My ears feel funny

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got some $300 headphones I use often while producing (i live in an apartment). Lately, I've noticed that on certain sounds the headphones do a strange thing. It is hard to describe, but it is as if the hairs in my ear are tickled and a sound is audible like the needle on an old vinyl record. Those sounds don't seem to be especially loud, high or low pitched. I cannot really determine a factor on what makes it happen.

So, question #1 - Does anyone have any idea WTH I am taking about there?

Secondly, I worry about damaging my ears all the time. I set my output level on the phones through my MOTU Microbook II, set to -24db. I don't know if that is a good or correct setting. I also don't know if that is an accurate measurement, but no amplification occurs after my audio interface that I am aware of.

So, question #2 - How can I tell if my headphone output level is safe and what should it be?

Sounds like they're distorting or vibrating on a particular frequency.

Headphone use for mixing is not recommended except for double-checking,
and how loud is too loud - if you have to ask, you probably need a normal non-music person to come in a check.

metamorphosis wrote:Sounds like they're distorting or vibrating on a particular frequency.
Hmm, I should probably return them in that case. They were too much money to risk it being defective or getting worse down the road.
metamorphosis wrote:how loud is too loud - if you have to ask, you probably need a normal non-music person to come in a check.
Any outsider that comes in says its fine. I mean it is pretty soft. Just wondering if there is some set standard and some set way to measure if it below that standard. I ask because I've had ringing for about 2 seconds in my ears late at night recently off and on and I have been spending oodles of time with those headphones on. It might be because of the crackling thing though, that really makes me twinge when it happens.

Even some professional recordings have really high pitched frequencies that weren't EQed out because the guy mastering couldn't hear it I think haha. I've heard it in Celine Dion, Relient K, Avicii, lots of recordings.

For question #2- what I do is, if it's uncomfortable in the slightest, I turn it down, if necessary, I temporarily have a zero latency limiter on the master channel to increase volume.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”