How Do I Install Win8 32 bit On a Win8 64 bit machine?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a new machine that has Windows 8 64 bit on it. I need to take off Windows 8 64 bit and replace it with Windows 8 32 bit. I have a new, Windows 8 32 bit DVD. How do I completely erase what is on my hard drive now and load the 32 bit version on the hd instead.

Also. The machine does not have a built in optical drive, so I'll be using an external USB optical drive for the Windows installation disc.

Thanks.

Carpenter wrote:I have a new machine that has Windows 8 64 bit on it. I need to take off Windows 8 64 bit and replace it with Windows 8 32 bit. I have a new, Windows 8 32 bit DVD. How do I completely erase what is on my hard drive now and load the 32 bit version on the hd instead.

Also. The machine does not have a built in optical drive, so I'll be using an external USB optical drive for the Windows installation disc.

Thanks.
Why do you "need" to do this? It's going to be a LOT of work.

Most 32-bit DAWs will run fine in a 64-bit OS like Windows 8.1. And the 32-bit DAW will load the 32-bit plug-ins. It just won't be able to access all the RAM available to Windows.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I have a bunch of IK Multimedia plugins that are only 32 bit. I've tried and tried and tried to get them working on a 64 bit machine. Even using a 32 bit DAW on a 64 bit machine, they do not work. Everybody says they should, but they don't. I've ONLY ever had them work when I am running a 32 bit OS. I do this ONLY for those plugins, but in the past I've always installed a new, blank HD and installed a 32 bit version of Windows on that. I've never tried doing it with a drive that already has stuff on it.

I'd rather start a thread here, describing the problem you have with the IK plugins than install Windows 8 32-bit. Believe me, they not only should work, they DEFINITELY should work. :) There's gotta be something else which is weird.

They don't work. They are never recognized by either Cubase 32 bit or Studio One 32 bit. I think the IK stuff is coded especially f**ked up because no matter what I do, I've NEVER been able to get them to work. I once got Cubase to recognize SampleTank, but when it went to load it, it would say "registry error". I can get them to run as stand alone applications on a 64 bit OS, but I can't get them to run as a VST plugin no matter what I do.

I would first un-install the plugs and then install again.

You may want to try deleting the plugin blacklist in Cubase and S1 and rescan.

I'd exhaust all before downgrading your OS. Big mistake as others have stated.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Yep. And if nothing helps, contact IK, if then, it is a support case. Did you maybe install the IK plugins in a funky location like in a VST folder located in C://ProgramFiles, or C://ProgramFiles (x86), and you have a normal, non admin user account in Windows?

Did you install the plugins as administrator?

sjm wrote:Did you install the plugins as administrator?

I don't know what you mean by this. How do I install them as administrator?

Carpenter wrote:

If the plug-in has an installer executable ("install.exe" or "setup.exe"), right-click on that, and you should see an option to "Run as Administrator".

This will take advantage of special "permissions" you might need when installing the software in order to get it to work properly later.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
Carpenter wrote:

If the plug-in has an installer executable ("install.exe" or "setup.exe"), right-click on that, and you should see an option to "Run as Administrator".

This will take advantage of special "permissions" you might need when installing the software in order to get it to work properly later.

Steve

Yeah. I've done that and still nothing happens. I just reinstalled 32 bit Cubase and the IK plugs and Cubase refuses to acknowledge them. The IK stuff still fails to show up in Cubase.

I used ST2 32bit on Windows 7 64 bit... maybe it is a Windows 8 issue.. it is for sure not a 64-bit OS issue though.

Windows 8 might also default to a different directory for some of their software vs older versions of Windows. So maybe it is just not pointing to the correct folder.

Check permissions like others mentioned.. then check to ensure the dll files to the IKM VST plugins are in the place your audio host expects them to be located.

Yes is cubase pointing to the folder the IKM dlls are located? It sounds like Cubase is not setup correctly to see them..

VitaminD wrote:I used ST2 32bit on Windows 7 64 bit... maybe it is a Windows 8 issue.. it is for sure not a 64-bit OS issue though.

Windows 8 might also default to a different directory for some of their software vs older versions of Windows. So maybe it is just not pointing to the correct folder.

Check permissions like others mentioned.. then check to ensure the dll files to the IKM VST plugins are in the place your audio host expects them to be located.

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say "check permissions". What permissions, and how do I check them. I have no idea how to tell Cubase where to look.

Go to Device > Plug-in Information and click the VST 2.x Plugin Path button. Then click the Add button and select the folder your VST plugin is installed to. Press OK, then click the Update button.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”