New to Windows 10: advice for stopping updates, data collection, ads,etc

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:Again, if companies feel ike Windows 7 is deprecated, they won't support it anymore. "Feel like" meaning that they'll just wait for a OS not being widely used anymore, or supported with updates. Multi OS support means multi work, something you'd surely want to avoid as a company. New Cubase only supports MacOS 10.11, for example,and no support for Win Vista EVEN THOUGH it's still officially supported by Microsoft.

Anyway, everyone's gotta know. Just pointing out why it is in my eyes definitely a good "investment" to go with a modern OS the sooner the better.
I love how you're speaking on behalf of just "companies". This is seriously hilarious. You do realize how many critical medical systems still depend on IE6 for any level of compatibility at all, right?

You are simply patently wrong in your assumption of how the business world works. Beyond an entity that has yet to achieve any kind of critical-mass (i.e. not a startup/unicorn/bullshit-$2B-valuation-lala-land) businesses are in fact to an very extraordinary degree as reactive as they can possibly be while still supplying shareholders with money.

Related reading:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/24 ... pport.html
chk071 wrote:BTW, i don't consider the internet, or services in it "free for all". Why would a company give you an email adress for free, let's you use their web search for free, or use their messenger for free? It all comes at a price, and that is using your "personal" (where? in a public place like the internet?) data to personalize your ads in this case. And some, less serious companies, even will sell it to others, to make money with it. I doubt Microsoft will do that though, if they state in their EULA's that they will not. Yes, i know, "blue-eyed", and sheep trust, but, i don't believe things before i see, and face them. I'm neither into conspiracy theories, nor am i into spotting the enemy behind every corner.
For chrissakes this is silly.

You may have heard of open-source software before, no? GPLv3? Ring a bell?

And do you mean this EULA?
https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-p ... ta-abused/

To clarify, 3rd party means... well not Microsoft obviously. Look I don't know why you're taking the piss so very hard here but you should realize you're missing a pretty massive part of the picture.
chk071 wrote:In most cases, "think for a while" means "speculate about things you don't know". As i am a rational thinking person (at least i consider myself one), that kind of "thinking" isn't for me really. What i do know is that Google made a fortune with personalized ads, and Microsoft does the same, they even state that in their EULA's.
I almost missed this but wow there is so much wrong here. First (by definition) EULA's don't contain business directives or market strategies. Second, Google made a fortune with Adwords and Adsense (read - 89% of their revenue) which are search dependent. Not personalized. Even further Microsoft's ad revenue in 2016 was absolutely minuscule. If you look at Microsoft's own very easily viewable public financial statements, it wasn't even large enough for FY16 to define as its own segment (it's lumped into "More Personal Computing" shared with Microsoft's gaming division which you can bet took in more money than adrev).

http://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view ... 5138ddcac5

Look at Segment Revenue and OI

You have a lot of strong thoughts here, fine. That's great, really... but none of it is passing the litmus test of proper research (to any degree) or industry knowledge. You're drawing wild interpolations on assumptions that are either flat-out incorrect or at the least very misguided. This is pretty basic stuff and you're whiffing completely on some pretty easy throws here. You're bandying around the term EULA like it was an acronym for some kind of catch-all businessey-stuff ex facto master document when in reality it's just where a company tells you in carefully constructed legalese how it's going to leverage every single possible legal angle to prevent you from using what they are providing in a way they don't like. That's it. It's not even a Privacy Policy which is (at least in the US) a legally governed completely separate thing required when you collect personally identifiable information:
https://termsfeed.com/blog/privacy-poli ... onditions/
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

Thank you very much rifftrax.
Spot on.

I don't see myself as anything close to paranoid, but these days, too many people call you that if you just state the obvious and point out the things that in fact we DO know now.
It's no longer about "conspiracy theories" but about the best possible ways to deal with the mess we know exists in our personal life and work.

If you walk over a busy street, you look left and right and probably try to err on the side of caution.
You don't just step of the curb and think, hey, we have all those traffic rules and great cars, I'm sure I'm safe. ;-)

For me it's the application of "due diligence" towards the gear I work with and depend on.

And BTW. Microsoft actually does improve some of the raised points in their next bigger update.
But definitely not because of the people who accept whatever they get tossed into the feeding trough with just another happy grunt...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

You know, the internet is such a silly place. All the human aspects are either TOO present, or NOT present enough....or anything silly thing in between.

Anyways, I've followed nearly all non-hack advice with NO SUCCESS. If anyone else has had it, fine. If not, you understand how "we" feel. The other nonsense is....nonsense. There is simply no excuse for windows to be able to trojan-horse peoples computers to make SURE it updates to something you don't want, which has now been done so many times it's become normal.

chrisby wrote:To disable updates you can also go to "Services" in the control panel and change the "Windows Update" service to "Disabled". Then when you want to get updates just re-enable it and disable again once done. No more updates of any kind.

Absolutely right. This is all that you have to do. To stop ads, just get Ad Blocker. No problems and you can disable it on certain pages.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”