Happy 20th Windows 95

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

'95 was a vintage year for computing for sure.

Pentium processors got common usage, E-mail communication taking off, and Windows '95 got released (20 years ago this week)

:party:

Win 95 was gone before I got my 1st ever computer, which came with Win 98...that must have been 15/16 or so year ago...?

Heh, I remember literally jumping for joy that I could have long file names... simpler times indeed!
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I knew before clicking that this is a Numanoid thread. :D

Much of the software was still for DOS.. be it games or trackers. And Win95 was crash happy whereas DOS was rock solid.

I do NOT miss the days of jumper pins and IRQ conflicts.

VitaminD wrote:Much of the software was still for DOS.. be it games or trackers. And Win95 was crash happy whereas DOS was rock solid.

I do NOT miss the days of jumper pins and IRQ conflicts.
:tu:

Happy to report my Twelvetone Systems Cakewalk 3 transitioned glitch free to win 95.

I had Windows 95B and I was able to install some Windows 98 stuff into it without problems.

I remember when Windows 98 SE came out, there was some contention that Microsoft was going to start integrating too much internet/web functionality directly into the desktop. Although that did happen, Windows XP SP2 was pretty stable and you didn't have to do all the Cubase/Cubasis optimizations (but a whole bunch of other DAW optimizations instead). I do remember reading a book about IRQ's and that really helped me to set up a stable system via the BIOS.

I actually kind of miss the Windows 9x days. There was some good freewares made during those times like Tuareg by brambos.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Numanoid wrote:'95 was a vintage year for computing for sure.

Pentium processors got common usage, E-mail communication taking off, and Windows '95 got released (20 years ago this week)
I started at IBM end-user support in '94. We were on the "front lines" of fielding Windows 95 issues from people who didn't know why WordPerfect wasn't so "perfect" under Windows 95. (We told them it was a Microsoft plot to destroy WordPerfect. And unless any of you can prove otherwise, it's the truth.)

Cakewalk Audio 9 was...usable for me in Windows 95B. I finally got a chance to start adding audio samples to tunes!

Good times...good times....

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Because of their myriad problems, I was very happy to avoid the Win95 editions, and stay on Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (along with Win32s and WinG) until Win98SE was released.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”