritation that I can't see some web content, but more as the desire to understand what's going on.

I'm sure that some files / registry settings are messed up in my system, and I'd like to find out which ones they are.

PS: I tend to make my life hard :)
I always gotta just go with what works. FF got borked somewhere along the way so I just gave up on it.

honestly, if Flash would just die, everyone would be better off.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

jackoo wrote:Firefox is not inherently bad, nor is flash.
Are you sure?...because I'll add my name to the people who've pretty much given up on Firefox due to multiple crashes per day due to flash/shockwave.

It all got significantly worse when FF released the update with the new tab look.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”