Recommended Audio interfaces, low noise, low latency?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im currently using an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R in a live rig for gigging, its getting old, and there are also 2 problems with it that has led me to the conclusion its time for an upgrade.

The first issue is the latency, I tested the round trip latency around 14ms at a buffer size of 64ms (the lowest setting) if I recall correctly. I dont mind it, but the other guitarist in the band has a much 'faster' ear than me (hes the lead guitarist, so he has much more of an ear for fast notes), and he notices the latency much more, but we didnt realise it was an issue for him until he recently played through a normal amp and felt like it was making sound 'before' he was picking the note (cause he had gotten used to the latency). This has made it clear to me that he needs a much lower latency to feel more comfortable, since for live playing if hes feeling the latency it will definitely impact his feel.

The second issue is the inherent noise on the instrument inputs. Im using amp sims, and if I dont set the gate on Guitar Rig 5 to around -60dB, there is a HUGE amount of noise coming through, especially with a crunch or higain sound. This noise is present even if I turn the guitar pickups off completely, its just there in the interfaces inputs/preamps I think. This noise is also getting distorted and added into the tone of the final product, and it makes the top end sound hissy/brittle/harsh, and also interferes with the attack of notes, especially during faster playing. I played around with EQing the guitar signal before sending it to Guitar Rig and rolled off the top end (above around 10Khz) and it definitely made a big difference, but it also kills some of the nuance of brighter pickups.

So what I really am hoping is, is there a decent interface out there, that can get a crazy low latency and still be stable, and also has really clean, digital noise free inputs. Im also hoping I can get at least 4 inputs, the more the better tbh. Im using a recently built, decked out rack PC with Windows 7, I dont mind if the interface is USB or PCIe or whatever. And for now Im not really worried about price, just want to know what the best options are. Ive heard some good things about RME, but Im a bit confused by their products, and which would be suited for my needs.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

I was just researching this stuff so I'll throw in my two cents (1 cent after taxes). RME is probably going to be your best option if you want the lowest latency and a super clean sound. The Babyface Pro is their entry-level unit at $750 but they also have PCI interfaces like the Hammerfall for a bit cheaper.

I haven't tried RME myself yet but that seems to be the top choice among guitarists on various forums. Apparently the latency is less than 4ms at 48kHz/64.

I've been using a Focusrite 2i4 since the begining of the year and it works well. Right now I'm working on posting a review of it from a guitar perspective. I was using an Avid Fast Track Solo before and it was much duller-sounding compared to the 2i4, like having the guitar's tone knob turned all the way down.

The Focusrite and similar interfaces are probably going to have similar latency to what you have now, however, unless you run them at higher sample rates.

With my setup the 2i4's latency is 13.5 ms at 44k/64, 12.4 ms at 48k/64, 10.4 ms at 88k/128, and 9.5 ms at 96k/128.

Regarding the noise it's probably the amp sim, a pedal, or cable that's causing it. I haven't tried Guitar Rig but some amp sims and pedals are noisier than others. Most of the ones I've been using lately have very little noise and I rarely use a noise gate. You may try some different amp sims since some really good ones have come out lately. I have a list of a bunch of different ones on my website:

http://masters-of-music.com/list-of-bes ... -amp-sims/

Kazrog's new Thermionik amps are pretty popular. I really like the red channel on the Duality 3ch amp with a tubescreamer of overdrive pedal in front. Total shredding crunchfest.

thanks for the reply, RME keeps getting mentioned everywhere I ask, definitely seems like the best option.

As for the noise - Im pretty sure its not the amp sim, not that Guitar Rig is the best one out there, but this noise occurs when the guitar cable isnt even plugged in to the interface, or if its plugged in and the guitars volume is rolled off completely, just if I arm the input in my DAW. Any half decent amount of gain (as all amp sims will have) really brings it out unless I gate the input signal around -60dB, but the issue is that the inherent noise is definitely getting added into the ampsim and coloring the tone something chronic.

thanks for the list btw, will definitely check it out. one of the things i love about guitar rig is the UI, its great for making live rigs, especially the 'container' aspect, so I can have multiple setups within a single patch and use my FCB1010 to switch containers on/off. but now im getting off topic.

