Windows 10 installs automatically during Windows 7 or 8 updates

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can use the freeware Glary utilites/advanced tools menu/startup manager menu/scheduled tasks..all the windows 10 related things have the windows 10 icon. I've never had an issue with it automatically updating, but if I did, I'm sure it would be listed there.

Numanoid wrote:So I wanted to download an app from Microsoft Store

In order to do so I need to have a Microsoft account, so I just add my regular E-mail and select a random password as I do not expect to be using that account on a daily or even monthly basis.

But then, when I have left the computer for a while, it has went to sleep, and I go back to wake it up, suddenly it is that account that has taken over my computer, I need to use that account to be able to log on, and if I am not online it will not log on

WTF :x :x :x

So far I have only good experience with Win10 but this seriously pissed me off. I needed to use half an hour to google and search Windows settings, and find out how to be able to use an offline account on my own computer :help:
How about changing your settings? Oh wait, that would be too obvious and easy, let's just go on the internet, and complain about Microsoft, and the injustice, and intrusive behavior against the user. Btw, you can completely remove your acount again even. How fantastic is that?

T-CM11 wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:Go on, keep telling me XP is not secure... It is, at least, secure from Microsoft attacks.
XP is not secure. End of story.
XP is secure for music production. Audio files and plugins will not attack your OS. :P
ZQ just posted on the internet, which obviously means that he is on the internet with his XP machine. I wouldn't exaggerate either though, that whole security hysteria thing is quite pumped up these days. I mean, what do you do when your internet browser doesn't get updated for 2 weeks? Or flash doesn't get an update, although critical security leak XY, which could make attackers take over your computer if A, B, C is true, and your have to do D, E, and F to make it happen, is very likely to put your PC in major danger. Or not. Or so. Nonetheless it's probably a good idea to upgrade, but hey, he's so pissed off by Microsoft that he leaves no chance to talk about it here, so he better should just use MacOS. Or better Linux, fits better.

chk071 wrote:How about changing your settings? Oh wait, that would be too obvious and easy, let's just go on the internet, and complain about Microsoft, and the injustice, and intrusive behavior against the user. Btw, you can completely remove your acount again even. How fantastic is that?
Get a life, what happened to you off late, grumpy geezer :roll:

I didn't go on the internet and complain, I fixed the problem first. I went in here to share my experience, if anybody else like me, my post serve as a warning to be more careful about setting an account and password, when using Live

chk071 wrote: ZQ just posted on the internet, which obviously means that he is on the internet with his XP machine. I wouldn't exaggerate either though, that whole security hysteria thing is quite pumped up these days. I mean, what do you do when your internet browser doesn't get updated for 2 weeks? Or flash doesn't get an update, although critical security leak XY, which could make attackers take over your computer if A, B, C is true, and your have to do D, E, and F to make it happen, is very likely to put your PC in major danger. Or not. Or so.
I'm on the internet too, but my DAW PC isn't. And plenty of other devices in my home aren't either.
I don't think I'm going for that NIC implant in my brain either. :hihi: :wink:

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:How about changing your settings? Oh wait, that would be too obvious and easy, let's just go on the internet, and complain about Microsoft, and the injustice, and intrusive behavior against the user. Btw, you can completely remove your acount again even. How fantastic is that?
Get a life, what happened to you off late, grumpy geezer :roll:

I didn't go on the internet and complain, I fixed the problem first. I went in here to share my experience, if anybody else like me, my post serve as a warning to be more careful about setting an account and password, when using Live
No. Instead of solving the problem, you once again did what you do best. Deactivate your brain, and post on the net. Actually, you didn't even have to use your brain, you could have just googled. It's all there, a gigantic repository of knowledge and wisdom, if used right. That's what i usually do, but hey, not everyone like to solve his own problem, some just like to complain all day, because it's so much more fun. And i'm not grumpy because of your post, i'm grumpy because of the general stupidity in this thread, even generally on the net. And also the negativity about everything. It's really horrible.

T-CM11 wrote:
chk071 wrote: ZQ just posted on the internet, which obviously means that he is on the internet with his XP machine. I wouldn't exaggerate either though, that whole security hysteria thing is quite pumped up these days. I mean, what do you do when your internet browser doesn't get updated for 2 weeks? Or flash doesn't get an update, although critical security leak XY, which could make attackers take over your computer if A, B, C is true, and your have to do D, E, and F to make it happen, is very likely to put your PC in major danger. Or not. Or so.
I'm on the internet too, but my DAW PC isn't. And plenty of other devices in my home aren't either.
I don't think I'm going for that NIC implant in my brain either. :hihi: :wink:
Fair enough, but it seems ZQ uses XP exclusively. Anyway, i don't know, and he should do what makes him happy. Just don't get why he rants here, if he's not happy with what he's got. And i couldn't care less what he uses actually.

chk071 wrote: Fair enough, but it seems ZQ uses XP exclusively. Anyway, i don't know, and he should do what makes him happy. Just don't get why he rants here, if he's not happy with what he's got. And i couldn't care less what he uses actually.
Maybe he lives in a poor country? But still... these aren't the 90s anymore, buying a cheap up-to-date computer device for internet only shouldn't be that hard.

chk071 wrote:No. Instead of solving the problem, you once again did what you do best. Deactivate your brain, and post on the net.
You don't understand English anymore?

