Audio dropouts - Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've been experiencing audio dropouts with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP recently. Basically, I'm getting audio dropouts that are sometimes intermittent and sometimes permanent. Re-starting the computer usually sorts this. Ive just noticed the during the last permanent no audio problem that the audio device in the device setup had been de-selected from using my Focusrtie interface. Something seems to be causing this to be de-selected within Cubase 8. Also, my computer is crashing or freezing on a weekly basis! At the moment I have four versions of Cubase installed (5,6,7 & 8). I've been slack in not uninstalling older versions so have my vsts installed in several different VST folders within each version of Cubase. When I load Cubase 8 it is loading vst's from 5,6 & 7. Not only that, some of that software are beta versions so there could easily be a conflict going on somewhere. I'm hoping that a wiping my PC and doing a completely fresh install of Windows 7 with only Cubase 8 and no beta software will solve the problem.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

General crashing/Freezing can be hardware/drivers. Id check HDD/Ram/PSU. Go to your HDD makers website and get a test tool. For RAM :

http://www.memtest.org/

If the PC is crashing weekly, have a look in your Event Log. Google how to get there in the Control Panel. There should be clues what caused it for what reason.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I had some audio dropouts on my non-DSP Pro 24 (Mac), replacing the FireWire cable fixed 'em.
Also for some reason mine occasionally will set clock source to something other than Internal (which is my default), might be worth checking.

You may want to check to make sure BOTH the sound module and Cubase have the same exact buffer settings.

This recently came up in the Bitwig Studio threads and seems to have solved drop out problems for many users.

As for the crashing I'd take a look at the PSU. If it is 3 or more years old it is likely time to replace it.

The multiple Cubase installs will not cause you to crash but it could be causing you problems with the de-selecting issue you have. You may have multiple preference files causing some confusion for Cubase.

There's also no need to have several VST locations. Even though Cubase will find VST's wherever you tell it to, you are just asking for trouble with so much redundancy.

If for no other reason I would clean up that HDD so it is not overworked trying to find things. It may also help you achieve speedier loading and boot times.

I know we don't want to clean house but it really is worth it :tu:
While you cleaning out that HDD take a moment to open up the computer and blow the cob webs out ;).

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”