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I like the Yamaha(listed as Steinberg)line personally. They have a 4 in for around $300 I believe. I have the UR22, because it's all I need, and I love it. Also, doing a few computer modifications like stopping CPU parking and making sure that there are no background conflicts anywhere will also help to improve any interface. The last generation UR22, gets around 3.5-3.9 msec round trip latency. The current generation is supposed to get close to zero. They may have a direct monitor that gets 0.

I've had my fair share of various audio interfaces going through the studio and the story has been the same for a decade. RME was on top back then (and the only ones actually advertising the benefits and importance of low latency!). RME is still way ahead today.

There's just no competition at all. RME drivers are rock solid and packed with ridiculously awesome features.

Heck I paid a pretty penny for the Prism Orpheus and drivers at release were ridiculously bad. Even the latest drivers (that haven't been updated in years) are crap. It's infuriating that companies do not understand their own products and the needs of the everyday consumer. $4000 worth of hardware is utterly useless if the software is shoddy. Only RME seems to have understood that.

Okay, correction.. Universal Audio seems to be on the ball as well but they are kind of an exception as Software of their interfaces is the life line.

Anyhow.. I'm babbling and ranting here. I have almost zero respect for all audio interface companies except RME who's praises I will be singing to my grave.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

^ If you don't mind the expense. Doing a check on RME babyface latency, it is actually slower than my UR22, at three times the cost. But if expense doesn't bother you, go with it.

I'm constantly having problems with my Roland Quad-Capture and Studio One Pro 3.2+.
I don't know if it's the DAW or the interface's fault. I talked about it at Presonus forum but didn't get much help.
Without going into details here, I'd like to find a budget interface that is rock solid with Studio One.

spacekid wrote:^ If you don't mind the expense. Doing a check on RME babyface latency, it is actually slower than my UR22, at three times the cost. But if expense doesn't bother you, go with it.
The fact that you can set an UR22 to a lower latency than a BabyFace is meaningless. Start taxing your CPU and very quickly only one of the interfaces will deliver error-free audio. Driver-wise there are no better audio interfaces on planet earth than what RME has to offer.

I'm with bmanic on this.
Save up for the RME - you won't regret it. Forget all the cheap stuff, especially if it's for live use.

Liero wrote:
spacekid wrote:^ If you don't mind the expense. Doing a check on RME babyface latency, it is actually slower than my UR22, at three times the cost. But if expense doesn't bother you, go with it.
The fact that you can set an UR22 to a lower latency than a BabyFace is meaningless. Start taxing your CPU and very quickly only one of the interfaces will deliver error-free audio. Driver-wise there are no better audio interfaces on planet earth than what RME has to offer.
Nice to know. I'm as happy as you all are with your RME, with my interface..so I'm really not here to argue, just to share opinions.

Well, far be it for anyone to listen to me, but your comments about the babyface are flat-out false.

I guarantee you, with 0% chance of error, the babyface will beat a UR22....no, leave the UR22 so far in the dust that you'll not be able to see it in the rear-view mirror with same settings.

In fact, if you do a little research (no, I'm not doing it for you, I already did mine) the Steiny units are known for poor latency.

Anyways, think what you want, but to the OP the babyface pro has been light-years from any soundcard I've used (yes, including expensive motu units)

incubus wrote:Well, far be it for anyone to listen to me, but your comments about the babyface are flat-out false.

I guarantee you, with 0% chance of error, the babyface will beat a UR22....no, leave the UR22 so far in the dust that you'll not be able to see it in the rear-view mirror with same settings.

In fact, if you do a little research (no, I'm not doing it for you, I already did mine) the Steiny units are known for poor latency.

Anyways, think what you want, but to the OP the babyface pro has been light-years from any soundcard I've used (yes, including expensive motu units)
B/S . I looked around forums to what people were actually listing as their latency achievements with it. Take that up with them.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”