Windows 10 installs automatically during Windows 7 or 8 updates

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:Especially the guys who have Macs.
I know several people who dual boot Win on their Macs

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dual- ... s-os-x-mac

OSX is an absolute bloody nightmare to use professionally these days. You need to have a separate network-isolated system that can't communicate with the outside world except what you explicitly authorize.

Otherwise, for example you might be working on a project one day only to turn on the screen the next and find your application has been "updated" and you can't even load the project you were working on anymore.

Or settings are changed from what you'd previously set them to along with the "update"... if Apple (xcode where I've experienced this) is going to decide what is best for my code perhaps it should also be writing it. I'll send them some emails containing specs and a weekly memo asking for project status reports. I expect their team to show up for meetings at 7am on my front porch.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Especially the guys who have Macs.
I know several people who dual boot Win on their Macs

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dual- ... s-os-x-mac
Are you saying you think windows updates dont work on the Windows install of a dual-boot mac? Because we've never had any such issues, on any of the dual-boot or virtual machines we support.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

chk071 wrote: To be fair, there is a lot of useful functionality, at least for me, when using the Live, or Outlook Login. Just like on an Android device with your Google login. What people call "fetching data" is also for comfort functions, which make operating the computer easy. It is also being used partly for personalised ads in some apps. Unlike on Android devices, there is no necessity to use the Live login though, on Android it more or less renders the device useless, when you don't use it with your Google account. Actually, your Google account is more or less the main reason for using Android, because it's all based on Google's Service, and literally nothing works without it.
Obviously there are some advantages for logging in with Live account, especially if you want to keep all your things synced between various devices. But that's also a main problem for me - as I do not want my data exfiltrated by default from my desktop computer. I absolutely hate that MS is trying to force my desktop into phone paradigm. It's appalling to put it mildly. My desktop is not a f*cking phone and there's no similarity between them in usage. And what's worse, they try to do it by using dirty tricks on every step where they can get away with it.

And just a fun fact: just updated my Windows 10 virtual machine that I use to test this cr@p out and it seems it broke the Windows Update functionality completely. :lol: This thing seems to be still beta quality.
No signature here!

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:Well, my apologies then. It's all in the Windows settings though, and quite obvious too. Anyway, sorry for coming over rude, not exactly having a good day today.
Yeah no problemo, we can all have a bad day

The thing is that I went out of my way when upgrading to Win 10 to override the default settings to not use any password when login in, and not use an online account.

These settings should not be reset, just because I wanted to download an app from Microsoft store.
They shouldn't. You need a login for the store though, as it's a store like Google Play and iTunes is, and it assumes that you'd also want to buy something there sometimes, or keep your app history, or sync your apps between your devices, stuff like that. It works just like Google Play and iTunes. It's true though that Windows shouldn't revert settings, i also had settings reverted when i updated Windows 10, which is a bit of a pain. There were no settings reverted on the Threshold 2 update for me though, maybe that's that then. Personally, i like to use a login, because, for example, my Microsoft Edge bookmarks and settings can be synced, apps use my Microsoft login to set up my mail account for example, or my calendar dates, stuff like that. For people who don't want that, there's an extensive dialog where you can turn single apps off for the data usage, or you can simply remove your MS account if you don't want or need any of that. As i wrote, unlike Android, Windows will also work, as it always did, without an account.

As Android and Apple had so much success with their services and stores though, MS tries to follow that way, and does the same thing. It could do it a lot better though, and more obvious IMO. Why not give people some onscreen hints when they set up the OS, to show what's new, and what's possible, what the store is about, what the Microsoft services are about and all that. My guess is that it would bore people, so they decided to scratch the idea. Unfortunately, that way, many people will just use the OS like Windows XP, and click away all the new stuff, which in my eyes is a bit of a shame. I must also admit though that Google for example is doing a much better job with the implementation of store and services into their smartphone OS, and also into ChromeOS which i tried recently. Appears to me that MS is lagging behind now, trying hard to catch up, but the people in charge of GUI design, and overall app design are just not up to par to the guys @ Google and Apple. Hope that will change one day.

whyterabbyt wrote:Are you saying you think windows updates dont work on the Windows install of a dual-boot mac? Because we've never had any such issues, on any of the dual-boot or virtual machines we support.
No I'm saying that on a regular PC or Mac running Windows, start up time might be affected if an update is to be installed, and sometimes a user don't have that time.

