Win10 upgrade reports

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

About your Win10 installation

I have opted in but not yet received my upgrade
9%
I have opted in but am postponing my upgrade
19%
I have upgraded and there were no upgrade problems at all, all my applications work and I am happily using native Win10
42%
I have upgraded and there were no upgrade problems at all, all my applications work and I am happily using an alternative shell, having tried native Win10
3%
I have upgraded and there were no upgrade problems at all, all my applications work and I am happily using an alternative shell, without trying native Win10
2%
I have upgraded and there were no upgrade problems at all, some application seem less than 100% okay
5%
I have upgraded and there were minor upgrade problems but they were fixed by e.g. rebooting
3%
I have upgraded and there were serious problems with the upgrade process but they are now fixed
4%
I have upgraded and there were serious problems with the upgrade process and I am still trying to fix them
6%
I have upgraded and the process failed, rollback worked flawlessly
3%
I have upgraded and the process failed, rollback failed, my machine is in the bin
3%

Total votes: 98

RELATED
PRODUCTS

MFXxx wrote: Going to test blocking some domains later but not sure if I am overly conerned :
http://www.techamok.com/?pid=16165#.VcaH4vnzngA
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... pying.html
Tested this app [backed up the system before install]

This appears to be blocking a lot more than MS checks, includes google ad links, inbuilt adverts when you may try to view certain online media channels. Actually an eye opener.
So for example doa search in google for an item, when selecting the search result there's a huge string that precedes the http: webs ite result and does not load. So does mean you have to delete or extract the actual http website address in the title bar:

EG

ssd drive. click on the [ad] result link in the top of google get
http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/ ... D%26pmt%3D

need to copy/paste or extract the
http://www.ebuyer.com/581256-ssdnow-v30 ... D%26pmt%3D

for link to work

My Asus 1005PE works great with Windows 10,It's a 5 year old 450N Atom.I didn't install any old drivers even no chipset drivers because i wanted to see how Win 10 is supporting this device and it does.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I had no problems with the upgrade.

All my USB-Hardware (ESI ESU-1808, motu midi express 128, Beatstep and Alesis QX49) is working fine, so far.
Ableton is also running as before.

pljones wrote:My trials with PerfectDisk continue, so I've downgraded my vote. I do a weekly defrag with boot time defrag. It seems the boot time defrag is known to upset Win10 -- there's specifically a boot time message to ignore the recovery screen. Sadly, Win10 does not let you "ignore" the screen. And I'd rather like not to have to be in attendance to do the system recovery that was needed to get the system recovered... We'll see what they're support people say: they're usually good. I just get the feeling they needed to do more testing before Win10 with this release than they've given it.
After some highly responsive support sessions, PerfectDisk now appears to be running perfectly. Admittedly, it appears the fix was the software equivalent of "turn it off and on" (uninstall, deep cleanse, reinstall)... but I'm happy and remain impressed with Raxco support, especially given how little they charge for the software.

Win 8.1 Laptop is right in the middle of the Win 10 update process....wish me luck. It's not a mission critical machine so if everything goes tits up I can just roll back to the restore point.

I'll post back here any positive or negative experiences I have with Win 10......... :)

EDIT: Ok upgrade took quite awhile partly because of BitDefender's upgrade and partly because it took awhile to get the right reg hack to remove desktop icon arrows but I think everything is working fine now.

Don't notice much performance change yet....if anything it seems a bit sluggish but that might just be stuff upgrading in the background.

EDIT 2: God Win 10 is ugly. The hacks you have to do just get rid of the blinding white Windows Title Bars are insane. Why would MS think that making it almost impossible to customize the latest version of Windows was a good idea ? :roll:

EDIT 3: Ok I've gone through the steps to get colored window title bars. You have to make a copy of the aero theme, change a line of code etc etc..........

Anyway I've knocked some of the ugly off but so far my impression of Win 10 is.............. :zzz: :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Avid has not yet released W10 drivers for the (M-Audio) Fast Track Pro, and users have reported serious issues in W10 when trying to use older drivers.

Stuck on W7 until this gets addressed by Avid. Latest word from them is from September, when they told someone that they "are running compatibility tests".

While on 8.1 I was occasionally getting blue screens and my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface wouldn't always initiate. In the end I figured out it was the interface that was causing the problem.

After installing 10 on top of 8.1 the blue screens started happening every hour but would disappear when I disconnected the interface.
I was pretty much resigned to the fact I would have to get a different interface if NI didn't bring out new drivers.
So as a last ditch attempt I re-installed windows 10 this time doing a totally clean install removing any trace of 8.1.
Sure enough the problem disappeared and I haven't got one blue screen since which is two weeks ago now.
So it seems that it was some dodgy 8.1 code causing the issue.

