what size SSD for DAW size on disc

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So today, my C: drive (HD) failed. Popped in the 256 SSD and it works like a charm. Problem is, I already had 300 GB on the old 500GB drive. So I may be shopping tonight for something larger. I just can't see 256 GB doing it.
So anyone care to discuss seek times? There's a big difference in price between the same drives with faster times.

e.g Samsung has their Pro and Evo series. Crucial seems closer to the Evo specs and OCZ has both types too.
Who's using which?

I just got the evo. Though I remember my thread when building this computer was a bit dicey, the consistent answer was the evo. The pro might be much better but they are quite a bit more (unless there is a sale)

But if you go to newegg, you can see those specs. Some of the brands have AWFUL specs and well.....that's why they are cheaper.

My 256gb is the pro, it's nice, but I wonder if I would even notice the difference between them.
Especially since the evo has dropped more than the pro has; making it a third to a half of the price.
The crucials seem to have got better too. I really want a TB, but seriously looking at the 512gb.
Tomorrow I'm going to see how creative I can get in setting up this 256gb though.

FWIW I have the Samsung 840 (not EVO) which I think is fairly entry level, and it just feels blazingly fast after having used an HDD. A few people are talking about getting a 512 over a 256, but if the option is there and you already have a 256, why not get another and RAID them? Insane performance, lower cost (if you already own one), and the convenience of addressing them both as one drive. Just make sure you back up regularly. You likely won't notice the increase in speed unless you're REALLY hammering the thing, but the convenience of having them as a single drive vs. cost of buying a new single one of double capacity is very appealing.

They have the 250 at best buy for 118 so Ima pick one of those up today. I don't really need the 500 and I've got plenty of slots for another 250 later.

Fry's price matched best buy. So hopefully tomorrow I'll be 100% ssd.

hibidy wrote:Fry's price matched best buy. So hopefully tomorrow I'll be 100% ssd.
Yes they do, and pretty easy to get the price match too. I just had Frys price match the 250GB Evo on Amazon for $118, a wireless keyboard, and even a barebones DVDRom drive. Saved me like $50. I can't complain. :) AND I had it that day instead of waiting for shipments.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

That's the good part ;)

Evo seems the best performance-price drive..the new pro's do benchmark better, and have a longer guarantee, but it's a lot more to pay for something that seems to get bottle-knecked by the sata

I am holding out for a 1tb evo. The advice seems to suggest 10-20% free space for efficient use. With that factored in, and the intended usage, i could imagine filling that quite easily.

I was worried about that, but I'm only up to about 340GB on my 750. I have omni, tril, komplete, live (with all those packs......I don't even know how big that is) and a bunch of stuff, and there is plenty of room to spare. That's why I just went with the 256 for my "E" drive replacement.

But yeah, a TB one if it was to go on killer sale, that's a peach!

Yes, you can turn of hibernation (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-20 ... ndows.html)

Also the paging file ideally should be relocated to a second HDD (as SSD's have limited write capacity).
Lastly considering RAM to prolongue the life of your SSD could be an option (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... ,3475.html)
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

hibidy wrote:I was worried about that, but I'm only up to about 340GB on my 750. I have omni, tril, komplete, live (with all those packs......I don't even know how big that is) and a bunch of stuff, and there is plenty of room to spare. That's why I just went with the 256 for my "E" drive replacement.

But yeah, a TB one if it was to go on killer sale, that's a peach!
haha, i could easily make a case for a 1.5tb ssd :o

Spiritos wrote:Yes, you can turn of hibernation (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-20 ... ndows.html)

Also the paging file ideally should be relocated to a second HDD (as SSD's have limited write capacity).
Lastly considering RAM to prolongue the life of your SSD could be an option (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... ,3475.html)
Let's add a bit of real world perspective here -

I have a Samsung 250GB EVO drive for my C: drive. It's been in my system for 284 days. My system runs 24/7. It has 16 gigs of RAM. I do a fair amount of gaming, lots of websurfing, and other general Office/reading/computer type tasks on this every single day. My page file is on my C: drive.

Anantech did a test on the 250GB drive, and got it to last for 900TB worth of writes. How much writing have I done in 284 days? 6.52TB according to Samsung Magician. At the same rate, even if I went super duper conservative and only said my drive would last 200TB for worth of writes, my drive would last approximately 23 years. Obviously, YMMV.

Your page file is not the enemy here. Even with TLC drives, I wouldn't be too worried. You're easily going to get a good run with these drives based on wear leveling. If it's going to die, likely it won't be because you've ran out of P/E cycles, unless you're doing significant write heavy applications. I think people, including myself there for awhile, are getting a little too paranoid about P/E cycles and realistically how long a drive will last. Enterprise database with 90% duty cycle throughout the day? I'd be worried. Your every day desktop? Not so much.

Devon
Last edited by DevonB on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

Double Post....

@DevonB - Can't argue with those numbers..

Still, if this is true - why is write lifecycle of an SSD such an important factor in reviews - even for the consumer market and by just about every serious and crictial/no-nonsense website out there?

Now I'm not saying you are wrong as your logic seems correct, I'm just curious.

I agree though that a lot of 'PC/DAW-tweaking' can consist of very marginal improvements. Yet the way I see it, it's about the total sum of all those little tweaks that count. Obviously it all boils down to personal preference and about what you feel comfortable with.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”