Power supplies.....the most interesting subject in history!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:hihi:

Ok, so for the boring facts, I have a corsair in this new-ish system. Works great, but it "kicks in" every once in a while and spins the fan like some wheel-of-fortune grind from time to time. Plus, it shows up as WAY hotter in the bios than the rest of the system.

I was looking at "be quiet" and thought I'd start yet another thread here at KVR and see if people had thoughts on the subject. It's not critical by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm starting to get into bragging rights territory on this PC since I finally got the second SSD in and the non-stock fan. (yes, I'm WAY behind! :lol: )

EDIT: I ended up saying it's good enough. Thanks for convo though :)
Last edited by hibidy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

If, by what you are describing, you mean it is noisy, then that shouldn't be.

Have you determined what the temp is supposed to be when it kicks in? Is the kick in-temp adjustable. Like your system fans in BIOS.

Maybe the PSU is not kicking in because the system is running cool.

Sounds like RMA time to me hibidy. :shrug:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

No, they are supposed to do that, I checked with corsair. I'll look into the temp thing.

Bull hockey you say :hihi:

They're supposed to be noisy? Are we talking about the PSU or the SSD? As far as I know SSD's don't make any noise. And PSU's have evolved to be very quiet today. Definitely shouldn't sound like wheel of fortune spinning.

They (SSD's and PSU's) shouldn't be running hotter than anything else in the box either. That's for the CPU and the RAM to do. SSD's may run a bit hotter than a conventional HDD but not by much if any.

If Corsair told you that then they are just trying to push you off. That would piss me off.

Every computer builder today is selecting hardware to minimize noise. Else why would they come up with things like sound dampening? Especially for DAW work.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

PSU kicks in from time to time and makes a noticeable noise. I was wondering if "be quiet" PSU's (or others) don't have that issue and are just quiet. Considering how incredibly quiet this CPU fan is (and how well it cools) I was hoping to get info on the really quiet (and I mean REALLY quiet) PSU's.

There is nothing wrong with my PSU. When it reaches a certain temp it kicks on, so it's only silent when it's not spinning :nutter:

Hopefully I'm making more sense.

Well, it's hard to gauge what is an execptable level of noise for someone else over the internet but here's my case:

I have 3 systems going each with an OCZ 700 watt Mod-Extreme Pro.

There are times I have to double check to make sure the fans are working. I guess I get a bit paranoid that way cause I had one go off once. I mean as in KABOOM.

Now that was noisy :hihi:

I wouldn't call these "be quiet" PSU's but they are quiet. Sometimes I wonder if marketing guru's come up with these catch phrases just to trap an unsuspecting sort. (Actually it's not wondering, we all know why marketing people have jobs right? ;) )

Anyway, if you have a PSU, or any hardware, that is making unusual noises, you have a piece of faulty hardware IMHO. But again, it's hard to gauge what is unusual noise over the internet. :shrug:

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Ha, I happen to be just the sucker they are looking for.

In fact, the noise it not much of an issue, but I'm thinking bragging rights territory here :hihi: If there was a PSU that was really/truly quiet then I'd have the scariest computer in history....I know....me me me....:ud:

There are fanless PSUs to avoid any noise but the simpler ones with large fans should do a good enough job.

I finally got fed up with the noise in my studio and decided to spend a little extra on going quiet. Got the EVGA Supernova G2 750W, a Fractal Design R4 case without the window (has lots of great damping material inside the whole case), and the Thermalright TrueSpirit 140mm CPU fan. I used the onboard video of the 4790k chip so no video card noise, and boot off of SSD. However, I do have a 1TB WD drive in it, but I don't really hear it. In fact, I barely hear anything out of this rig at all. If I sit behind it, I hear a bit of fan noise, but I really have to be sitting on top of this thing to hear anything at all. Love it, worth the extra few bucks. SOOOOO much better than my last one that sounded like I had a $10 window fan going on.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Buy cheap buy twice.

I found a golden rule for purchasing gear.

Don't buy the cheapest and don't buy the most expensive,buy the appropriate.

A Google search is worth considering too.

My Seasonic is silent even under load,here you have it.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

dsan@mail.com wrote:Bull hockey you say :hihi:

They're supposed to be noisy? Are we talking about the PSU or the SSD? As far as I know SSD's don't make any noise. And PSU's have evolved to be very quiet today. Definitely shouldn't sound like wheel of fortune spinning.

They (SSD's and PSU's) shouldn't be running hotter than anything else in the box either. That's for the CPU and the RAM to do. SSD's may run a bit hotter than a conventional HDD but not by much if any.

If Corsair told you that then they are just trying to push you off. That would piss me off.

Every computer builder today is selecting hardware to minimize noise. Else why would they come up with things like sound dampening? Especially for DAW work.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Bull hockey or honkey?

t3toooo wrote:Buy cheap buy twice.

I found a golden rule for purchasing gear.

Don't buy the cheapest and don't buy the most expensive,buy the appropriate.

A Google search is worth considering too.

My Seasonic is silent even under load,here you have it.
I've heard good things about Seasonic, definitely looking into them. The corsair isn't cheap. In fact, I've always heard such good things about them that I was really surprised. Why wouldn't a company with their rep just make a decent PSU with a reasonable fan vs something that is basically "off" and only kicks in when it needs to? I'd never even heard of such a thing before I got this :shrug:

DevonB wrote:I finally got fed up with the noise in my studio and decided to spend a little extra on going quiet. Got the EVGA Supernova G2 750W, a Fractal Design R4 case without the window (has lots of great damping material inside the whole case), and the Thermalright TrueSpirit 140mm CPU fan. I used the onboard video of the 4790k chip so no video card noise, and boot off of SSD. However, I do have a 1TB WD drive in it, but I don't really hear it. In fact, I barely hear anything out of this rig at all. If I sit behind it, I hear a bit of fan noise, but I really have to be sitting on top of this thing to hear anything at all. Love it, worth the extra few bucks. SOOOOO much better than my last one that sounded like I had a $10 window fan going on.

Devon
It's odd, even though the computer wasn't really noisy, the thing I heard loudest was the HD I used for audio. I mean, louder than the cpu fan, louder than the PSU, it clicked...there was vibration...and that spinning sound was really obvious.

The worst part? With headphones on it was worse :? Anyways, I went 100% SSD now and it's just not an issue.

hibidy wrote: I've heard good things about Seasonic, definitely looking into them. The corsair isn't cheap. In fact, I've always heard such good things about them that I was really surprised. Why wouldn't a company with their rep just make a decent PSU with a reasonable fan vs something that is basically "off" and only kicks in when it needs to? I'd never even heard of such a thing before I got this :shrug:
I got a bit harsh, :hihi:

I'm talking about 130-160 (Dollar or Euro),at least for a DAW machine.

Well,my Seasonic's fan is also kicking in at some point but it's barely audible so i would say the corsair's fan could be damaged,which model is it btw?

If there is a warranty i still would try to contact corsair,maybe try to talk with somebody else.
If it wouldn't be a PSU i had maybe suggested to replace the fan but it is a PSU so i wouldn't touch it with a screw driver and open it.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I don't remember the model number but I can safely promise it's not defective. (after having the slightly annoying issue I've done my research, too bad I didn't before :roll: )

Interesting what you say about the fan kicking in. I've now heard this from several PSU's and I don't understand it. Again, why wouldn't they just make a PSU that has a continuously spinning fan that keeps things in check vs a fan that annoyingly kicks in every few minutes? :? And by annoyingly kicking in I mean that it goes into a higher gear obviously. If it was just spinning at a nice lower speed, it would likely not be as much of an issue :shrug:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”