seemingly random dpc latency in many modules

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MIchael I recently ran into these issues after 4 years of trouble free operation at 32 sample latency. Then, it went to hell. I recently had reinstalled chipset drivers from my ASUS 09x79 board and it reset (undone) all of the tweaks that I had done to power settings, background tasks and video optimizations. I went through the cantible guide and it improved but wasn't perfect. The powersettings made the biggest difference. I then downgraded my video drivers to an older AMD catalyst set and things went back to normal. I don't know if this is helpful but I'd look to those powersetting tweaks in the guide.

lilmike wrote:Hi all,
I tried slim drivers, and it reported no updates. The only thing I can tell that really makes it worse is when I plug in my Wi-Fi adapter. I'm not sure if this has to do with my Wi-Fi driver is self, or something to do with USB, and I'm not sure how to check.
Thanks,
Michael.

lilmike wrote:Hi all,
I tried slim drivers, and it reported no updates. The only thing I can tell that really makes it worse is when I plug in my Wi-Fi adapter. I'm not sure if this has to do with my Wi-Fi driver is self, or something to do with USB, and I'm not sure how to check.
Thanks,
Michael.
Hey, you could unplug and disable your driver to check it. It sounds more and more like a TCP/IP windows issue to me. They are still using(even in windows 10)an NT kernel that it is build around, and it can cause seemingly random problems. Mainly a blue screen when going online. If you are going to try disabling your Wi-Fi driver and going offline. Use task manager to turn off TCP/IP, just to test. My guess is just a hint, as I've run into unsolvable issues with this before. If it helps, you'd just have to manage the online services manually. There aren't really fixes to core kernels until windows does something, you may find some software that advertises a fix though.

I should add specifically, look to disable in services tcpip.sys . Which may just be listed as something like tc/pip services. It should take out the underlying kernel, which is ntoskrnl.exe

Hi,
Sorry about not replying, my computer that's not my music computer also went on the frits (a dying hard drive this time), and I just ended up throwing linux on it haha. Too bad I can't do that with my music computer, but whatever. Anyway, When I said the only thing I can tell that makes it worse, I meant that it can be somewhat bad/noticeable latency with no wifi adapter plugged in, but when I plug in the wifi adapter, it gets, often, horrible. I will try what you suggested, though I guess it will only help with the wifi adapter part of it, and not the underlying issue.
-Michael.

metamorphosis wrote: In your case it says the USB driver is a culprit, however in my case it said the same thing about the firewire driver... but it wasn't. LatencyMon lies - a lot. Or rather, windows lies. What's causing the problem may not be determinable from looking at LatencyMon, only from experimentation.
Definitely try another video card, or the onboard video, and some of the above.
It's not so much that it lies, it's more that things internally tend to hook into a whole load of subsystems you don't always expect. A big pain in the neck can be reported TCP/IP problems that magically get resolved with a gfx driver change.

Seems weird?

Well, yeah. Until you realise that the is a NVidia networking service running, that does regular call backs to look for updates. Kill the Nvidia service, or remove NV Experience and it solves itself, but LatencyMon wouldn't have pointed in the right direction... however it is technically right in that it's a network problem manifesting, it just isn't explaining the whole story behind the issue.

Once you've figured it out, it's often a case of "Oh, so that makes sense", although obviously it's often headache inducing trying to get to that point.
lilmike wrote: I tried slim drivers, and it reported no updates. The only thing I can tell that really makes it worse is when I plug in my Wi-Fi adapter. I'm not sure if this has to do with my Wi-Fi driver is self, or something to do with USB, and I'm not sure how to check.
Wifi's one of the most common sources of headaches; try another brand of Wifi stick. If you have a USB 2 port, use that if only for troubleshooting, it's going to be less fussy than newer USB 3 ones can sometimes be.
spacekid wrote:I should add specifically, look to disable in services tcpip.sys . Which may just be listed as something like tc/pip services. It should take out the underlying kernel, which is ntoskrnl.exe
ntoskrnl.exe is the backbone of windows, if you take that out your Windows drive is going to be a paperweight. You can kill the TCP/IP service, which will stop problems occuring with anything attached to it (ethernet/wifi/antivirus/software updates & callbacks) for sure, but it's a rather shotgun approach to the problem. If needs must, however, I guess.

