Headphones aren't working

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi,
my headphones are plugged in, but the sound dialogue box shows that it's not plugged in. how do i make my headphones work, help?? :(

Need more info. Which sound dialogue box? Which operating system? Where do you plug in the hadphones? And so on. Try to reflect on a person trying to give you help here. How is he supposed to do so, if you don't give any info at all?

well i have windows 8, i plugged in the headphones in the headphones jack, then i played a song, i couldnt hear from my headphones, my internal speakers were working, i right clicked on the volume button on the right corner of the screen and a menu popped up of "playback sounds, recording sounds, sounds, volume mixer, volume control options", i clicked on the playback sounds where it displays speakers and headphones. speakers are enabled and have a check on it and is set as default, whereas the headphones says "not plugged in" when they are!!!!
i hope now question is clear, and you can help me with it!
thank you

Is this functionality you had before and now lost, or is this the first time you've plugged in headphones?

Desktop or laptop?

i've had it before and i have lost now
laptop asus x555l

Did you do an OS upgrade, or was it working on Windows 8 before too? Also, did you update, or change the audio driver recently?

You can also check, if there's been an audio driver update via Windows Update maybe. Control panel -> type in "Update" in the search field in the upper right, and then click on "Show installed updates" or something similar, then you can see if there was an audio driver update maybe.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon May 23, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i did, all of this!!!

fatimakhant wrote:i did, all of this!!!
You mean you upgraded Windows, or installed an update for the audio driver?

Test that your headphone jack is the problem or your phones themselves.
If the jack, I would suspect physical damage and not software.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

did all of this!!!! :( :(

fatimakhant wrote:did all of this!!!! :( :(
So where`s the problem...in the PC or the phones?
If the PC, you may have either damaged the jack to circuit board connection or fried the headphone op amp circuit.
In Win7 here, I don't see any separate software control for the jack vs speakers. (Control Panel/Sound)

i clicked on the playback sounds where it displays speakers and headphones. speakers are enabled and have a check on it and is set as default, whereas the headphones says "not plugged in" when they are!!!!
Sorry, I don`t have this in Win7. Both items are blacked out.

It's really easy to damage those minijack connectors on laptops. I've done it myself. Have you tried a different set of headphones, and checked the headphones work elsewhere?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”