Has anyone built a new DAW recently? tips on builds?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks.

Again, it's really tough for the average fellow. I absolutely cannot afford the 5830, I might be able to squeeze the 5820 but pretty sure I'ma suffer with what I have.

How is that build working out ? All good with DPC Latency checkers ?

I'm looking to build a similar PC in the very near future, so I'm on the lookout for motherboards with good drivers. My previous build worked very well, but the 4790K would more than double its DSP capabilities. The R5 case is already on my list, as is a Noctua CPU cooler.

Throbert wrote:Here's mine,
Still have to finish the case work, but here's my parts,

CPU : Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
good reviews, it's fast and don't need 6 or 8 cores for an instrument rig.
CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Huge cooler, Great brand, should keep temps very manageable.
Motherboard : MSI Z97 MPOWER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Took some time to pick this. wanted to keep real time performance up and CPU hits down, great BIOS for tuning and OC. MSI uses quality components.
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
I've read that Crucial gets good chips so I went with 2 times this since it was cheaper than a 4 8GB kit. Two channels so no big deal.
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Don't have it yet, may be a better or cheaper option.
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX
I've had good but limited experience with Corsair, think this will do fine.

Don't see any reason for a GPU card it's onboard the MOBO and the CPU supports it. Looking at a possible M.2 drive for the OS but have a couple 128GB 840 EVOs for now.
Bought a 5 unit rackmount case from a place called Par Metal in NY, they fabbed the face to accept 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX fans and a couple of front load dual 2.5 drive cages,one with a slim optical slot, if needed. Also a couple holes for power and reset, the swithes have independent LEDs for power and HDs.
Will mix for fun

airon wrote:How is that build working out ? All good with DPC Latency checkers ?
BTW, there is much debate on this! I'm not an expert but I'll tell you two I've tried and then you can see if it adds any value to what you know.

DPC latency checker: "Allegedly" this is not compatible with win 8 through 10. Not buying it. Other than I have some minor issues that are not the fault of DPC latency checker, it seems to be totally accurate. YMMV.

Latency Mon: YICK! Causes problems with win10, is nearly impossible to figure out why and is also not recommended for latency checking.

What is? F...k if I know. There is a conversation on at GS's that seems to be the equivalent of "well, there is better, but not sure how to tell you how to do that" :roll:

Again, may be of no use to you or you might already know but that's my experience.

incubus wrote: DPC latency checker: "Allegedly" this is not compatible with win 8 through 10. Not buying it. Other than I have some minor issues that are not the fault of DPC latency checker, it seems to be totally accurate. YMMV.
Is it not still adding a baseline 1000ms to everything by default? The clocking monitoring method was adjusted in w8 upwards and unless they've finally released an update I'm not aware of, its well and truely broken.
incubus wrote: Latency Mon: YICK! Causes problems with win10, is nearly impossible to figure out why and is also not recommended for latency checking.
I use this all day long for troubleshooting with clients and I've not seen W10 issues with it. It's awesome once you learn it, tells you so much more than DPCLC ever could, regarding whats broken and by how much.
incubus wrote: There is a conversation on at GS's that seems to be the equivalent of "well, there is better, but not sure how to tell you how to do that" :roll:
Use the Windows ADK installer to install the Windows performance toolkit and run a DPC trace.
It's a long painful process and I hate doing it.

*deleted*

Kaine wrote:
incubus wrote: DPC latency checker: "Allegedly" this is not compatible with win 8 through 10. Not buying it. Other than I have some minor issues that are not the fault of DPC latency checker, it seems to be totally accurate. YMMV.
Is it not still adding a baseline 1000ms to everything by default? The clocking monitoring method was adjusted in w8 upwards and unless they've finally released an update I'm not aware of, its well and truely broken.
incubus wrote: Latency Mon: YICK! Causes problems with win10, is nearly impossible to figure out why and is also not recommended for latency checking.
I use this all day long for troubleshooting with clients and I've not seen W10 issues with it. It's awesome once you learn it, tells you so much more than DPCLC ever could, regarding whats broken and by how much.
incubus wrote: There is a conversation on at GS's that seems to be the equivalent of "well, there is better, but not sure how to tell you how to do that" :roll:
Use the Windows ADK installer to install the Windows performance toolkit and run a DPC trace.
It's a long painful process and I hate doing it.
I don't know what to say. Latency mon made using real-time audio impossible here. It defeated it's purpose, but you seem like you are good with all the extras it offers. The DPC latency checker has been good to me because it will red spike if there is a driver issue with wifi.

If it worked for you, then fair enough that really is all that matters. The are just technical reasons that it shouldn't be working in 8 upwards which I've seen time and again , as well as great features that Latency Monitor has that can make it very easy to track down system issues, that latency checker can't spot.

I can't deny that's its (latency monitor) complicated for users that are not use to it, it confused me the first few times I got to grips with it, and yet the documentation sucks for people that don't have some background that sort of troubleshooting. I'll note that Latency Monitor can false negitive itself in a couple of tests, so that admittedly takes a little getting used to.

It was more just your "Allegedly" comment that caused me to respond, the latency checker problem is well reported, known issue that even it's creaters acknowledge is a problem. Other users who pick it up, may not be as lucky as you have been!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”