Vote for improved audio in Windows 10

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you want better audio handling in Windows, you can vote for it here:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/26 ... query=asio

On a built in soundcard? What's the difference from Wasapi? It'd still crash easily.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

This is great idea that needs more votes. Having built-in alternative to ASIO will never hurt. You should repost this on Gearslutz.

What's wrong in audio handling in Windows 10? Is oS X better in this respect?
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

penguinfromdeep wrote:What's wrong in audio handling in Windows 10?
Bad latency.
penguinfromdeep wrote: Is oS X better in this respect?
Yes

Won't a general ASIO driver always create worse latency than one specifically written for one chipset? I think, on Mac, the situation is a bit different, because Apple also decides which hardware is built into the Macs, and probably builds and changes the drivers around it. And everyone serious on making music will probably have an audio interface with dedicated drivers anyway, so i don't know if the benefit of a general ASIO driver would be so high really.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was a bit confused because I thought why would you need anything else than Asio and you can get low latency in Cubase, Live etc ..
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

What is this site though? Is it in any way a site that MS set up to gather this kind of information? Voting numbers look really low for something that might influence how MS does things...

robojam wrote:What is this site though? Is it in any way a site that MS set up to gather this kind of information? Voting numbers look really low for something that might influence how MS does things...
It's a third party feedback site used by Microsoft.
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-uservoice

I am comfortable the way things are. I don't trust OS builders for this task.

Core Audio and Core MIDI stay pretty much the same from several years ago, as well as AU, and Audio MIDI Setup is now basically an icon that leads to nothing. Music and Audio aren't important enough for the big business, so, better leave the support for those who really care about it.

This way we will get better support, and we have more opportunities to be heard. ASIO works very well for PC. Those who don't have some ASIO hardware, better spend a few bucks and get one.
Fernando (FMR)

The problem with ASIO is that you can only have one program running at a time. I like to play melodies along with hit songs or the radio to get the chords or notes for analysis or for creative ideas. So I constantly switch between ASIO which has acceptable latency and the default which allows you to listen and play along. Also, I might be in ASIO, then want to listen to a song or watch a tutorial video or listen to my own MP3s, and have to switch to the default driver and back again. Basically, it feels archaic and it slows down workflow.

As for using a separate soundcards, you normally don't take a soundcard along with your laptop to the cafe.

This is really the one issue that tempts me to switch to Mac. It's also something that makes Windows seem very uncool.

What RunBeerRun said.
As long as there isn't listed what's wrong with WASAPI (Windows current low latency Audio driver, for me it performs close to as good as my soundcards ASIO driver), I don't see much chance MS will tackle this.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI
Last edited by No_Use on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martingifford wrote:The problem with ASIO is that you can only have one program running at a time. I like to play melodies along with hit songs or the radio to get the chords or notes for analysis or for creative ideas. So I constantly switch between ASIO which has acceptable latency and the default which allows you to listen and play along. Also, I might be in ASIO, then want to listen to a song or watch a tutorial video or listen to my own MP3s, and have to switch to the default driver and back again. Basically, it feels archaic and it slows down workflow.
No problem. Record the music you want to play along with, and play along as much as you want. Regarding changing back and forth from ASIO, I frankly don't see where is the problem.

Remember one of the best computer laws: If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.
Fernando (FMR)

WASAPI not supported by Ableton.

Clunky workarounds needed = it's broke.

martingifford wrote:WASAPI not supported by Ableton.

Clunky workarounds needed = it's broke.
First one is rather in the hands of the DAW manufacturers no ?
A bit the same like saying Core Audio is bad because my DAW doesn't support it.

And working fine here with my DAW (which supports it).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for audio enhancements in Windows, but I feel this request may beed to be a bit better refined to have any success.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”