Are we upgrading to Win 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xNiMiNx wrote:According to http://www.techamok.com/?pid=16165
We can block these addresses to somewhat cripple the talkback:
Blocking *all* of those on an online computer might do more harm than good. In the case of setting up a computer for Granny, you would want to make sure automatic updates, SmartScreen, troubleshooting tools, etc. are fully functional. Otherwise you could have bigger troubles than the NSA finding out Granny plays Candy Crush.

The website with this info runs scripts from googlesyndication.com. I know it's not the same as having such behavior in the OS, but pretty much any time you open a web browser someone is trying to mine data. If you try to block all the scripts sometimes the web page won't do what you wanted.

Windows 10 sends data to Microsoft, despite privacy settings

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... -settings/

MS new undocumented feature 'your clicks say no, but your eyes say yes'

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Even without dabbling into any sort of conspiracy theories the default privacy and security settings on Windows are plain out appalling. The defaults are definitely set in bad faith and try to exploit lack of due diligence and knowledge by the users.

Windows 10 is free for a reason. Microsoft wants everyone to get into its new advertising and customer milking platform, plain and simple. I'm sure soon all the Windows 10 users will be nickel and dimed with all kind of microtransactions for various "features". Also can't wait till the advertising starts to pop up on desktop. After all, it's already in many built in Windows apps.

For a while, when running the insider preview in sandboxing environment, I thought Windows 10 is barely ok. But now that I'm supporting it, I'm actually starting to hate it like Windows 8. It's amazing how dumbed down everything and how customization possibilities have been stripped out from various places. At first I thought ok, I'll bear this out, but every time when using Windows 7 it just bother me more and more. And the stupid schizophrenic tablet-desktop UI still gets in the way in many places. So in short: not going to upgrade any time soon as there's really no compelling reason to do so.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:Even without dabbling into any sort of conspiracy theories the default privacy and security settings on Windows are plain out appalling. The defaults are definitely set in bad faith and try to exploit lack of due diligence and knowledge by the users.
Can only repeat myself. They appeal to the average user. An average user doesn't care about security, he doesn't care about updating his software, and he clicks any shit he comes along, which is also why you use antivirus software and firewalls. Anything else is made up by our nice agitators and self-proclaimed privacy advocates who care so much for everyone of us that it makes me wonder if i still have a free will, or own opinion. Because all they do they actually due to their own ideals and agenda.

Oh well.

A re-post for a quick look regarding privacy.

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

I leave the "send to Microsoft stuff" on because i'm convinced that it is good for improving the OS.
Turned off the sniffing advertisements for private company's though.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

aciddose wrote:So what they did to satisfy the courts is simply hide the icon to launch it :)
Basically.

Although Edge isn't half bad. It's fast (for now) but CSS3 isn't totally supported yet.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Yeah, i quite like Edge too. Although it sill lacks some (for me) essential features like a quick start home page, bookmarks and browser history sync, open pictures in new tab, an improved auto completion in the navigation bar, and it still has some bugs, and display issues if the site loads to slow on slower machines. It's lightning fast though, even faster than Chrome, and really has some potential. At least much more fun now than Internet Explorer ever was for me. Slim and simple, i like that.

Hail the EULA!

camsr wrote:Hail the EULA!
Actually, yes. I hardly have ever read such an extensive explanation of what they do with the data you enter than that. :) Actually i think it's a mistake, because it rather makes people think "UUH! I NEVER GOT SPIED ON SO MUCH!!" than it really makes people think "Oh, look, they tell me everything they do with my data.". Generally, i think it's a mistake to try to please the privacy advocates like that. But then, either way will be a mistake if your name is Microsoft.

chk071 wrote:
Actually, yes. I hardly have ever read such an extensive explanation of what they do with the data you enter than that. :) Actually i think it's a mistake, because it rather makes people think "UUH! I NEVER GOT SPIED ON SO MUCH!!" than it really makes people think "Oh, look, they tell me everything they do with my data.". Generally, i think it's a mistake to try to please the privacy advocates like that. But then, either way will be a mistake if your name is Microsoft.
If they would have set all this crap to off, followed by a popup message asking for your soul on first run, cortana, search, etc, at least 1 privacy advocate would be pleased. :) But...

Why bother programming pages upon pages of on/off switches and graphics, if the OS is going to ignore privacy settings and send data anyway?

Im still running xp as my main OS. Early tests of Win 10 had me ready to finally upgrade. Now i know that im done with MS future products after seeing their new 'direction'. At the most, if i stick with windows ill cap out at 7.

Sure, im 1 user. Does deploying the 0S to a network of 100 computers with camera's attached send 100x 32mb to some MS server? Does plugging that same USB camera into a different port send a following 32mb? Yeah, i dont feel like running those tests either.
Last edited by xNiMiNx on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

One good thing may come from this, hardware manufacturers may now see the market potential for linux development.

xNiMiNx wrote: Sure, im 1 user. Does deploying the 0S to a network of 100 computers with camera's attached send 100x 32mb to some MS server? Does plugging that same USB camera into a different port send a following 32mb? Yeah, i dont feel like running those tests either.
Huh?

I think tech companies are taking the "shoot first, ask questions later" approach now. They have mountains of lawyers just in case they fook up.
And they give the new OS version away for free... are they serious? :lol:

xNiMiNx wrote:
chk071 wrote:
If they would have set all this crap to off, followed by a popup message asking for your soul on first run, cortana, search, etc, at least 1 privacy advocate would be pleased. :) But...
Fair enough, but they want people to use their services, and they want people to use Cortana. As a bottom line, they want to make money. Kinf of see it flop though, as Google or Apple don't annoy you with gazillions of privacy settings and explanation, while still doing the same stuff as Microsoft does, and they're pretty successive with it. Well, we'll see.

Working here like a champ. I actually like Windows 10. Don't care about Microsoft spying on me, nothing to fear or hide. Maybe Google knows way more about me. :shrug:

chk071 wrote:Fair enough, but they want people to use their services, and they want people to use Cortana. As a bottom line, they want to make money. Kinf of see it flop though, as Google or Apple don't annoy you with gazillions of privacy settings and explanation, while still doing the same stuff as Microsoft does, and they're pretty successive with it. Well, we'll see.
With all the stuff thats going on with these features, anyone around here going to use it in a live situation? People wanting features is fine. Forcing people to use keyloggers to help others with features they dont want is another thing.
Yorrrrrr wrote:I actually like Windows 10. Don't care about Microsoft spying on me, nothing to fear or hide. Maybe Google knows way more about me. :shrug:
Ive got nothing to hide when i go to an airport, it doesnt mean im going to welcome cavity searches with open arms.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”