If about to put documents on the video canon at a meeting, and Windows need to use several minutes "to improve my user experience" it comes across as I didn't finish my work in time.

"Anderson, whenever you are ready" :scared:

robotmonkey wrote:My desktop is not a f*cking phone

vs.

Sure, alright, although my desktop has a phone.

Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

robotmonkey wrote:
chk071 wrote: To be fair, there is a lot of useful functionality, at least for me, when using the Live, or Outlook Login. Just like on an Android device with your Google login. What people call "fetching data" is also for comfort functions, which make operating the computer easy. It is also being used partly for personalised ads in some apps. Unlike on Android devices, there is no necessity to use the Live login though, on Android it more or less renders the device useless, when you don't use it with your Google account. Actually, your Google account is more or less the main reason for using Android, because it's all based on Google's Service, and literally nothing works without it.
Obviously there are some advantages for logging in with Live account, especially if you want to keep all your things synced between various devices. But that's also a main problem for me - as I do not want my data exfiltrated by default from my desktop computer. I absolutely hate that MS is trying to force my desktop into phone paradigm. It's appalling to put it mildly. My desktop is not a f*cking phone and there's no similarity between them in usage. And what's worse, they try to do it by using dirty tricks on every step where they can get away with it.
As i wrote, you don't have to use a MS account to use Windows. Unless you want the functions i described of course. And yeah, they try to do money with the user with personalized ads and all that. That's basically the price for using their services, which, like with the Google services, cost them. Many of the "data usage" is rather for comfort function in the OS though, like on Android.
robotmonkey wrote: And just a fun fact: just updated my Windows 10 virtual machine that I use to test this cr@p out and it seems it broke the Windows Update functionality completely. :lol: This thing seems to be still beta quality.
Meh. I actually had a problem on my desktop machine, which didn't get the Threshold update, even 3 months after it was released... i found out that i can update manually then, by using the Medie Creation Tool, which simply upgrades your computer, from Windows 7 or 8, but also if you're running an older Windows 10 version. Did that, and it worked fine. From what i wrote, some antivirus, or firewall software can sometimes interfere with updates, maybe that's what happened in your case. To be safe, i completely removed my antivurs before doing the manual update, because that's what was recommended online, and installed it after the update again. Dunno if that was really necessary, after all i got the update on my laptop, and i'm using the same antivirus there, but who knows.

This is still a deal?

I haven't had the problem here on this machine for quite some time now (of course now that I said that..... :hihi: )

I've been using Windows since Win 3.1 ('93 ish). I love it

I'm very happy with Windows 10

I run it on several computers already.

However, I was taken off guard by the Microsoft account need, that I would have to log on, and also have to be online

Numanoid wrote:Just reclaimed 6GB of HDD space on Windows 10 by this nifty tip:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/wh ... delete-it/
3GB here. Thanks!
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Windows 10 automatically installed on my machine. The kicker? I was already using Windows 10! Have been since October! Thankfully, all of my files are in place.

edit: apparently, that was Windows 10 update 1151, which took me to what appeared to be a Windows 10 reinstall. After doing some Googling, it appeared that the release coincides with the date that I had to reinstall Windows 10 on a new hard drive.

Come July 29 Win 7 and 8 users wont have to worry about Win 10 installing automatically anymore.

After that date you gotta pay to upgrade to Win 10 :wink:

You think they wont extend it? Last i checked, even with the malware-like upgrade tactics, they still have yet to reach their goal one billion installations.

Maybe they wont have the balls to extend, maybe well see some server accident upgrade oops type stuff.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

I was "forced" to upgrade because there were no option to click "no thanks" or "not now". At first there was and I postponed it for as long as I could. I know many people said they had no problems but I had a lot.

I still have 2 issues that can't be solved. I need to refresh bitrate in windows every time i boot up the computer or else the sound from my FS2i2 will put out very bad sound. I need to open services in windows and manually start PACE for iLok even though its set to start automatically.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”