Utilizing a second computer

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, i just built a new 6 Core i7 5820K computer and i also have an i7 860 based. The 860 will be collecting
dust most likely or go to garbage...how can i utilize that computer with Cubase and Plugins? Is there a way?

Here are the systems now:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window Edition (with 3 Fans)
MOBO: ASUS SaberTooth X99 USB 3.1
GFX: ASUS GTX 960 Strix OC Edition 2GB
CPU: Intel I7 5820K
RAM: 4x8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series, PC4 21300
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (1Fan)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 650
Storage:
1. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
2. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
3. SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D
4. WD BLACK SERIES 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
CD/DVD/BD: LG Black 16X

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower,
CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz,
MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0,
GFX: MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5,
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB 1600 (PC3 12800),
CPU HS: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler,
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3,
Studio-HDD: WD Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s,
Data-HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5",
OS-HDD: WD Green 320GB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s,
ODD: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner AD-7261S-0B LightScribe,

Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Take a look at Vienna Ensemble Pro. It will allow you to host plugins on another PC on a network. There is a client piece that goes on your main DAW to make the workflow pretty much seamless. It is about $250 though. The other option is to sync them via MIDI, and then connect the audio out of the old machine to audio in of the other and use it that way. I do that when two people want to work together and not have to share the mouse and keyboard.

The last thing to consider is, are you going to be able to crush that new computer with too many tracks or plugs? :) If the answer is yes, then I would go with my first suggestion, VE Pro5. It comes with a license for three computers, so you could always add a third one in the future.

You could dedicate the oldy to rackmount synths, and mini midi controllers
that bundle sounds/software collections, Arturia has a $99 model with 6000 sounds,
korg has a $250 dollar model with a romplered basic Triton soundset.
Black Friday/cyber-monday are hulking their way towards our wallets!

Racksynths are pretty common, patience and luck yield bargains.
You're under no time constraints, so you can maximise the use that line-out 8)
Cheers

never throw away a computer. the metals inside computers cause ground water contaminations which affects the drinking water and can cause illnesses. also you can sell used computers or donate them to schools or libraries or charities. if you want, you can also experiment with an old computer by installing some friendly version of linux on it. that's if you choose not to use it yourself. if you google uses for used computers or computer refurbishing you'll find a lot of articles on the topic.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

never throw away a computer. the metals inside computers cause ground water contaminations which affects the drinking water and can cause illnesses. also you can sell used computers or donate them to schools or libraries or charities. if you want, you can also experiment with an old computer by installing some friendly version of linux on it. that's if you choose not to use it yourself. if you google uses for used computers or computer refurbishing you'll find a lot of articles on the topic.
I can tell you never lived near the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

You can donate your computer to less fortunate, or use it for the internet.

I was thinking of using the second machine with VSL VEPro...run some plugins on there.
I am not new to Networking but i am new to using Network as in Music. Using it simply as
raw power processing for some FX. I can get any software, that's not an issue.
But i do have some questions and guesses please if someone can clarify:

1. VEPro i know can be authorized on both machines but i will still need a monitor for that computer
after all is set up, right? It can not be just a blind machine turned on...as far as i understand.
2. VEPro on that machine will simply run in standalone, plugins will be opened in VEPro and my new
computer will just connect to them while them being processed by the old computer.
3. The plugins that i choose to run on that machine, i know they have to be installed there which means
based on the Activation/License method of the plugin some HAVE to be exclusive to that computer only
if there is no way to get 2 licenses for those plugins, to have them on both.
4. Can i have 2 iLoks and 2 eLicensers but not containing the same licenses because if i split the plugins
that way it will need 2 of each, lets say i need SS VCC on my old machine and EWQL on the other, both
run on iLok...i guess i can have 2 iLoks but not overlaping licenses.

And the most important question of all: Will the i7 860 System give me some real extra Juice?
The question it self is contradicting since i used that 860 for actually running everything in it and it was fine.

