Hackintosh or Full Mac?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Daags wrote:my plan for building my hackintosh is simply to use the previous OS, not the current one. that should make for less unexpected OS update surprises - if any at all.

of course, i'm familiar with apple and their aggressive software and hardware upgrade policies, and how devs seem to sometimes be strong-armed into dropping support for 'older' ('old' in the apple sense of the word) OS's ... nevertheless, I'll build my hackintosh primarily focused on the last OS.

good idea bad idea ?
It just depends. You really need to choose what OS you want to run then match hardware to it. Most hardware post 2010 will run up to 10.8.5 but if you want newer you need to go with a z97 or x99 build. If you go that route there's absolutely no reason not to run 10.10.3 at least.
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

well, to confound things, I'm hoping to have a 10.6.8 install as well as a current OSX install.

When I built mine three years ago it was to run 10.6. And it did until just over a year ago. In my experience, the aggressive upgrade policies came from third-party vendors. In the end I was just missing out on too much by doggedly staying with 10.6. First it was NI, then Ableton. So eventually I had to jump ship.

Now I'm on Yosemite and although it'll never be as smooth sailing as 10.6 it's doing ok. On the plus side, I'm now able to run a fusion drive until I buy a big enough SSD to hold everything. I ran 10.11 when it came out and while I was impressed initially (coming from 10.9) there were a few bugs that were never addressed so I decided to leave the "bleeding edge" and go to 10.10. This should last me for another couple of years until the next "push".

To run 10.6 natively you can't go beyond SandyBridge. Anything newer requires a higher OS.
Last edited by sprnva on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daags wrote:well, to confound things, I'm hoping to have a 10.6.8 install as well as a current OSX install.
That will be a little tricky but I'm sure you could run 10.8.5 and 10.6.8 I'm just not sure how anything newer then 10.8.5 would act. Having said that this is really my first hackintosh so I'm speaking from limited knowledge.
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

hey 'Embark,
how's it going ?

is this still the final build you settled on ?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/theembark/saved/RwPCmG

Daags wrote:hey 'Embark,
how's it going ?

is this still the final build you settled on ?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/theembark/saved/RwPCmG
Hey Daags,

No I actually went for more cores.

My final build has the following:

EVGA SR-2 motherboard
2 x Xeon x5680 3.33ghz 12 total cores
Asus AMD strix 390x 8gb GPU
48gb Mushkin enhanced black line 2133
Apple wifi chip
Star tech FireWire card
Deep silence 6 case
250gb Samsung 850 ssd
1tb Samsung 850 ssd
750gb WD 7200 rpm
2 x 3tb glyph drives
3 x 4tb WD red drives

So far I've got Yosemite up with little issue. The biggest problem was some random freezes but it was the Hynix server memory I was trying to use. Had it in storage.

I changed the build because of a good deal I got on eBay on the sr-2 board. All in I'm around $2000 keep in mind I owned sone of the hard drives and the CPU coolers. Going to switch to liquid cooking at some time to make the machine silent. After I finish setting it up and optimizing I'll post some geek bench results.

Later I'll put my build together for you in pcpartpicker.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

Very nice! I'm happy you went with two cpu's for 12 cores...as this is what i am aiming for :D

1tb ssd...for sample libraries ?

looking forward to further updates and geekbench... and of course
theEmbark wrote: Later I'll put my build together for you in pcpartpicker.
sweet as a nut mate!

I was at the bank today laying the ground work for a 2k, 0% interest loan to be paid back over 12 months...
for a PC/Hackintosh build.

Daags wrote:Very nice! I'm happy you went with two cpu's for 12 cores...as this is what i am aiming for :D

1tb ssd...for sample libraries ?

looking forward to further updates and geekbench... and of course
theEmbark wrote: Later I'll put my build together for you in pcpartpicker.
sweet as a nut mate!

I was at the bank today laying the ground work for a 2k, 0% interest loan to be paid back over 12 months...
for a PC/Hackintosh build.
Yup can't have samples on a 7200 drive it drives me crazy :P.

Here's what I put together. Looks like partpicker doesn't really have most of these parts so I put them in manual. This build should be doable for around $2000 especially if video isn't super important and if you have some of the drives already. Just no that the SR-2 isn't considered an easy board for a hackintosh. Some of the more modern boards with UEFI are easier to load. That being said the fastest Geek Bench Scores I have seen are all on underclocked SR-2 boards. There's just nothing that compares to that board currently.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Thanks,
Kevin
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PwLNJx
Kevin DiGennaro

cheers Kevin

Interesting build, in terms of hard drives I'll probably go with 250gb ssd for os's, 1tb ssd for samples, 4tb hdd 7200 for recording...I see you've got about twice that amount of drives (though you said you had some already). but as far as the initial build costs go I don't want to devote too much on hard drives i can just add later. I am curious why you went with three sets of 4x4gb for the ram ? .. why not three sets of 2x8gb and leave space for more ? ...it's just cheaper to go with 4x4gb I take it ?

as far as the SR-2 goes...when you say it isn't an 'easy board' for a hackintosh, do you mean it will load OSX - but there's more work involved to get it up and running, or do you mean something else as well ?

thanks

A lot of the drives I have and I am also a graphics designer so I like to designate drives for projects etc.

The SR-2 has 12 RAM slots and supports triple channel up to 48GB of RAM max so all 4gb chips gets 48gb evenly spread across all 3 channels.

