Is it advisable to recycle the PC case when building new?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

incubus wrote:You really owe it to yourself to get a dedicated vid card. Doesn't have to be anything expensive, but a fanless 1gb or higher card will do the soul good.

I've heard people troll me and others saying that the built-in is fine, but it's really not.
After a couple of weeks using the computer, I got little complaints.

But in a sense, why have a tower with lots of space in it, and not add additional stuff.

I think the tinker in me will try do some mods given a month or two :D

DevonB wrote:
incubus wrote:You really owe it to yourself to get a dedicated vid card. Doesn't have to be anything expensive, but a fanless 1gb or higher card will do the soul good.

I've heard people troll me and others saying that the built-in is fine, but it's really not.
Why? In my DAW, I'm using the Intel HD 4600 GPU from my processor, and it works great running 2 1920x1080 monitors. Waste of money for a DAW unless you had a specific need for it.

Devon
I agree, as long as the on-board video supports all important standards and the user doesn't play demanding video games, there is no need for a dedicated graphics card. Much of the entire PC arms race is due to gaming, while most applications are quite humble in terms of graphics. Computer music can also be quite demanding, but in terms of CPU, not graphics.

Regarding the case, I think a quality case can last 15 or 20 years. Casings are highly standardized, so it's really mostly a matter of build quality. But of course you will need a better power supply when your new components are much more demanding.

fluffy_little_something wrote:But of course you will need a better power supply when your new components are much more demanding.
Is there a way to see in Windows if that is a problem?

Sort of like a chkdsk for the power supply?

Don't know of programs, but there are guides on how to determine your new power supply's ideal power rating.

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:But of course you will need a better power supply when your new components are much more demanding.
Is there a way to see in Windows if that is a problem?

Sort of like a chkdsk for the power supply?
Possibly, I've never seen that but it doesn't mean it's not available. One of the nice things about PCs :)

If you need to spec your components to determine maximum wattage demand, everything in the case should have a max wattage rating on it. Just add them up and multiply by 1.4 to determine the safest rating.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Regarding the case, I think a quality case can last 15 or 20 years. Casings are highly standardized, so it's really mostly a matter of build quality. But of course you will need a better power supply when your new components are much more demanding.
Not necessarily so. You can maybe get by with two builds. Like 5-8 years. But eventually you are going to run into problems with missing headers for new standard ports on front panel for example. Not end of the world though. This of course will depend on what motherboard you have and so on. As for example some high end motherboards come with front panel drive bay mounted breakout boxes for extra ports.

My current build has still some years of life in it but when I would do a new one I would definitely want to keep my Antec P193 V3 case as it's absolutely fantastic (and quiet).
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Regarding the case, I think a quality case can last 15 or 20 years. Casings are highly standardized, so it's really mostly a matter of build quality. But of course you will need a better power supply when your new components are much more demanding.
Not necessarily so. You can maybe get by with two builds. Like 5-8 years. But eventually you are going to run into problems with missing headers for new standard ports on front panel for example. Not end of the world though. This of course will depend on what motherboard you have and so on. As for example some high end motherboards come with front panel drive bay mounted breakout boxes for extra ports.

My current build has still some years of life in it but when I would do a new one I would definitely want to keep my Antec P193 V3 case as it's absolutely fantastic (and quiet).
As I have 2 Antec Sonata II cases still in use today that I've had for 11 years and no plans to replace either, so I'd disagree with that one. Front headers are a "convenience" if needed. If not needed, they are not needed. Breakout plate always comes with the motherboard, so that's not an issue. A case is a case. They don't wear out at least. :)

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Numanoid wrote:

After a couple of weeks using the computer, I got little complaints.

But in a sense, why have a tower with lots of space in it, and not add additional stuff.

I think the tinker in me will try do some mods given a month or two :D
Why? Cooling. A full case can make it harder to cool (obviously depends on the design and the internal components), which in turn runs hotter, which in turn is more noisy and/or overheats.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
DevonB wrote:

Why? In my DAW, I'm using the Intel HD 4600 GPU from my processor, and it works great running 2 1920x1080 monitors. Waste of money for a DAW unless you had a specific need for it.

Devon
I agree, as long as the on-board video supports all important standards and the user doesn't play demanding video games, there is no need for a dedicated graphics card. Much of the entire PC arms race is due to gaming, while most applications are quite humble in terms of graphics. Computer music can also be quite demanding, but in terms of CPU, not graphics.
Heck, even the onboard for games I've been quite impressed with. The concern comes from HIGH graphics demanding games (Witcher series, Tomb Raider series, Skyrim, etc.) I've watched an i3 3245 onboard HD 4000 do surprisingly well for quite a few 3D games. Can you crank up Skyrim to Ultra? No. But it still will play Skyrim. I've played Evolve with the settings cranked up on a laptop with a HD 4400, and worked great! Bottom line, don't underestimate the onboard video until you've tried them.

Back to topic, I had an EVGA 210 fanless card in my DAW before my last build. The new Intel HD 4600 is MASSIVELY more powerful than it, and it's one less thing making heat in my case with it removed.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nv ... 7740vs2168

Devon

Power supplies degrade over time too for their output power. If you can at least see the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v lines are holding above their rating, then good. Once they dip below, even just slightly, I start to have odd problems on my machines (slow running, drives restarting, computer freezing, etc) I'd replace them after 4-5 years, as that's about as long as they seem to last for me.

Devon

spacekid wrote:^ https://www.asus.com/support/Article/565/ .How to find your MB number
It is model P8Z77-L VLX

No longer sold, but valued at about $300 new when it was sold

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131824

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”