A little game: How fast is your startup?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have no idea. I start my machine and leave the room to do something else and when I get back it's always up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

A bit over a minute to windows but a bit over 2 before everything is ready to go.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Literally seconds. SSD is a real honest-to-goodness game changer. I haven't got my stopwatch out, but it's so fast it's scary.
Last edited by incubus on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

My Windows 10 install, on an SSD, time from BIOS to login screen is about 5 seconds. And about another 10 for the desktop to fully load after the password entered. I don't really use any DAW's on this install. Not entirely confident on compatibility issues etc.

My Windows 7 install, same computer, but running from a 1Tb WD HDD took 2 minutes 39 seconds from BIOS screen to arriving at the "Steinberg Hub" in Cubase 8. Well over half of that time is Cubase initialising plugins and so on. BIOS to login screen was 27 seconds.

I'll have to clock mine later , but I don't see it being slow at all from power switch to grub2 to Windows10 login to desktop . I have Windows10 on SSD , 6gb RAM , i7 920 . Now my Linux is on a small partition on a HDD and it boots slower . My next computer build will be all SSD drives . Now my Macbook Pro HDD and 4gb RAM i5 dual core is slow , and has gotten slower from Snow Leopard to El CrappyTan

fedexnman wrote: El CrappyTan
:lol:

zerocrossing wrote:I have no idea. I start my machine and leave the room to do something else and when I get back it's always up.
Exactly, I find that using Cubase, if you load the DAW to quickly after starting your computer, it can have issues finding licenses and start that awful license re-scanning routine.

Extremely annoying and time consuming...

incubus wrote:
Hey El CrappyTan Please " Make OSX Great Again " lolzzzzz

1,34 > Macbook 2.1, 10.6.8, Logic 9, ES2 :party:

Guess Reaper is even faster :tu:

edit:

Yep, 0:51 :clap:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

fedexnman wrote:
incubus wrote:
Hey El CrappyTan Please " Make OSX Great Again " lolzzzzz
"hey apple......hey apple.......hey apple hey apple"

"what?????????"

"you broke everything again with your "new and improved" OS.

(give ya 3 Canadian pennies if you get it)

Didn't get that one ? Or did I ? I remember Nirvana bass player saying " Hey Axle " a bunch of times , then throwing the bass guitar in the air only for it to come down and hit him upised the head ? Back in the 90s oh what fun was that to watch . MTV

It was stupid and I was drinking. It was "annoying orange" from the first episode.

Lamer than lame. Apologies all around.

Installed Ubuntu Studio Xenial Xerus on a HP Compaq 6910p laptop with 2GB RAM

Takes 1.45 min from cold start up until I have Bitwig up and running.

Not fast, but not too bad for such an old system either

Mine it taking about 8-9 seconds from BIOS flash on the screen to desktop. Win7 64 bit, SSD, 16 gigs, i7 4.0Ghz Devil's Canyon. System is about 2 years old now though, so I imagine we can get it even faster now.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

0 seconds. I keep my computer on 24/7. Just turn off the display.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”