Which cpu is faster?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My old one (5 years)
Untitled.jpg
Or this one

IntelR i3-6100U [6th Generation IntelR Core™ i3-6100U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.30 GHz)]

I'm searching for a new laptop as a secondary production tool that is portable. Among these on this page -- which has best value for money or alternatively can you suggest something under 590$

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-75 ... ?ref=PD_OC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

:D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

If you really want to know, the answer is - it depends. The newer i3 will be quite a bit faster on single threaded applications. However, even though your old CPU is about the half the processing power per core of the newer i3, it has twice as many cores. I wouldn't expect a big jump in performance from the CPU alone.

You can find a lot of benchmarks on CPU review sites that will confirm this.

A quick check of my local electronics stores website shows several Inspiron models with i5 or i7 for under $600. I would pass on the i3.

i3 is to music computer as a corpse is to a freeway (even with traffic)

I will look for the i5 and i7 then, thanks.. Of them, how much faster are they compared to my older one? :D

TTU Youtube

Get an i7 with an SSD ... it'll fly. I just did :tu:

An i7 might be out of his budget but maybe an i5 could be within reach.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:An i7 might be out of his budget but maybe an i5 could be within reach.
Could be ... I think even an SSD is too expensive. :dog:

I would rather go for a used highspec of yesteryear's make than a new i3/i5... That would be my choice though... Built a desktop quite recently real cheap. I7 3930k, it's a rocket.

Mmh... some i3's are faster than some i5's, and some i5's are faster than some i7's... to add to the confusion. :) The problem with comparing older CPU's to newer CPU's is the lack of benchmark comparison. Noone will compare old stuff to new stuff, so you never know. FWIW, i'm pretty surprised about the performance of my cheapo notebooks i3 CPU. Can even play more modest 3D games on it, which is more than i expected. But then, i have no idea how it is with a DAW project with a lot of tracks. If you want to go safe, spend more money.

chk071 wrote:Mmh... some i3's are faster than some i5's, and some i5's are faster than some i7's... to add to the confusion. :)
Yes, and it depends on what you use it for and if the programs is multithreaded, multicore and multiples of other variables. But one thing's for certain: this brooklyn east IPA tastes good atm imho

chk071 wrote:...The problem with comparing older CPU's to newer CPU's is the lack of benchmark comparison. Noone will compare old stuff to new stuff, so you never know.
Try this site. It has benchmarks for many old CPU's. It's not a head to head comparison but they use the same benchmark app to generate a performance score.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks

Budget aside, NOTHING is worth getting an i3. Sorry, find another alternative. Though you'll get the occasional yahoo that will say "oh, I can run 678 tracks all with VCC and VMR on them dodo, generally people have said "nope, no go running anything" with an i3.

I'm not the worlds greatest expert with architecture, but I'm pretty sure there are some fatal flaws with how an i3 handles things that make it nearly useless for daw work. Check into it.

Hi guys. I'm thinking of buying this today. How does it compare to my older one? Thoughts?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-75 ... 568-laptop

TTU Youtube

Ciberithm wrote:
chk071 wrote:...The problem with comparing older CPU's to newer CPU's is the lack of benchmark comparison. Noone will compare old stuff to new stuff, so you never know.
Try this site. It has benchmarks for many old CPU's. It's not a head to head comparison but they use the same benchmark app to generate a performance score.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks
Great, thanks for the link, that's really helpful. :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”