How many cores do you have in your computer?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

How many cores do you have in your computer?

1 core (I hope nobody will check this one anymore :D )
4%
2 cores -> 4 threads (core2, i3, i5, i7, various amd...)
15%
4 cores -> 8 threads (probably just i7, xeon, amd...)
49%
6 cores -> 12 threads (probably just i7, xeon, amd...)
16%
8 cores -> 16 threads (probably just xeon, amd)
8%
Even more cores... (probably just xeon)
5%
Neither of the options
4%

Total votes: 111

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, just interested :), check all you have in your setups please ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

A little bump to get more votes :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Voted! Looks like I'm close to being in the majority.

8 cores, 8 threads -> AMD 8 core with no hyperthreading.

pljones wrote:8 cores, 8 threads -> AMD 8 core with no hyperthreading.
Aaaha, interesting, then I'd say vote for "4 core -> 8 threads"
Vojtech

BTW i5 do not have hyperthreading.

x2 Intel Xeon E5-2690 v2 = 20 actual / 40 hyperthreaded cores in one computer.

And yes, to answer your next question - I'm absolutely crazy.

:D :D indeed! :D
Vojtech

camsr wrote:BTW i5 do not have hyperthreading.
Hmmm, it probably depends, but I had i5 on my laptop and it had hyperthreading. I believe all i5 do, but maybe not... Did you try to enable it in bios?
Vojtech

No I have an i5 as well and it does not have hyper threading - makes it tricky to know which of your choices to vote for as it is 4 cores but ot 8 hyper threads

I can concur. Some i5s do have hyperthreading and some don't. Actually, there are some lower spec'ed i7s that don't have hyperthreading either, so drawing the conclusion that the difference between the i5 and i7 classes by hyperthreading alone is actually false. When in doubt, Google the actual i3/i5/i7 model number and Intel will tell you if it hyperthreads or not.
Last edited by Cinemascore on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now that's a mess! :o
Vojtech

I didn't apply for the human lie-detector job :)
So what's the idea behind the poll Voj? Something computed in parallel?

I still have a Pentium 4 at 3Gigahertz with Hyperthreading but a few developers adopted hyperthreading way back then. It could be enable or not in the very early versions of Sonar which to me did not make a marginal increase.

Now I have an I7 quad core w/hyperthreading running Logic 9 with the option in preference to choose how many cores to use and believe it or not, sometimes it runs better with lessor cores! Depending on the plugins I guess. I did not dwell figuring all that out.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”