E5 series vs Core i7 4930K

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Deciding which to buy for the 9000x laptop series over at ADK. http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/view ... cordid=118
I can't seem to understand what warrants the extra 2k for the E5 (2697 specifically), does anybody have experience with Xenons in laptop workstations - how do they compare to i7's and are they worth the extra cost? The biggest priority for me is the ability to run a ton of plugins/sample libraries at once without a hitch.

Thanks -

most people will NOT need that kind of power. really its more for video editing than audio unless you are doing some serious orchestral work
its better if you call us so we can discuss your workflow, vs posting on a forum where you will get many answers.

Chris or Dave would be the best 2 to ask for.

thanks
Scott
ADK

I use the Xeon. What I get is stability without the need to overclock like the i7.
I do use heavy VI's and FX on it though. So if your needs are more basic, the i7's will be more than enough.
Since you can get last years models so much cheaper now in a full system, I'm thinking of picking up one as a second I can use when not at the studio and still network it to the other. While they aren't the 4930K, the 4770 and 4770K can be picked up for less than $7-800.00

a Xeon is NO more stable than a desktop processor
they are the exact same silicon and product.
that is a myth.

Scott
ADK

Sorry, I didn't noticed you were asking about Laptop workstations.
I wasn't even aware of any Xeon configurations for them.
Likewise with the 4930K, IIRC, the 'experts' I've talked to mention the heat problems associated them often.
Unless that's changed, I think you're still looking at the MX and S extensions on the i7s to keep it running cool?

no heat issues either desktop (4930K) vs Xeon
again they are identical.
the only point to a Xeon is more cores than 6. which as the OP listed is a 12 core.
I don't know what "expert" you talked to but they are full of it.
not that I would have a clue

Scott
ADK

Heat issues that were discussed dealt with being in a laptop. Not a desktop.
But I failed to notice before that the OP was asking about a Laptop configuration.
Heat issues and battery drain are relative in that way.
Btw, you were one of the 'experts' that told me that, jcschild.

I know things change, but I still haven't seen a xeon laptop and the i7 power laptops seem to be centered around the MX and S versions still?
Which models are you using in laptops effectively and without issue?

my point is the Xeon and desktop are the same processor so they have no differences.. they literally come from the very same silicon and die lines, with slight changes at the end of the process.

we are using the very latest in that laptop (4930k, up to the newest 2697V2 12 core Xeon) well technically not the latest as today was the launch of the newer Haswell- E.

now if you want to get extremely technical
the xeons are supposed to be "binned" which may lead to very slightly smaller temps. 1-3 degrees
but nothing of relevance.

that info may have been from many yrs ago. and probably more to do with DUAL Xeon and trying to cool a system if I ever said they were warmer.
dual Xeons are not easy to cool quietly but we do it..

Scott
ADK

jcschild wrote:most people will NOT need that kind of power. really its more for video editing than audio unless you are doing some serious orchestral work
its better if you call us so we can discuss your workflow, vs posting on a forum where you will get many answers.

Chris or Dave would be the best 2 to ask for.

thanks
Scott
ADK
Thanks Scott! Always admired the way ADK is honest enough to inform people what they don't need, appreciate that! I'll be calling soon

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”