Thanks

1.) Yes, you will need a monitor for both computers. Or you could use a KVM switch. The monitor will be a better choice.

2.) Basically correct. You will install VEP5 on both machines; however, you will only need to burn a license for one, unless you want to run VEP5 on both machines. That "one" will be your slave machine (which will run VEP5). The other is the host DAW machine, which needs the VST dll's to connect the 2 machines. You insert the VST in to a track in your DAW and then connect to the slave.

Save your other 2 licenses for those future installs where you want to run VEP5.

3.) This could be very possible; although most modern VST's allow installs on 2 separate computers.

4.) You can have as many dongles as you desire and for as many ports as your computer will handle. Each dongle though will only carry the license for each software purchase.

In other words, if you have 2 EW licenses then you will want to put one on each dongle. The whole point of using dongles though is to be able to use them on multiple computers. You just can't use them simultaneously.

Again, in the case of VEP5, you will only need to use one of the 3 licenses in your proposed setup. If you want to run VEP5 on both machines then you need to install one license each to 2 dongles.

As for the final question, I believe you already answered it for your self. It will enhance your system to be able to take a load off the host system. But it's only going to be able to run what it can run. In a sense, then yes - it will give you some extra juice.

HTH
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thank you Dsan. I already ordered a KVM switch for now, its was 90$.
The reason is, i can afford another monitor but i already have 3, it
take a lot of space, this way i can just switch between them for now.
The good thing about VEP now is that they give you the Epic Orchestra free.
Even if i run only the REVERBS and some Tape Machines on the old machine
it will still free some Load of the new system.

Thanks again.

VE Pro will give you a real boost even on the same machine as the seq. host, because it is in its own process. And you can specify cores by instances of it.

If the goal is to use it as an FX rack for audio, this is a secondary consideration per its development, it's primary point is to connect it hosting instruments (and FX) and act as a mixer. I mean that the more outputs it sends to the host, the more inputs as 'Audio Input', the more resources are consumed; so, 'as a mixer' the better use of it is to (sub)mix to busses and 1 to 4 outputs back to the host rather than say 32, particularly with the added 'cost' of Audio Input. And the added cost of more instrument channels in Cubase. So with that expectation, like 32 out and 32 coming back, it could look to a person like it's not so much a boost. But in terms of the load of samples players and instruments plugged into for instance Cubase vs these in VE Pro, it's dramatic.

Janci, you raised another point now...we, Cubase 8 users know C8 has serious issues with performance.
You are saying now that if i Load the FX on the same machine into VEP instead of Cubase and then link
to Cubase in the same computer i will get better performance...thinking about it kinda makes sense if
VEP has no performance issues as Cubase does with the spikes...then you are right. Now i wonder, based
on my setups, which way would be better for me...of course staying on the same machine it would be
hell of a lot easier work wise...but i got my extra eLicenser and KVM switch already.
You can elaborate more if there is anything more to it.

Holy F$#K!!! This computer is Heaven...with like 60 instances of Nebula plus other stuff.

I know I replied in your Gearslutz post, but saw this. Although you may be able to run everything you need in one machine (or not?) you will always have the ability to completely offload a lot of resources from your machine machine, by using a 2nd machine...by whichever method one chooses to gang machines together, whether it's VEP, FX-teleport, VST System Link, audio/midi sound card networking, or synchronizing etc.

I personally find working with 3 machines (as I need them) to be very comfortable, but I've been doing it for a while now and used to the method. I'll be adding a fourth soon.

Here's an other option (that you may not like!): switch to Reaper, and use its Reamote feature. That way, you can distrubute your VSTs and VSTis on the two computers very easily. You can choose which VST will run on which computer. Of course that implies to use (and learn) Reaper instead of Cubase, but that's a move I made (not from Cubase but from Sonar) and I don't regret it at all. And it's very inexpensive too.

Here's some info about Reamote: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

Marc from Azura

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”