And yes it's a board that loads the OS but it has to run in what's called legacy mode (not sure how much you know about hackintosh). So manually you have to config it and setup your kext files. Which honestly isn't that difficult. It's just more difficult than UEFI.

There's also some controversy out there on whether you can run higher than 10.9.5 on the Sr-2 board. I bumped up to 10.10.5 just to try because my MacBook Pro is on it. So far so good but I still have a little work to do.

Unfortunately I'm not living where the machine is and right now don't have the ability to bring it back to the facility I'm living at so its a few hours here and there.

What I will tell you is to buy an apple wifi and Bluetooth chip with a pci adapter. It's saved me a ton of trouble. Also investigate your FireWire cards before buying one if you need FireWire.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:A lot of the drives I have and I am also a graphics designer so I like to designate drives for projects etc.

The SR-2 has 12 RAM slots and supports triple channel up to 48GB of RAM max so all 4gb chips gets 48gb evenly spread across all 3 channels.

And yes it's a board that loads the OS but it has to run in what's called legacy mode (not sure how much you know about hackintosh). So manually you have to config it and setup your kext files. Which honestly isn't that difficult. It's just more difficult than UEFI.

There's also some controversy out there on whether you can run higher than 10.9.5 on the Sr-2 board. I bumped up to 10.10.5 just to try because my MacBook Pro is on it. So far so good but I still have a little work to do.

Unfortunately I'm not living where the machine is and right now don't have the ability to bring it back to the facility I'm living at so its a few hours here and there.

What I will tell you is to buy an apple wifi and Bluetooth chip with a pci adapter. It's saved me a ton of trouble. Also investigate your FireWire cards before buying one if you need FireWire.

Best regards,
Kevin
Hello Kevin,

im glad that u got ur system run.
What is the status of ur project?

I've ordered a SR-2 as well, and im searchin for solutions to get yosemite and/or el capitan on it.
Could you provide me your drivers and settings? That would be just awesome! :-) which method do you use to get yosemite starting?

Thank you
When i get my stuff together i will try my best, bur it would be nice if you could help me as well! :-)

Hey Edin,

What are your specs? Most likely it's going to be slightly different then mine. I used clover as the boot loader. I'm still having some graphics issues so I ordered a new card but hopefully that will be the answer.

Post your specs and I'll see what I can do.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:Hey Edin,

What are your specs? Most likely it's going to be slightly different then mine. I used clover as the boot loader. I'm still having some graphics issues so I ordered a new card but hopefully that will be the answer.

Post your specs and I'll see what I can do.

Best regards,
Kevin
That was a quick reply. Often the people are just not answer on boards. So i tried!

My Specs are:

Mainboard: EVGA SR-2
CPU: 2x X5680s
GPU: EVGA 680 Hydro Copper 2 or 4gb im not sure
RAM: Kingston 48GB ECC
Enermax: 1200W
CPU COOLER: copperplates for watercoolingsystem
RAD: Extern 3x120mm
And the connectors for the watercooling and what i need - hope so.

Till here: i spend 500€ on Ebay, for the whole package...

HDD: Sata III - SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro or M.2 - with PCIe Adapter from Amazon.

Ah Jeah an everything is cooled by copperplates and water. The copperplater for the mainboard i just asked for a offer on the evga forums.
Im a student and my budget ist rly low, so i have to overclock to get a great performance for video-editing, cutting and grading in 4K.

Now im ordering or waiting for response.

- A PCIE WIFI-Card (ABWB 802,11 AC WI-FI + Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express) from amazon, they say its perfect for Hackintosh's with a build-in Bluetooth-Adapter.
- Furthermore i want a PCIe M.2 Samsung 950 or for the beginning a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD for Sata III.

What do you think? :-)

U got Graphic Issues, but you are booting and starting it with supported USB 3.0 and SATA running? Sounds great. Maybe u will get your system run perfect with the new ordered card. which one do you ordered?
Do you give el capitan a try in the future?

Maybe we can get together thru that problems. I think that performance of that board ist rly great. We should use it.

Thanks
Edin

Hey Edin,

The performance of working at-2 builds actually makes for some of the highest benchmarked machines I've seen.

Your hardware looks fine except id probably go with a Broadcom card that will work out of box. Here's what I'm using http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-BCM943602 ... 5681c6f0b6
Only problem with the card is I haven't gotten it to work in my windows environment yet.

My graphics issues are causing freezes every 15-30 seconds so I haven't got to test my machine much but I've got a buddy with the card I ordered that has it working in his hackintosh so I'm hopeful that will solve my issues.

I'm not sure about the GPU but that will be your biggest challenge. Just find out what kext you need and if you need and injector. Google should be your friend on that. Otherwise just setup your config.plist properly and you should be able to boot.

I haven't tried el captain yet. If you can get Yosemite running most likely el captain will work as well. My other Mac machines are on Yosemite so I'm keeping this machine there. No real reason for me to upgrade at this time.

Best of luck,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:Your hardware looks fine except id probably go with a Broadcom card that will work out of box. Here's what I'm using http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-BCM943602 ... 5681c6f0b6
Only problem with the card is I haven't gotten it to work in my windows environment yet.

funny since this is almost the exact question I was coming back to this thread to ask.
In the event that it wouldn't work on windows (which version are you using ? i use win7 64bit pro), could you just have a suitable card installed for when you boot in to windows ... perhaps a bruteish way to solve the problem, but assuming you had a spare pci slot anyway ... would this cause any issues/connflicts booting into either osx or windows ? ...for windows at least, could you use the bios to select which one to boot with ?

cheers

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”