Wndows 10 Stupid Question

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please forgive my ignorance...IF I install Windows 10 will I have to re-install my DAW and any other programs that I am running under Windows 7? :oops:
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

If you do an update then it is likely you will not have to re-install programs; however, there is a possibility you will have to re-authorize some of them.

If you do a fresh install you will have to re-install everything you now have installed as this procedure wipes the harddrive.

Be aware some of your programs may not work in W10. Some updaters have reported some probelms with software and hardware after the update.

I recommend checking first to be sure updating is preferred. Contact your software/hardware companies to be sure they have made ready their products for Windows 10.

Having said all this, you may not have any problems at all. Personally, I'm waiting to know for sure everything works.

HTH

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:If you do an update then it is likely you will not have to re-install programs; however, there is a possibility you will have to re-authorize some of them.

If you do a fresh install you will have to re-install everything you now have installed as this procedure wipes the harddrive.

Be aware some of your programs may not work in W10. Some updaters have reported some probelms with software and hardware after the update.

I recommend checking first to be sure updating is preferred. Contact your software/hardware companies to be sure they have made ready their products for Windows 10.

Having said all this, you may not have any problems at all. Personally, I'm waiting to know for sure everything works.

HTH

Cheers!
dsan
Thank you for clearing this up for me. I had Googled the question but the answers were specific to the Win 10 preview only. I think I'll follow your lead and wait and see.
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

Glad I was able to help :tu:

BTW - the ONLY stupid question I know is "Tonight Honey ??? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: "

You may want to consider a title change ;)

Maybe to - Windows 10 Update Question

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:

99% you will have to re-install major stuff like DAW and deep registry VSTs such as Native Instruments & Spectrasonics.

color me : waiting till everyone else has done it first

:ud:
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I'm a bit worried about whether my Novation Nio 2/4 will work in Windows 10. It's a long discontinued interface and I'd rather not drop another £100 on something when this thing is really solid and does the job. I was actually delighted that Novation made Windows 8 drivers for it even though it had been discontinued for a while at that point. Nice move Novation! :tu:

Windows 10 is another beast though :?

Like you cron I have reservations about some of my gear. Went through that with XP to Vista and lost some things in the move. Then going to 7 didn't bring them back so now they are paper weights, if there still exists such a thing ;)

Without knowing for certain, I will think if it worked in 8 it will work in 10. Of course it remains to be seen but all I have read so far points to a successful transition.

I think M$ did a better job this time supporting legacy software and gear - from what I have read :shrug:

Maybe someone who has upgraded already will chime in and let us know the truth before we take any plunges.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”