El Capitan - is it safe? (now)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did the upgrade today - so far so good. Only things causing problems are Crusher X (which is crashing in some hosts) and Corel Painter 2016 which needs reactivating but won't connect to Corel's activation server for some reason.

Apart from that the only annoyance is I can't use apps that enable customisations on a deep system level like Totalfinder due to the System Integrity Protection - Totalfinder I have replaced with Pathfinder which is better anyway, but what is slightly annoying is I had replaced those horrible bright blue folder icons for dark grey ones in Yosemite (to match Dark Mode) but now I'm stuck with the blue ones again and can't seem to change them any more.

I also updated recently (about 2 weeks ago) from Mavericks, and also for me, so far so good. As I suspect you did, I specifically chose this moment right before Sierra's release, when El Capitan is presumably as stable as it's going to get and before the nuttiness cycle begins again with a new OSX. My hope is this upgrade will carry me through another 2+ years at least.

el cap runs fine for me here.

RME drivers are rock solid as always.

@aMUSED: you could deactivate SIP, wich would also be a requirement to change the system icons i think. I changed mine in the beginning, it's working for sure.

lot's of videos on YT as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-76K7cFfzU

aMUSEd wrote:Did the upgrade today - so far so good. Only things causing problems are Crusher X (which is crashing in some hosts)...
Would Logic X be one of these hosts?

Sampleconstruct wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Did the upgrade today - so far so good. Only things causing problems are Crusher X (which is crashing in some hosts)...
Would Logic X be one of these hosts?
Solved, I just read your post in the accSone forum. Thanks for this report, I might make the move now as well.

Well it doesn't crash in Logic, not tested it any more extensively yet though.

I just upgraded one of my Macbooks, why does it install version 10.11.2 from the App Store and then tells me to upgrade to the current version 10.11.6? This is silly...

Testing things on my Macbook, AU validation in Logic X fails for all the RX4 Advanced plugins, the standalone version works alright. So this would force me to upgrade to RX5 Advanced which I avoided up to now.

EDIT: But I see there is an update issued August 2016 for RX4 which I am downloading now.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Testing things on my Macbook, AU validation in Logic X fails for all the RX4 Advanced plugins, the standalone version works alright. So this would force me to upgrade to RX5 Advanced which I avoided up to now.

EDIT: But I see there is an update issued August 2016 for RX4 which I am downloading now.
The RX4 Advanced update from August 9th 2016 (version 4.03) fixes this, all plugins seem to work as expected (I was especially checking all the GRM Tools stuff as these plugs haven't been updated in ages).

Managed to get Painter authorised but had to temporarily disable system integrity protection to do it - also changed my icons to grey ones while I could

aMUSEd wrote:Managed to get Painter authorised but had to temporarily disable system integrity protection to do it - also changed my icons to grey ones while I could
Except now it's asking me 'Do you want the application “Corel Painter 2016.app” to accept incoming network connections?' every time I start the damn thing - it's already set to do this in the Firewall so why is it still asking this?

Sampleconstruct wrote:I just upgraded one of my Macbooks, why does it install version 10.11.2 from the App Store and then tells me to upgrade to the current version 10.11.6? This is silly...
That's odd - it upgraded straight to 10.11.6 for me, as I would expect.

aMUSEd wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:I just upgraded one of my Macbooks, why does it install version 10.11.2 from the App Store and then tells me to upgrade to the current version 10.11.6? This is silly...
That's odd - it upgraded straight to 10.11.6 for me, as I would expect.
Maybe because it was an upgrade from Mavericks and there are things in version .2 which were needed to be installed first, who knows, it's all working alright now.

I was forced to ditch Totalfinder and look for something new due to SIP - anyone looking for a decent enhanced Finder, Pathfinder is totally brilliant, my new favourite Mac utility along with CloudMounter. It's incredibly powerful.

Other than a backup, any prep/precautions advised before the upgrade?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”