Time for a change?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm getting a few pops/clicks from my asio time usage in Cubase 6 and I'm wondering if I should be thinking of a new PC/DAW.

I have had a dig around with some utilities and my spec is as below:

Asus PX658D-E motherboard
CPU - i7 930 @2.8 ghz
Memory - 12gb DDR3 (had it in my head I had 32gb ram!!!!)
OS - Windows 7 64 bit on a 256gb SSD drive
Nvidia - Nvidia GeForce GT610
Soundcard - NI Komplete 6

Raise your buffers a bit. I'm on cubase 6/7/8, w7 64 with 8gig on a intel quad q6600 (older than i7) and it works like a charm.

Couple of things you can check that jump to mind, off the top off my head.

As mentioned ASIO buffer, start high and work down. 10 ms is generally accepted as workable.
Check unnecessary programs that are running on your system in the back ground.
Updated your soundcard driver...clean insall is normally best.
Hard drive, audio recording etc, check the hard drive you are using is at maxium capacity and a defrag may help from time to time.
If you are using your SSD as your OS drive and similtaneously recording/playback audio may be your problem.

I ran SSD with OS and programs, program data on a 2nd drive and 3rd drive for audio recording/playback.

FWIW

Running Cubase 8 on Win 8.1 with 17 920@2.67ghz and 12gb Ram@1066mhz (not one for overclocking).
RME Fireface800 @ 256

I can run a hell of a lot of plugins without clicking but the new asio guard seem to be working well, been a while since I ran C6 so may not be a fair comparisson.

Definately shouldn't need a change.

Unless of course you are runnin many instances of u-he Diva in divine mode with a lot of plugins, channels and reverb! :)

I have found 2CAudio along with some pads in synthmaster and diva divine, buckles :)

On the other hand I have projects with 5+ vts instruments and about 40+ plugins and no issue

Guys thanks so much for the comments. Good to hear that my system should be fine as I'd prefer not to spend a fair bit of ££/$$ on a new machine at the minute!! I'll look in to the suggestions mentioned and see if I can source what may be causing the asio to spike.

Other than if using a single drive for everything may be bottle necking things, I'd also say your machine is fine.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the specs, last I've heard nothing has changed with regarding the 3 hard drive formula (whether SSD or regular HDD) for a machine for audio & VSTi's.

HDD 1 - OS/Programs
HDD 2 - Project audio
HDD 2 - Samples for VSTi's etc.

I would never use a single HDD (SSD or regular) in a serious DAW machine. I'm still running on Win XP with 4 GB ram on my (2.5 Ghz & 3 Ghz) quad core machines and they run fine (to a point of course with the 32 bit limitations). I use up to 4 HDD's in one, and depending on what the machine is used for, I may use as little as 2 HDD's for my VSTi only machine (no audio).

Of course having/using a great audio interface with proper ASIO drivers means something.

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yeah, I have my OS and most commonly used sample libraries on the SSD drive. Other main software on my internal standard drive and a 3tb drive external (also have a 1tb drive) for anything else!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”