Hook up synth to DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'd like to hook up an Eowave Domino to my DAW (FL Studio) but I have no clue :) This synth has only got midi in, audio in and audio out.

As it doesn't have a USB connection, I'm lost... I guess I need an interface. If so, any recommendations? I want to use it with my DAW's piano roll so a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 won't cut it because of lack of midi, right?

This hooking up thing (and reading about it) is just confusing me... Thanks for your advise.

Yes, you will need an MIDI interface or a MIDI keyboard to hear the sounds.

Hook up is simple:
1.) Connect a MIDI cable - Out (from interface or keyboard) to In (Domino)
2.) Connect Domino's Audio Out to your sound system
3.) In FL route a channel to the Domino (this could vary depending on how you set up the above), insert a note in the piano roll, or play the keyboard, and there you have it.

If the above does not get you going then you have something routed incorrect. If all else fails, read the manual (again):
http://www.eowave.com/downloads/domino_ ... nglish.pdf

I know you said "reading about it is confusing" but it's really not that difficult. Slow yourself down and re-read the instructions until you have it. I know you want to play the device (sounds cool :tu:) but you have to first understand how to use it. Get out of the frame of mind "I just want it to work" ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Hey thanks dsan, very helpful!

The "I just want it to work" thing describes it perfectly :) When I got the domino I ordered some 1/4 jacks, 1/8 adapters and a midi cable thinking that 'd do the trick. I thought what the heck, I might be able to ram the midi cable in the PC's mouse input. Looks a bit alike, no? In my defense, I had my doubts from the beginning :D

If I understand correctly, from here I could probably pull it off by using a usb to midi converter, but I like the idea of an interface as my PC is already very stuffed (except for the mouse input that is...) and an interface will offer some flexibility for the future as well.

Been reading up and I think I'll be splashing some birthday cash on a Focusrite Scarlett 4i2.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”