I wrote that I spent time to find out how to return the settings in Windows 10 to not have to log in on start up:
Numanoid wrote:So far I have only good experience with Win10 but this seriously pissed me off. I needed to use half an hour to google and search Windows settings, and find out how to be able to use an offline account on my own computer :help:
If anybody need to read more before going on the attack it is you

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:No. Instead of solving the problem, you once again did what you do best. Deactivate your brain, and post on the net.
You don't understand English anymore?

I wrote that I spent time to find out how to return the settings in Windows 10 to not have to log in on start up:
Numanoid wrote:So far I have only good experience with Win10 but this seriously pissed me off. I needed to use half an hour to google and search Windows settings, and find out how to be able to use an offline account on my own computer :help:
If anybody need to read more before going on the attack it is you
Well, my apologies then. It's all in the Windows settings though, and quite obvious too. Anyway, sorry for coming over rude, not exactly having a good day today. Nonetheless this thread in general is not exactly a fountain of well thought out arguments and logic. Rather something for the conspiracy theorists, and people who need to vent off about big corporations.

chk071 wrote:Well, my apologies then. It's all in the Windows settings though, and quite obvious too. Anyway, sorry for coming over rude, not exactly having a good day today.
Yeah no problemo, we can all have a bad day

The thing is that I went out of my way when upgrading to Win 10 to override the default settings to not use any password when login in, and not use an online account.

These settings should not be reset, just because I wanted to download an app from Microsoft store.

As I need to enter a password/username when going online on my network, I might not have been able to go online after the computer had gone to sleep, so I would not be able to log into an online account when I woke it up again, rendering me with a locked computer :scared:

People should stop using terms like "big corporations".

They're just a group of dickheads, exactly like this group. No difference.

They do dickish things and make comments that aren't well thought out. That's just the way people are.

In any case the best advice at the moment is to disable updates to prevent forced upgrade. In fact this is a great idea across the board due to the absolutely horrible "assume always connected" behavior of modern software.

You can enable windows firewall itself to block updates and other applications from communication online. Definitely do this. Go into the advanced options and select "block all outgoing connections not explicitly authorized" which is by default disabled. Now you need to explicitly add each application you want to allow such as your browser, a certain host application (if certain plugins need a net connection) and so on.

Disable the windows update service and other automatic update services and networking features you don't need (remote desktop).

Now that your PC can't communicate with the outside world you're safe up to the point that you install a trojan yourself. Don't do that.

I've been running like this for over a year now. It is possible to enable updates and manually vouch each individual update, although in the last few sets there are only one or two "vouchable" updates with the other 14 being variations on "do not want".

Win7/8 are no longer directly supported and unless there are major security issues with core features (there are, regularly) there won't be any more significant updates. When there are major issues you'll be able to identify the update to fix them and whether you need it.

If you don't have the time to vouch updates manually, just disable them completely. Problem solved.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:If you don't have the time to vouch updates manually, just disable them completely. Problem solved.
+1

I have disabled automatic updates on all my computers, mostly because it takes time shutting the computer off, and starting it up again. I want to be in control of that time, and only do updates by starting that manually.

I'm just sorry for anybody preparing for a big meeting the next morning, and when turning on their laptop at the meeting to put their documents on the screen, they are told that "Windows is about to improve their user experience"

Numanoid wrote:These settings should not be reset, just because I wanted to download an app from Microsoft store.
The lesson here is unfortunately: You can not trust modern software, for anything, ever.

If you run anything that isn't "normal" day-to-day stuff, you need to very carefully monitor the things it does. It isn't trustworthy. I don't care if it comes from Microsoft or Apple or whoever, you can't trust them period.

The only time you should trust software is the software you built yourself.

It takes an enormous amount of effort to "babysit" misbehaving software, so you have the option to either 1) lock it in a cage, 2) put it down or 3) spend the effort.

The really amusing thing is that at some point for ordinary users we're going to be back in the early 90s in terms of "you must be a computer-guy" to use any of this stuff. All in the interest of "ease of use" :)
Last edited by aciddose on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Numanoid wrote:I'm just sorry for anybody preparing for a big meeting the next morning, and when turning on their laptop at the meeting to put their documents on the screen, they are told that "Windows is about to improve their user experience"
Especially the guys who have Macs.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”