win7 updates ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Daags wrote:
chk071 wrote:It's rather because they're busy, because they're about to release a big update for Windows 10 in october, or november. What exactly do you expect in Windows 7 updates anyway? If it's working fine, and there are no major security issues, you should be good to roll, right? They're very unlikely to abandon it, so it's probably just a period of less updates, than no updates at all. :) If then Win 10 users should be pissed off, because there are really quite a few niggles with it, which need patching.
what exactly are you expecting from your contribution in this thread ? the purpose of the thread is very simple.. if others are having trouble or not. joining to say shit like 'why bother updating anyway, what do you expect' blah blah ... is useless noise at best, idle trolling at worst.
You da man, homie.

Daags wrote;
had some issues with one of the machines I was updating, long story short I need to install the updates again and I'm back to square one... 'checking for updates' progress bar looping for what seems like forever.
That was my experience as well. When the update progress bar was searching, I noted a running process .exe maybe called wininstallmodule.exe. This process was peaking my meager kitchen laptop CPU non-stop. I went to run/msconfig/[tab-services]/Windows Modules Installer and unchecked it turning it off permanently. That was not enough. Had to turn off all updates unless I wanted to update...by turning on full auto-update.

Then after seeing the message 'installing updates 1 - 8' in every shut down screen, I looked at my update history page to see it was installing those same updates every time I shut down.
Turning off updates fixed that.

I turned on full auto-updates today and shut down twice. I don`t see any activity in the system nor any updates installed. Good. Leaving it on for now.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

I think Win 10 was cancelled, at least the first draft was really bad. Any update slows down your computer, they've never put in the effort to purposely avoid that.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Update! :hihi:
Have had auto-update on for the last 4 days and yesterday win7 told me updates were prepared to be installed upon shutting down.
I think "GREAT!" but nah, not great. The same 8 updates from 9/7/15 and 9/5/15 and so on were installed AGAIN! Look at the pix;

WTF ! :scared: :cry:

Look what it says in my Windows Update:

Most recent check for updates: Never
Updates were installed: Never

:?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Any other more specific feedback?

annode wrote:Update! :hihi:
Have had auto-update on for the last 4 days and yesterday win7 told me updates were prepared to be installed upon shutting down.
I think "GREAT!" but nah, not great. The same 8 updates from 9/7/15 and 9/5/15 and so on were installed AGAIN! Look at the pix;

You mentioned that you killed services and deleted some data. This dup/repair is likely a result of that.

Pete
Pete Brown - Microsoft
@pete_brown | soundclound.com/psychlist1972

Psychlist1972 wrote:
annode wrote:Update! :hihi:

You mentioned that you killed services and deleted some data. This dup/repair is likely a result of that.

Pete
+1 I bet some of the people unable to update have done tweaks by turning off services.

Can you elaborate? I'd be interested in knowing what services may be turned off and how to turn them back on.

Addressing all those above responses;
...Taking into consideration that turning off some service caused my LATEST update install problem, I turned on service 'windows module installer' again after turning it off since when running after startup it peaked my CPU and held it there.
After reboot, it has not started running yet.

I did notice something today. In my above 'update history' list, I see now that those 'modules' are what seem to be what updates have been dloaded waiting to be installed and NOT what have been installed!

There is a link at page top taking you to another page showing what HAD been installed, and for me, that page is empty!(correction:didn`t wait long enough for page to populate)
This new info brings me to believe that the system has dloaded updates, but since I turned off the module installer service they don`t get installed. Now, when the system searches for new updates it compares what has been installed to what is available, and dloads the same group of 'update modules',possibly overwriting the previous group.

This is my theory. Strange though...each time, I would see "Updates 1 - 8 Are Being Installed" on the win shut down page. This led me to believe they were being installed. Don`t believe everything you read. haha.
I will also turn 'auto update' back on and wait to see what happens. (have updates set to 'never' @ the moment)

EDIT - also just noticed the the dates in the 'update history' page are under the heading 'Installed'. Jeez :roll:

Any other thoughts on this?
Last edited by annode on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annode wrote:...

Any other thoughts on this?
Dear Microsoft,

:smack:

Regards,

UPDATE;

After reboot, now I see a service, svchost, in the task manager is pulling over 90% of my CPU.
Right clicking on it and choosing 'go to services' takes me to the services list and highlights those services in the running group ['netsrvcs'] under the running svchost.exe. That group includes 'Windows Update'.
If you would go to the win updates page from your Control Panel and hit the Update button, these same processes would run...and as the OP and some others here have stated, this pegs their CPU.

Now we are at square one again. :cry:

The only way to know which services affect this are to put them all back at default state. Thats not easy unless you noted exactly what you changed. Any or all tweaks/changes can cause this kind of thing. You may not be able to fix it easily if its got into an unknown state now.

Ok...After about an hour with the win update running and pegging my CPU it stopped and told me it had 22 important updates selected @ 119.0MB.
They did not show as installed in update history or installed updates. Good. :)
Going to page "Updates to Install"(shown below) it showed the 22 mentioned , but also another 8 as optional. I went to Microsoft knowledge Base and searched the 1st 2 KB modules to find the 8 are for win10. Stay clear of those! The second one installs that little win10 nag icon in your quick start.
Windows Knowledge Base;
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/sea ... indows%207

Soon after all this, the win update service started again and pegged my CPU.
I stopped the service to see Firefox is sucking up 80+ of CPU. That was a Mozilla popup asking if I want to know how to deal with win updates in win7. It looked like spam so I closed it. Firefox calmed down.

Will install the 22 updates manually.(rebooting didn`t install them even though win7 said it was going to do so. Those 22 are also selected to be installed.(checked...but not expanded in above pix)

So...problem still exists apparently. The update services run and peg CPU whether you are fully updated or not... it seems...will need more time to see what`s up.

EDIT - The above mention that the Update service started again turned out to be that the 4 updates that failed...failed to dload...so the Update had to run again in order to try to dload successfully. They were later installed successfully and the Update service then later ran for 4 mins...didn`t find any updates, then stopped.
Last edited by annode on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the links. They may come in handy. :tu:

I can't wait for the end of this story. The part where we all live happily ever after. :help:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”