Hi all,
Just an update, I actually went ahead and reinstalled windows, and, so far, it's actually really bad latency. I am thinking this could be because I haven't got drivers on it yet, but still, when it gets the slightest load, for example installing my screen reader, it starts making audio hiccup like crazy. Would this point to a hardware issue? Or should I reinstall my drivers, one by one, and see if things get better/worse?
Thanks,
-Michael.

At this point, it's clicking because you haven't installed the drivers. Go and get the latest from the correct manufacturer websites.

Install motherboard drivers first, then the rest.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Hi,
Just updating everyone, I haven't had much time, but I'm working on installing updates ATM. Unfortunately, with how slow the computer is being lately, this is no easy feat. I'll update everyone when I get these updates installed lol.
-Michael.

And yet another update, just in case it could be relevant. My computer's been really, really slow since I got it back from the repair shop (odd how that works), and I always attributed it to driver issues. However, it just hit me, that I've been installing windows updates (around 250 of them), for over half a day now, and it's only at 80%. This does not seem normal, even for a computer with no drivers (am I right?) If this is the case, what could cause this? I would not guess ram, as generally a problem with the ram causes crashes in my experience, and the only thing I can think of, besides the hard drive which is brand new, is the CPU. Perhaps, when it was running 95 degrees c +, it somehow got damaged? What are y'all's thoughts on that? I'd really prefer it to be a driver issue, as I really don't want to buy a new processor, but still, I can't help but look at the facts as I know it.
-Michael.

95 is pretty hot. look up your cpu and search for recommended temp range. In general, your up to getting close to the max of some processors. 60 is usually around the minimum.

lilmike wrote:Would this point to a hardware issue?
Of course it could be a hardware issue. And reading that you already tried many different drivers makes it more likely.

Ok, if it could be a hardware issue (which I'm thinking more and more it has to be, I'm just going to keep installing drivers to make more sure, but still) how would you go about pinpointing which piece of hardware? Also, a similar question, which types of hardware would you think would/could cause this if they've gone bad. I'm thinking CPU, Harddrive, and possibly ram, though in my experience ram tends to cause crashes more than slowdowns.
Thanks,
-Michael.

Your in the right ballpark I reckon.

I'd also expect a slow down if it was overheating (leading to cpu throttling) the processor, or if a harddrive was failing and it has to do a whole load of house keeping to keep the data safe.

Each drive manufacturer makes it's own testing tool, download all the ones you need and test them one by one.
CPU testing, well in the case of slow down's, it'll happen when the CPU is running too hot. Grab a copy of CPU coretemp or similar and monitor it whilst using the machine to see how hot it gets. It'll throttle around a 100 degrees, although at stock, it should be more around 40 - 60 degrees in use and maybe up to 80 if your overclocking hard and 100% loading it. Maybe worth getting a stress tester and running it alongside it to be sure. Prime95 or OCCT should be fine.

Hi,
Just an update, I actually booted into an archlinux live environment to remove windows 7 from the equation, and here are my results:

1. Certain parts of installing packages was painfully slow. For example, when install about 20 packages requred to compile and install other testing tools, there were steps, for example checking keys in keyring, that took over 3 or 4 minutes, when on a much slower machine running archlinux regularly, it takes around 2 seconds at most.

2. Running prime95 (mprime), all tests passed, that is to say, there were no errors in the rounding or anything to suspect the cpu was failing somehow, at least in the way it does it. The memory, as I used blend test, was also fine as far as I could tell.

3. I ran memtester, and tested about as much memory as I could without the kernel killing it, and for 10 cycles, no errors were reported.

This is about all I've had a chance to do, but as it's a live environment, and has nothing to do with the drive, I think I can confidently say that the drive either has nothing to do with it (likely, imho as it's only 8 months old and hardly has any use), or 2. The drive isn't the only problem.

I'm probably going to check the motherboard for blown capacitors soon, though that will probably require some sited assistance, but if that comes up with nothing, I'm honestly stuck.
-Michael.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”