Please help me understand why cannot connect MIDI keyboard anymore

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear friends,
I had built a Windows 10 PC with Presonus Studio1 v3 and an Edirol PCR800 keyboard (managing to install the Vista driver for it).

All worked well unti, as my son relates, S1V3 crashed (i'd take this with a grain of salt since he's not really computer savvy BUT a great musician!) ;-)

From then S1V3 cannot connect to the keyboard anymore.

In Win10 I see the PCR device under the Device Manager and apparently it's ok.

I tried to delete and readd the keyb within S1V3, it's 3 interfaces appear in the dialog, but it always shows up as not connected.

What could I attempt to "debug" the situation ?

Any free utility to check if the keyb is ok and circumscribe the problem to S1V3 perhaps ?

Thanks in advance

Robert

Is the keyboard on a dedicated USB port? Many of these devices have problems if on a shared port, like a hub, for example.

Try unplugging the cable, wait for like a count of ten and plug it back in.

I recently had this with an APC40 in Live. Unplug/plugin solved it.

HTH
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

It's good luck to have a couple free daw's installed, like Podium and MUlab,
to act as reality checks, and knowing the basics of a few daw's,
can future-proof you against a regression, that hits at a bad moment.

As well as keep you on your toes, pondering alternate ways to accomplish
a singular task, and if lucky, find a better way sometimes.
Cheers

dsan@mail.com wrote:Is the keyboard on a dedicated USB port? Many of these devices have problems if on a shared port, like a hub, for example.

Try unplugging the cable, wait for like a count of ten and plug it back in.

I recently had this with an APC40 in Live. Unplug/plugin solved it.

HTH
dsan
Thanks. No the keyboard is connected to one of the PC's motherboard connectors (an Asus Z190 mobo). Tried changing the port to another but nothing changed.

The PCR device shows up in the device manager and its ports are to be found in S1V3 add external device dialog, but it does not change to "Connected".

Would the PCR show up in the add/remove USB external devices of Win10 ? Right now it does not, only the Babyface does.

Thanks.

glokraw wrote:It's good luck to have a couple free daw's installed, like Podium and MUlab,
to act as reality checks, and knowing the basics of a few daw's,
can future-proof you against a regression, that hits at a bad moment.
Very wise advice. Thanks we'll try that.

Why you don't use the drivers of Win 8.1 instead of Vista? Aren't they working in 10 anymore?

Update: No official Win10 support thats bad.. ..Anyway please check this as a few users confirmed it work:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/The-ultimate- ... 67234.aspx
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I haven't had to do it in a long time myself, but in the olden days (the early aughts at least), a buggy USB connection could sometimes be solved either by plugging something else into that port then replugging your device into that port, or plugging your device into another system then plugging it back into your computer. I'd often use my PS2's USB inputs to "reset" a shoddy USB video capture dealie when it bugged out on me (which was often). Of course the reason it bugged out all the time was due to a defective USB connection on the device; it eventually started causing major chaos on my system and was retired. Hopefully that's not the case here, but those darned USB connections are usually the first point of failure--hundreds of dollaridoos of our vital equipment left at the mercy of a few cents of plastic and soldering.

Of course it could be just a bad cable too. Try another cable and see what happens.

murnau wrote:Why you don't use the drivers of Win 8.1 instead of Vista? Aren't they working in 10 anymore?

Update: No official Win10 support thats bad.. ..Anyway please check this as a few users confirmed it work:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/The-ultimate- ... 67234.aspx
Hi there and thanks ! That is the page I followed to install and reinstall the drivers. Method 1 does not work, or at the very least I am not good enough to make it work because of the error I get when I run that batch file even as an administrator with something complaining about a trusted boot policy.

I therefore tried method 2 but it worked only with the Vista bundle, not 8.1 ... go guess.

Asking again: does the fact that I see the PCR device under the device manager mean anything about the driver working and being loaded ?

You should run the bat file if it warn you or want any kind of confirmation doesn't matter get on with it!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

From what I see in the pictures above, S1 is receiving from the PCR. It is not sending. Likely because in the setup you have not specified where to send data. Do you need to send the PCR data to another device?

The above screen shots indicate you have set up a MIDI Controller instead of a Keyboard (as far as I can remember when I used S1. I could be wrong.) This is very likely the problem.

Can you post a shot of the PCR setup screen?

Regarding
Asking again: does the fact that I see the PCR device under the device manager mean anything about the driver working and being loaded ?
According to Windows the device IS working correctly.

From what I see, if you are not getting data from the device into S1, then your routing is incorrect. But let's first change the device from a controller to a keyboard.

What is that first track, "Multi Instrument"? If memory serves you have that routed to receive from that device. Is this the PCR?

HTH
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”