With classic menu installed I can now say that I almost like 10 as much as 7. :tu:
Last edited by lotus2035 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Win 8.1 is kinda weird compared to 10. They only just achieved the fusion of classic applications, and the Metro/Universal apps with Windows 10, Windows 8 was a failed mixture of desktop and mobile touch screen device operation. It's nice to have a more or less classic start menu back too. And to be able to handle universal apps like any other app, windowed, so you don't have to switch from desktop to full screen the whole time is a big plus too. Now i wished that MS would improve their app store, and make it a real competition to Google Play or iTunes, and also make it a bit more obvious that you can install many Windows Mobile apps too now on the desktop, and Overall pinch the user a bit more towards what a modern Windows is about really. It's all a bit shy, and then they overwhelm the user with dozens of security and privacy concerning EULA's and warnings, so people get scared off of most things. Cortana e.g. Jeez, after reading all that stuff i couldn't at all be arsed anymore to use it. Might give it a try though, it seems pretty cool tbh.

I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 yesterday. I was suprised that everything worked flawlessly regarding the upgrade. Did some quick testing and found that most of my Plugins worked except some using jbridge. But i guess i can live without my old Pro-53. FruityLoops was fine, but i soon discovered crashes with Cubase 8. Had almost no crashes in Win 8. Live refused to work with Sonic Cores ASIO driver (could not find the ASIO driver) and Reason 6.5 wouldnt start at all. (i have to many DAWs). I guess that the problem is my soundcard which is a combination of Creamwares Pulsar 1 and 2. I am surprised that almost 14 years old soundcards keep working under Win 10. Didnt expect them to. But since i wasnt able to use Ableton with Sonic Cores ASIO driver (the multimedia driver worked without problems, and the NI KORE ASIO driver was working as well) i "downgraded" to Win 8 again. Took less than 5 minutes and worked without any peroblems. Its sad because i like Win 10 more than i like Win 8, but i am going to survive without the startmenu. I will try again in a few months.
My system: Mainboard ASUS Z87K, Intel 4790K CPU, 32gig RAM, Creamware Pulsar 1and 2, no graphic card.

Did you try to uninstall and reinstall both your sound card drivers, and DAW's to see if it works then?

Btw, @ the poll, what is an "alternative shell"?

@chk071. Hi, i guess you mean me. Yes of course i did. I deinstalled and reinstalled both Ableton and Sonic Core, but it was the same problem. As i said. I dont blame Win 10. Creamware drivers and soudncards have always been a little on the picky side when it comes to system configuration. When the cards break (i am surprised they are still working) i ll get RME and go for Win 10 again.

@blaubär, maybe a clean install of windows 10 will help. See my post two above yours.

Hi Lotus2035. I guess i could do this but that would mean i have to invest several hours isntalling all those little pieces of software again, and Komplete 8 alone takes hours of isntalling, not to mention the updates via service center, the ilok and elicenser drivers,and i would either lose my noe perfectly working system or i would have to buy a new SSD just for the purpose of checking. When i have a few bucks left i might try that.
My system is fine as it is and it is only the non existing startmenu and the upgrade nag screen which is bothering me. So, i have no need to upgrade just now (though i have nothing against it)

blaubär wrote:Hi Lotus2035. I guess i could do this but that would mean i have to invest several hours isntalling all those little pieces of software again, and Komplete 8 alone takes hours of isntalling, not to mention the updates via service center, the ilok and elicenser drivers,and i would either lose my noe perfectly working system or i would have to buy a new SSD just for the purpose of checking. When i have a few bucks left i might try that.
My system is fine as it is and it is only the non existing startmenu and the upgrade nag screen which is bothering me. So, i have no need to upgrade just now (though i have nothing against it)

I hear ya, it is a pain installing everything again. A clean install might fix your problems, but if 8 works for you then whats the rush like you said. :)

After a bit over 4 months of Windows 10 on my Audio PC, I can say it is working as intended and is stable here. Running i5 4690, 16GB of DDR3, and an Nvidia 950 on Win10 64bit Home with Cubase Artist 8 as host.

But there is nothing ..and I mean absolutely nothing.. that I like in it over Windows 7 for my uses. But it works and is there already so I'm not going through the hassle of downgrading.

I think win7 hit the point where the OS became 'good enough' and there haven't been any great updates since nor I think will be.. beyond maybe driver support and security updates in the future.

The OS has plateaued and MS is trying to make it more appealing to stay relevant in that business... they saw the market for smartphones (and thus the new OSes) take off ($$$) and thought they'd instill some 'life' ($$$) into the desktop OS by leaning on this bend in the market. :shrug: at least my thoughts on it.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”