AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scotty wrote:We're winning now. There is a another team on the field and some bonafide competition. That is going to put negative pressure on price and positive pressure on innovation regardless of which manufacturer you choose.
Yeah that's the most positive thing, and I've said before that its hardly as if X58 was perfect out of the gate. Honestly, I can't wait for the second revision of Ryzen as Intels had 7 generations to get the current hardware to where it is, and three of those saw hardly any performance gains. AMD's now looks to be on a 12 month cycle unlike Intels 18 month one. Give it a year or two and they could be absolutely curb stomping the market if they get the next few generational refinements right.

At the very least it's going to force Intel to stop kicking the tires, I'm getting as bored of their lack of progress as anyone at this point.

Just to check, is "AM4" the proper chipset?

incubus wrote:Just to check, is "AM4" the proper chipset?
Yes, it is.
It's easy if you know how

New AMD Ryzen Microcode Update Will Expand Memory Support
AMD’s technical marketing lead Robert Hallock later confirmed Samsung B die DDR4 memory indeed offers the best out-of-box compatibility with Ryzen processors and the highest overclocking results. He also confirmed that a BIOS update will be rolled out this month to enable out-of-box compatibility with a large collection of Hynix based memory modules.

Why are everyone so anxious to overclock? Are they really that underpowered? :?

One would think the 8-cores would be fine for a while...
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

In the meantime...
"We do not recommend overclocking a processor that we charge more for the ability to overclock it." - Intel
Intel Says i7 7700K CPUs Shouldn’t Be Overclocked In Response To Countless Overheating Complaints

Lesha wrote:In the meantime...
"We do not recommend overclocking a processor that we charge more for the ability to overclock it." - Intel
Intel Says i7 7700K CPUs Shouldn’t Be Overclocked In Response To Countless Overheating Complaints
That's a misleading headline.

"We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called ‘de-lidding’). These actions will void the processor warranty.”
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

That processor is clocked very fast by Intel standards, it is probably already overclocked by default 8)

I won't buy Intel, but if the 7700 were from AMD, I would prefer it to Ryzen I suppose because it has excellent single-thread performance and doesn't cost much.

I have a 7700k running at 4.5Ghz (not that I want to overclock, but using the RAM XMP profile that's what I get) and it barely reaches 60°c at full load.
(with a noctua fan)

I'm waiting for the 32 real-core version.

All joking aside, that is really something!

Not sure how reliable these benchmark results are, but the 1600 is about as fast as the 1700, and clearly faster than the 1600X. Would be odd if it were true...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/desktop.html

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-lineup-threadripper/

Suddenly the CPU power race is moving veheheheeerry quickly... gee I wonder when we would otherwise ever have heard of the Core i9-7920X (all search results are no more than 3 DAYS!)... probably still cost $2500... should change the thread to "AMD's AROCKIN'!!!!
Last edited by Debutante on Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Debutante wrote:http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-lineup-threadripper/

Suddenly the CPU power race is moving veheheheeerry quickly... gee I wonder when we would otherwise ever have heard of the Core i9-7920X... probably would have cost $2500... should change the thread to "AMD's AROCKIN'!!!!
Woot woot!

However, since they are not compatible with AM4, they are of no use for me yet. Specs looks more like previously teased server-class CPUs, though.

Anyway, it's incredible how they pull out this monster out of hat just like that. Looking forward to official info.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Debutante wrote:http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-lineup-threadripper/

Suddenly the CPU power race is moving veheheheeerry quickly... gee I wonder when we would otherwise ever have heard of the Core i9-7920X... probably would have cost $2500... should change the thread to "AMD's AROCKIN'!!!!
Woot woot!

However, since they are not compatible with AM4, they are of no use for me yet. Specs looks more like previously teased server-class CPUs, though.

Anyway, it's incredible how they pull out this monster out of hat just like that. Looking forward to official info.

no surprise there. its a server chip jimmied so you can't use more than one CPU at a time. I was wondering how you get that 32 cores on such a regular die, with the same manufacturing process.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”