win7 updates ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UltraJv wrote:The only way to know which services affect this are to put them all back at default state. Thats not easy unless you noted exactly what you changed. Any or all tweaks/changes can cause this kind of thing. You may not be able to fix it easily if its got into an unknown state now.
Good advice for sure. I didn`t change many things in this PC. It`s only my kitchen laptop...not my music or entertainment PC...thanking my lucky stars. haha

Let`s see...@ reboot 18 of the 22 updates I had selected to install, installed. It took 2 hrs! ha.(the remaining 4 of 22 failed to install)
So far, Trusted Installer / Windows Modular Installer service ran at 90% CPU for 3 mins or so and stopped.Good. Sounds normal so far.
If anything changes, i`ll post it. maybe the update problem is gone?

Considering all this new info, it may have been that there was no actual software prob. It may have been that the Update service just takes too much CPU and way too long to finish.

...and we all lived happily ever after...the end. :party:
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Back again. Finally making some progress. I'm even being offered Windows 10 in the Windows Update application. This is a first. I decided to hide this update as I just want to make music on my Windows 7. As far as I can make out, it's this bloomin Windows 10 scenario that fecked up my computer in the first place.

Anyway, for a long time I was getting this ... installing updates ... followed by ... reverting changes ... everytime I started my windows 7 computer. I looked at videos on youtube, followed help topics on forums, installed every Mr Fixit known to Microsoft etc, etc.

But today I installed the free version of 'Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free'.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/wi ... n_one.html

It deleted a few bad entries on my system and reset a lot of other items. I mean a lot of other items. When it was done I turned off UAC, restarted, and was able to run Windows Update and install 12 of 13 updates. The 13th had to be manually downloaded from Microsoft and installed manually.

Well everything seems to be more or less back to normal for me now. Just thought I'd pass on the news. Maybe it will work for you as well if you're still having problems.

Meantime I just need to figure out how to remove a few UAC Icon Overlays (Blue-Yellow Shields) that have been added to some desktop shortcuts and that's it as far as I can tell. I'm delighted that something finally worked. :wheee:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

All this becomes more than just academic as one attempts to install Presonus Studio One 3 on Windows 7 Pro. (Actually, on any version of Windows.) Even with service pack 1 (SP1) installed, SO3 install launcher balked and stopped cold ... complaining Windows 7 wasn't updated.

It is foolish to leave a DAW connected 24/7 to the Internet (one would have to put all sorts of CPU and RAM wasting stuff on it, like virus protection). So even though I downloaded and applied service pack 1 from Microsoft, SO3 insisted that it required Windows 7 to be updated.

Took 4 1/2 hour on an extremely fast Internet connection.

After installing SO3, I made an image of the C: and D: drives so never to have to do that again. SO3 requires being connected to the Internet so much that another benefit of making an image is for the ability to replace Windows 7 should it ever start acting up. (Check out this video for further tweaks: https://youtu.be/NQJvquLI2OQ)

(What? You don't save images of your boot and application drives? Then use DriveImage XML. Its free, and use compression with file segmenting set to 1.93Gb and all the segments of the backup will fit onto a few DVD-R. My boot partition is too big, you say? Windows 7 Pro installs into 50GB, and once done you use a hard drive utility to shrink C: down to a footprint of about 20 GB ... you have to leave a few GBs empty. [https://youtu.be/Hec1wCzlh64] And of course, you should install any application into a separate applications partition ... of, say, about 10 GB. Do it NOW! https://youtu.be/Q8LpEz8IUc4)
Al

I've decided to leave the UAC Icon Overlays alone. I get why they're there now and how useful they can be.

My system is working just fine today. That 'Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free' made a great job of it.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm struggling through this as well. I'd just suffered mightily through a Win7/Lubuntu dual-boot mess. I started over (as best I can without an install disc) with a factory reset, and now I've (literally) over a hundred updates to plow through.

First, with auto update on, it took hours and hours to download (about five hours), then another two and a half to install the updates. Then after all that, it failed and thus reverted the changes. Joy.

I was experiencing another issue as well and after some searching discovered the two were related. Ran some Fixits and even a command script and it took care of the issue.
However, updates are still taking forever. Heck, even selecting a single update of only a few hundred kb will take 30 mins to download and install, if it even works. Why?
So, yeah...I'm having to select a few at a time, wait for far-too-long, then hope they take effect.

Still better than Linux, though.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

MachFront wrote;
Then after all that, it failed and thus reverted the changes. Joy. Heck, even selecting a single update of only a few hundred kb will take 30 mins to download and install, if it even works. Why?
Yep, was the same for me. Although i`m not getting failed dloads.
If your not getting a big CPU hit when dloading, what`s the difference how long it takes. It`s all in the background...no?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:If your not getting a big CPU hit when dloading, what`s the difference how long it takes. It`s all in the background...no?
Honestly I hadn't thought of checking that til I read your earlier post. I'm planning on checking later tonight.
But, yeah, I suppose it doesn't matter...but it's somehow still incredibly annoying to me.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

annode wrote:MachFront wrote;
Then after all that, it failed and thus reverted the changes. Joy. Heck, even selecting a single update of only a few hundred kb will take 30 mins to download and install, if it even works. Why?
Yep, was the same for me. Although i`m not getting failed dloads.
If your not getting a big CPU hit when dloading, what`s the difference how long it takes. It`s all in the background...no?

because security.

Uh, now I get it. Microsoft is installing Windows 10 during the update process. Huhhh? Yup. That's right.
How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically
http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to- ... matically/
Al

almound wrote:Even with service pack 1 (SP1) installed, SO3 install launcher balked and stopped cold ... complaining Windows 7 wasn't updated.
EDIT: Heh an old thread but someone is still going to need this info:
I only demoed Studio One so I´m not sure if I remember correctly, but SO3 needs SP1 and also a Platform Update. Search for a KB number, it´s about 10MB file for 64bit systems.

sonicpowa wrote:
almound wrote:Even with service pack 1 (SP1) installed, SO3 install launcher balked and stopped cold ... complaining Windows 7 wasn't updated.
EDIT: Heh an old thread but someone is still going to need this info:
I only demoed Studio One so I´m not sure if I remember correctly, but SO3 needs SP1 and also a Platform Update. Search for a KB number, it´s about 10MB file for 64bit systems.
KB2670838

Edit; Heres the direct link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670838

Link because if you google search it, you might not want to install it, lol.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”